cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android 2.2 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

android 2.2 update

has any one been able to either get adobe flash or , android update 2.2 instead of waiting for samsung.

623 REPLIES 623
Highlighted
Journeyman

1) Download the update from here:

http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_samsung_d700/1506bdf2e04b.update-SPH-D700_DI18...

2) Rename the update to "update.zip" and put it on the root folder of your SD card.

3) Shut down the phone, then restart in recovery mode by pressing the phone's volume-down, camera button, and power button at the same time.

4) Use the volume buttons to select the option to apply the update.zip and the "home" button to start the update.

That's all there is to it.

Google for more details if the above is too succinct.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks pierrat!    Just to be clear this isn't the pre-lease this is the formal release from Sprint.... correct?

Also just a FYI if you are running clockwork you have to use the camera button to choose the options not the home button.

FINALLY FROYO!

Highlighted
Journeyman

It also took ROOT privlages away, so you will have to re-root your phone

Highlighted
Journeyman

I went ahead and installed the downloaded version of Froyo tonight on my handset (hardware version D700.0.5).  Everything went very smoothly.  All of my data was fine, even my home screens were still in tact after the install.  I have never had much luck with my GPS on this phone...just didn't want to lock on even outside in the open.  After the update, my GPS is locking on almost immediately and can do so even from inside my apartment.

Very pleased.  None of my friends or family who have the Epic have received an OTA update as of this time.

Highlighted
Wizard

This is a leaked version of a release, not the official Sprint release.  When the upgrade is officially available from Sprint, I will post a thread in the Samsung Epic forum and update the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release blog.  Subscribe to the blog to get notifications when the update is available.

Install from any other site and it's at your own risk.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Once Sprint releases the Froyo update OTA, will those of us who installed the DK28 have access to the OTA update? Will we be notified?

Highlighted
Journeyman

blah blah blah is all i here from sprint im sorry i am so sick of sprint and samsung pointing the finger at each and no one taking ownership of the issues with the epic. i did not have to root my phone or download some custom rom or have issues with anything not working on my phone. after the official update everything is improved and way faster. of course sprint doesnt want to have the epic the way it is suppose to be when they released the phone. dont listen to them do the update its great. and you can always revert back and sprint will ever know.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If this is a "leaked" release instead of an official one, it's a damned fine leak.  I installed it using directions that I found in other forums and had no issue with loss of any apps, quirky behavior or general unpleasantness.  I've never been interested in rooting my phone, but I have been a little aggrieved with the amount of time it has taken to get the update out.  (And in a couple of months, we'll all be screaming for Gingerbread...get used to it!)

I will say that this update has turned my phone into a whole new beast...and I like it.  The human interface is prettier.  I would say that the phone has a much snappier response overall, but that could be an opinion colored by how much I am jazzed by the tweaks I am seeing in the UI.  This feels a lot closer to matching the expectations I had for the device (and the Android platform) when I first decided to shift over from my beloved Blackberry.  I'm delighted with the sheer potential for what is on the horizon with Gingerbread and Honeycomb.

Now if Sprint could just speed up the 4G rollout for "the rest of us."

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was able to update from a stock DI18 platform using the instructions with ease.  There have been many improvements, but there are still issues.  My GPS does not work, at all.  There is still no ability for bluetooth voice dailing (unless using something like vLingo).  There is also a (very noticeable) lag when switching from portrait to landscape and back on both the homescreen and apps.  The homescreen will take about 4-5 seconds to load the shortcuts and the auto-rotaion in apps takes a second to catch up.

On the plus side I like the 270 degree screen rotation addition and the new functions of the keyboards.  There are also more speech to action functions integrated.  Flash 10.1 works perfectly and there are several other improvements overall.

HOWEVER, the GPS issue is a huge problem for me.  I am considering flashing back to stock and re-trying the install in attempt to fix the issue.  If this does not fix it then maybe I will revert to 2.1 until devs actually fix this.  I have even considered dumping the epic all-together and getting the evo because things seem to just work on the evo....

SCORPIORC10, do you know of a simple way to revert back to the 2.1 platform without using the "odin method?"  I am hoping there is but haven't found a way quite yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

nope sorry I dont

Highlighted
Journeyman

This whole "leak" deal may be the way software developers find out the bugs and has them corrected before the "Official Sprint update".

Genius! Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather not be the guinea pig and patiently wait for the "Official Sprint update".......

Highlighted
Journeyman

totally disagree. the carrier is more likely to break the release than google. Who do you think has the better developers?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat