cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android 2.2 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: android 2.2 update

Correct that's what I am saying.  Each manufacturer sucked at updating until they got their flagship device which is based of a developers device.

Nexus One  spawned devices like EVO, Incredible, MyTouch 4G, but the MyTouch Slide which isn't based off it doesn't even have 2.2 yet without any information as to well.  Just everyone knows that it's coming.  MyTouch line I believe is at the end of it's ropes except for the MyTouch 4G.  Slide didn't sell well at all.

Droid, Droid X, Droid 2 (have to get them from Motorola developers program) well you see the result quicker updates for people.

Honestly from what I have read and what I have seen officially often at times some CSR or seller see's some rumor and think it's fact like the average joe and it suddenly becomes a promise or something of that nature.  I can't hold Companies on that promise as it was never officially stated by that company.  An example with that 2.2 update on Dec 26.  There are probably people peeved right now thinking it was promised to them.

With software development it is not always cut and dry, and giving a date and stating it may be delayed the only thing people are going to look at is the date and expect it on that date.  Like with Motorola's website.  People treated it like a promise, but they also stated it could be delayed or timeframes can change, and you should look in their boards.  Honestly sometimes it better to give less information than more information especially in this regards.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tidbits808 wrote:

Correct that's what I am saying.  Each manufacturer sucked at updating until they got their flagship device which is based of a developers device.

Nexus One  spawned devices like EVO, Incredible, MyTouch 4G, but the MyTouch Slide which isn't based off it doesn't even have 2.2 yet without any information as to well.  Just everyone knows that it's coming.  MyTouch line I believe is at the end of it's ropes except for the MyTouch 4G.  Slide didn't sell well at all.

Droid, Droid X, Droid 2 (have to get them from Motorola developers program) well you see the result quicker updates for people.

Honestly from what I have read and what I have seen officially often at times some CSR or seller see's some rumor and think it's fact like the average joe and it suddenly becomes a promise or something of that nature.  I can't hold Companies on that promise as it was never officially stated by that company.  An example with that 2.2 update on Dec 26.  There are probably people peeved right now thinking it was promised to them.

With software development it is not always cut and dry, and giving a date and stating it may be delayed the only thing people are going to look at is the date and expect it on that date.  Like with Motorola's website.  People treated it like a promise, but they also stated it could be delayed or timeframes can change, and you should look in their boards.  Honestly sometimes it better to give less information than more information especially in this regards.

I agree with you its when companies like Samsung stick a foot in their mouth by not saying that the date is subject to change, they just say oops we hit a roadblock if they even say that. People need to take these rumors and leaks with a grain of salt I think its the result of people's frustration that there have been no word from Samsung about these issues and mishandling of information. Had there been more disclaimers (there should be more of these when heading into unknown territory) I think that people will calm down with leaked materials whether its incomplete builds(DK28) or so called memos. Its sad because it takes these types of things to get a response from both Samsung and Sprint but yes less information is better than no information and thats all we want.

P.S. the only time I've seen the date subject to change from anything Samsung related was the expected date for the Final Samsung Moment Update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For about a week or two there was an "internal" memo pointing 2.2 coming to the epic on December 26.  After looking at the picture and the details you would tell it was faked or had nothing to do with the release of 2.2 on the Epic for consumers.

If you look at the Cliq boards on T-Mobile customers forums you will see what I am talking about.  Motorola makes it perfectly clear that dates can change, but people starting stating information passing through the grapevine through fandroid sites and eventually people started treating them like fact.  Eventually people are so pissed off at Motorola as if they did make a promise, but they never did.  So honestly even with disclaimers I don't think it will matter at all.

The way I look at the information is.  If they said by the end of the year it will be there if something arises that will not then they'll give a new date.  Sometimes you just don't know when problems will arise.  I would be more pissed if they took this much time, and gave me "slop" vs something that works better than before.

Before the epic came out that's what was said.  I didn't buy my epic thinking it could have 2.2.  I bought it because it was the best device for my needs at the time, and possible for at least the next 2 years of my contract or until something far better exceeds what I need.

I am all for more information, but with the way a lot of people are...  I understand why some companies don't wish to give them out especially with the stuff I mentioned above.   It kinda reminds me when AT&T said MMS for iPhones by end of summer, and you should have seen how many lawsuits arose before it was end of summer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've noticed recently that Sprint has completely dropped any mention of the Epic in their TV advertising.  They only talk about the Evo or the Tab, no mention of the Epic.  Have they now completely turned their back on the Epic?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tidbits808 wrote:

For about a week or two there was an "internal" memo pointing 2.2 coming to the epic on December 26.  After looking at the picture and the details you would tell it was faked or had nothing to do with the release of 2.2 on the Epic for consumers.

If you look at the Cliq boards on T-Mobile customers forums you will see what I am talking about.  Motorola makes it perfectly clear that dates can change, but people starting stating information passing through the grapevine through fandroid sites and eventually people started treating them like fact.  Eventually people are so ****** off at Motorola as if they did make a promise, but they never did.  So honestly even with disclaimers I don't think it will matter at all.

The way I look at the information is.  If they said by the end of the year it will be there if something arises that will not then they'll give a new date.  Sometimes you just don't know when problems will arise.  I would be more ****** if they took this much time, and gave me "slop" vs something that works better than before.

Before the epic came out that's what was said.  I didn't buy my epic thinking it could have 2.2.  I bought it because it was the best device for my needs at the time, and possible for at least the next 2 years of my contract or until something far better exceeds what I need.

I am all for more information, but with the way a lot of people are...  I understand why some companies don't wish to give them out especially with the stuff I mentioned above.   It kinda reminds me when AT&T said MMS for iPhones by end of summer, and you should have seen how many lawsuits arose before it was end of summer.

Exactly as I said in my last post things like that December 26th  "internal" memo should have been taken with a grain a salt. Now with people getting their hopes although they've been warned you can chalk it up to two things 1.) they ignore the warning given to them so as you said when leaked information turns out to be false and the date passes then they get mad as if it was true or 2.) Misinformation regarding the product leading to the same result of the Customer gets mad at manufacturer or carrier.

I bought the Epic after it came out yes I felt the hardware was superior but unlike previous phones I've done some homework on the background of the phone. It was because of the lack of information I relied on what the Sales Rep and the information he had about the phone, any app man knows that the internal storage depending on what app you use was crap, based on this I was told that the update would be out within the month so that I could transfer my apps to the 16gb storage card, that and latest update includes flash 10.1 which will make it easier to look at websites that require flash and thats another plus because my job requires me to be mobile.

Apparently that month has passed and after delay after delay we still know nothing until earlier this morning and sprint pushed an official communication to state that the update will be released in the near future, which is there way of saying we'll get it to you when we get it to you. It's one of those classic tales if I knew then what I know now then I probably would've not bought this phone. At the end day you're happy with the way your phone is now you knew the score again kudos to you. Again I sound like a broken record but I don't care if they take their time I prefer it because no one wants those Intercept shenanigans happening to the Epic. Just don't leave customers hanging saying things like coming in the near future because you didn't want to put in: date subject to change on your first announcement.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I wasn't expecting miracles with that Faux 26 December issue. I am however after such a long time sprint customer very unhappy about the whole update stuff. I know as well as those out there who are even more into their phones that Froyo has been released to several other phones and to the Epic overseas. The issue is not that Froyo has issues, it is the fact that sprint wants to make sure their proprietary software is working instead of sending out an update at a later time. I think it's ridiculous how sprint is so caught up in themselves that they would allow their customer service to fall so far below the standard just to make a buck.

Also, their sales people are almost like military recruiters in that, they will tell you anything to buy that expensive phone. I was told the same thing about Froyo and that was 5 months ago almost now. That month has gone, went come back again and left again!

Shame on you Sprint! Treat your Customers a bit better and you could still be the Nations #1 mobile phone company!

OK with that said, I still love my Epic 4g, best phone I've ever used but would really love to see Froyo come out soon so that I can at least get flash working on it for on the go presentations!

Highlighted
Journeyman

i flashed the dev froyo and have not regretted it a bit.  seemed to have solved  the issues I had and to fill in the holes that were present on a great piece of technology running an inadequate operating system.  too bad I couldnt rely on sprint to do this for me and had to go outside to fully actualize my phone, though. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

On top of all this, here is a little more for the fire.  I got the official samsung epic car dock kit for christmas and I cant use it all of its features.  If you want to plug your headphone cord into it and into your stereo for music you cant!  It has a neat little red sticker over it saying that feature is not available until 2.2 froyo is released.  And then samsung says in the instructions to download the car home app from the market.........yeah well it doesnt exist they have pulled the app down that they made for their own products.  This is awesome!

Highlighted
Master

Devils2582 wrote:

On top of all this, here is a little more for the fire.  I got the official samsung epic car dock kit for christmas and I cant use it all of its features.  If you want to plug your headphone cord into it and into your stereo for music you cant!  It has a neat little red sticker over it saying that feature is not available until 2.2 froyo is released.  And then samsung says in the instructions to download the car home app from the market.........yeah well it doesnt exist they have pulled the app down that they made for their own products.  This is awesome!

The dock application is still in the Android Market, I just found it when searching on my Epic, never looked for it before or had it installed so it couldn't have been in the cache either.

I just searched for "Samsung Dock" and it was the first thing that came up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@HALCYONCMDR117

That app is for the samsung desktop dock. It is called the "desk home" samsung epic.  The one for the car kit is called the "car home" samsung epic.  Even other websites have the bar code to scan and when you scan it, the market shows up and says its not there.  I found on another site that they have pulled it, but the person does not know why.  Yet the little instruction sheet that came with the car kit says you can download that app in the market.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Halcyoncmdr117  If your a true Sprint employee pass up the ranks that you guys need to be more transparent about what's going on and you wouldn't get flamed so damn much from your customer base... For example if say the hold up is there is a critical bug that causes crashes say that or if its because of Sprints apps say that (but you wont because then you will get flamed stating take them off the OS install which most people want anyways).  If thats to difficult for Sprint then they have a whole over issue...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I  JUST FOUND ON THE MARKET THE APP                                        DESK HOME SAMSUNG

AND INSTALED AND THAT IS HOW IT LOOK LIKE

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat