cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android 2.2 update

Journeyman

Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/

And all without the Android 2.2 update...

Galaxy S Propels Samsung to Number 1 Android Handset Maker in US

Posted by: Scott Webster

The figures are in and it looks like the third quarter (Q3 '10) was very kind to both Samsung and Android.  Gartner has just reported that the handset manufacturer accounted for 32.1 percent of all Android smart phones sold in the United States over the previous three month period.  That's up quite a bit from Q4 '09 where they had a shade over 9 percent of the market.

In a related note, the Galaxy S series of phones has now eclipsed the three million shipped marker, thanks to no less than six wireless providers offering a model in the flagship line.

“I want to personally thank everyone who selected a Galaxy S smartphone as their mobile handset of choice. Neither of these wonderful accomplishments would have been possible without the loyalty and support of our customers,” said Dale Sohn, president of Samsung Mobile. “The Galaxy S portfolio has played a significant role in Samsung’s success in 2010 and we are extremely excited to show you what products, services and innovations we have in store for the U.S. market in 2011.”

Journeyman

Ya know I paid good money for the device itself and also for the extra monthly charge for this "superior" phone.... I don't have my Froyo update yet which they keep saying we are going to get and I don't even have 4G coverage in my area yet that they said I would have by now.  THIS IS ALL JUST A BIG PILE OF FREAKIN HORSE ******!!!   (Now I feel a little better)

Message was edited by: dshoem01

Journeyman

They love selling them, wish they would put as many resources on keeping the flagship phones updated.  Read this story:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20024529-17.html?tag=cnetRiver

December 3, 2010 8:04 AM PST

Samsung ships 3 million Galaxy S smartphones

Four of the seven Galaxy S smartphone models.

(Credit: Samsung)

Samsung's Galaxy S smartphones have reached another milestone

The company said today it has now shipped 3 million Galaxy S smartphones. The figure comprises sales of the seven models of Galaxy S smartphones, including the Fascinate, Captivate, and Vibrant, currently available from all the major carriers. The announcement comes about three months after Samsung said it had shipped 1 million of the phones, which run on the Android operating system.

Samsung also noted today that it plans to upgrade the phones to Android 2.2 "in the near future." It wouldn't provide an exact time frame for the update.

On a related note, reports have been swirling that Samsung has sold 1 million units of its Galaxy Tab tablet. However, a Samsung representative told CNET today that the company has not officially announced sales or shipments of its tablet. The representative also would not confirm a report last month that claimed Samsung had sold 600,000 Galaxy Tabs.

Samsung's Galaxy Tab features a 7-inch display and runs Android 2.2. The device has been on store shelves for about three weeks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-mobile-earns-top-android-smartphone-provider-spot-q3-2010

Samsung Mobile earns top Android smartphone provider spot for Q3 2010

Posted on Friday, Dec 3, 2010 by Chris Parsons

It's been a whirlwind year for Samsung Mobile. The success of the Samsung Galaxy S line of phones has been phenomenal with over 3 million units shipped across major carriers within the US. Now, the recently released Samsung Galaxy Tab has already shipped 1 million units globally and that's just the key details of their year.

Having looked at the figures, Gartner research firm today has confirmed that Samsung Mobile captured 32.1 percent of the U.S. Android smartphone market in Q3 2010 based on retail sales, an increase from 9.2 percent of the Android smartphone market in Q4 2009. All of which pushes Samsung Mobile to the number one mobile provider slot within the US. Congrats go out to Samsung! But, let it be know that we've not forgotten we still need Android 2.2 to be released. Full press release is available after the break.

SAMSUNG MOBILE NAMED #1 ANDROID SMARTPHONE PROVIDER BASED ON RETAIL SALES IN U.S. & GALAXY S PORTFOLIO REACHES THREE MILLION SHIPMENTS MILESTONE 

Independent research from leading industry analyst firm shows Samsung captured top spot in U.S. Android smartphone market in third quarter of 2010

DALLAS, December 3, 2010 — Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile)1, the  No. 1 mobile phone provider in the U.S., today announced that third party research firm Gartner® reported Samsung as the top Android smartphone provider in terms of sell through to end users in the United States for the third quarter of 20102.  According to Gartner, Samsung Mobile captured 32.1 percent of the U.S. Android smartphone market in Q3 2010 based on retail sales, an increase from 9.2 percent of the Android smartphone market in Q4 2009.

Samsung Mobile attributes much of the success to its Galaxy S portfolio of premium smartphones, which recently passed the three million shipment milestone in the U.S.  Galaxy S smartphones are currently available with AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless, along with U.S. Cellular and Cellular South.

“I want to personally thank everyone who selected a Galaxy S smartphone as their mobile handset of choice. Neither of these wonderful accomplishments would have been possible without the loyalty and support of our customers,” said Dale Sohn, president of Samsung Mobile. “The Galaxy S portfolio has played a significant role in Samsung’s success in 2010 and we are extremely excited to show you what products, services and innovations we have in store for the U.S. market in 2011.” 

The Samsung Galaxy S portfolio is packed with premium features and services, including a brilliant 4-inch Super AMOLED display screen, 1GHz Hummingbird Application Processor, Samsung’s Media Hub premium movie and TV programming download service and a full array of entertainment, messaging and social networking capabilities. The Galaxy S portfolio will be upgraded to the Android 2.2 (Froyo) operating system in the near future

For additional information on the Samsung Galaxy S portfolio, please visit www.samsung.com/galaxys.

1 Number one mobile phone provider in the U.S claim for Samsung Mobile based upon reported shipment data, according to Strategy Analytics, Q3 2010 U.S. Market Share Handset Shipments Reports.

2 Number one Android smartphone provider in the U.S. claim for Samsung Mobile based upon reported sales data according to Gartner Inc. Competitive Landscape: Mobile Devices, Worldwide, 3Q10 Report (published November 9, 2010 by authors Roberta Cozza, Carolina Milanesi, Anshul Gupta, Hugues J. De La Vergne, Annette Zimmermann, CK Lu, Atsuro Sato and Tuong Huy Nguyen)

About Samsung Telecommunications America
Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC, a Dallas-based subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., researches, develops and markets wireless handsets and telecommunications products throughout North America. For more information, please visit www.samsungwireless.com

About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2009 consolidated sales of US$116.8 billion. Employing approximately 174,000 people in 193 offices across 66 countries, the company consists of eight independently operated business units: Visual Display, Mobile Communications, Telecommunication Systems, Digital Appliances, IT Solutions, Digital Imaging, Semiconductor and LCD. Recognized as one of the fastest growing global brands, Samsung Electronics is a leading producer of digital TVs, memory chips, mobile phones and TFT-LCDs. For more information, please visit www.samsung.com.

Journeyman

So when that restaurant tells you your order will be ready in 10 mins...and its not, then they say itll be another hour, then after that hour ...its another hour...

We were all told that we would have 2.2 in sept...then oct.....then nov....now its dec and still nothing. SO yeah...We have a lot to complain about. I was told that my Epic came with 2.2 stock...lie. I was told that I would have access to 4g networks....lie. The closest 4g is about 50 miles from me. Its been one lie after another from sprint so yes Im pissed that they cant even get a simple update released. Im being forced to pay extra money for a network I dont have access to. All in alll.....theres plenty to complain about

Journeyman

No there isnt. Sprint never gave a release date and if u were told that ur phone came with 2.2 thats your fault for not doing your research. The guys in the Sprint Store usually have no idea what they are talking about.... But besides that there is nothing t complain about. Samsung released the step rollout plan months ago.. Sprint had nothing to do with it. Its every galaxy s. If that retaraunt did keep lying about m food i would eat somewhere else... maybe you should try att or verizon check out their plans and the see if you have anything to complain about when it comes to the 10 extra bucks

Journeyman

Ok Dev, first things first, I have to disagree with you. With a Sprint representative, a person has every right to believe they know what they are talking about, just as a person has every right to assume a doctor knows what they are talking about, or a mechanic. My question is, especially for something as small as a cell phone, why isn't that sufficient research? If I ask the guy at Sprint, or he tells me the phone comes with 2.2, why can't I take his word for it? You're trying to excuse them and put it on the consumer. That's ridiculous. Then you say there is nothing to complain about, yet the phone still doesn't have the updated OS, and it's still buggy beyond that. In the words of Microsofts desperate attempt to regain part of the mobile market I have to ask, "Really?" Then you suggest switching carriers, I'm sorry, but is it really that easy for an Epic owner? Serisouly, this is a new phone, which means you can probably assume the person got it for the contract renewal/new contract price. So what you're saying is that instead of Sprint/Samsung take a customer's complaints and concerns into consideration, the customer should just switch, regardless of how much they will loose (the contract buy out, this month's bill, the phone that they can sell on Craigslist for a fraction of what they paid for it)? Dev you're smarter than that. I can understand his complaint with the $10 charge. I am also not in an area that has even made the list of cities that they are considering to make the list of cities for 4G implimentation. However in my situation, I'm on The Simply Everything Plan, so I don't think I pay the extra $10. Obvisoulsy, most of us are locked in to these phones for at least a good year. So I don't want to hear about any solutuions that are going to cost me money, and make Sprint more. I don't want to hear stop complaining (unless you're going to take over my bill....I didn't think so). I don't want to hear anyone saying it isn't Sprint, or Samsungs fault (which is what I got from your posting), because I'm still a customer of both, so it is someone's fault.

Message was edited by: tdgreer1203

Journeyman

If it didnt come across in my last post, the fact that they dont know what they are talking about is really the only legitimate complaint. And my point was not that sprint should be able to do whatever they want and if you dont like it leave... my point is that if you REALLY felt like yu were being mistreated you would leave. Sprint has never pretended to have a release date for 2.2 on the epic and the fact that its every carrier should definitely show that the ball is in samsungs hands. The point that i am getting at is that if i say i will do something friday... dont complain on tuesday because its not done yet. Wait til the end of the year which is the projected release period and if it doesnt happen then there is a problem.

Journeyman

FYI.... Rumor on XDA forums is that Froyo started rolling out today... We know everyone wont get it at once but has anyone seen this?

Journeyman

can you post a link to the xda froyo rumors?

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.