cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android 2.2 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

android 2.2 update

has any one been able to either get adobe flash or , android update 2.2 instead of waiting for samsung.

623 REPLIES 623
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello:

I've updated this leaked version of 2.2, but no body ever told me to do a factory reset before uploading. Now my GPS doesn't work at all and getting an app from the market takes ages.

Do you know how can I revert and do this again?

Plus if I were to do it, how can I back up all the info?

Too much of smart phone for me not so smart

Highlighted
Journeyman

In general, you're taking a little extra risk trying to flash without doing resets... same goes with PCs, right?

I tried like you did and had the same problem, but all my purchased software was reloaded in no time.

To get 2.2 WITH gps, I did the following:

1) Do a factory reset and wipe your phone.

2) Use the Odin method outlined here http://briefmobile.com/how-to-update-sprint-epic-4g-to-android-2-2 to load the original ROM (google for it).

3) Check your GPS...  it will get a lock.

4) Finally: Do a factory reset then re-load the 2.2 ROM (Froyo).

That's all there is to it. 10 minutes to do the whole thing.

Message was edited by: pierrat

Highlighted
Master

GARGANTULAKON wrote:

That is really sad to read that the 2.2 update is running poorly. I went from the Palm Pre to the Samsung Epic 4G to escape **** like this. I waited so long for the Palm Pre 2 and then found out that Sprint was not going to carry it. I had problems with my Palm Pre and I would hate to have to experience more bugs with the Epic 4G.

This leaked 2.2 version is not an officially supported software version. It is currently still in testing, it was leaked. However with the ease of installing it, many are choosing to do so.

Anyone who installs the leaked software will be running unsupported software and will probably be on their own when the official update comes. They may not be able to update to the new version. Running unsupported software voids the manufacturer's warranty. Sprint/Samsung are under no obligation to support this software version or any device that people have installed it on.

There have been 2.2 leaks for the Epic before, each of those had much larger issues than this one that have been fixed. That is part of the testing process. Do not take this version as being the be-all end-all for the final software that will be released. Until the actual version is available to install OTA with a notification from your phone (not downloading it from the Internet somewhere), it is not an officially supported version.

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is a bit of irony to be appreciated in the above post.

1) 90% of USEFUL support information I get doesn't come from Sprint - it comes from the user community like this.

2) Froyo fixes so many KNOWN bugs in 2.1 that I can't imagine any reason to go back.

The only downside is that a user has to acknowledge that you can't call Sprint for support on the ROM?

I'm good with that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My GPS wasn't working and my wifi never connected after I first went to 2.2 using the update.zip method.  I went back to 2.1 using Odin and then went to Google Maps, locked in my gps and made sure my Sprint nav also worked with the GPS.  Then I used update.zip and went to 2.2 again.  Now my GPS works and I get a GPS accuracy of up to 1 meter!  I thought 5 was good, but 1?  My wifi is also working well.  I still get the issue of my Samsung Program Monitor widget dissapearing everytime I uninstall any app.  Other than that, I'm happy with my 2.2.

If they do release the official 2.2 OTA, and we can't install it because of our DK18 2.2, then all you have to do is to go back to 2.1 using Odin.

Saving apps on the SD card is a great feature of this unofficial 2.2.  My benchmarks using Neocore is still showing 55 which is same as when I was using 2.1.  On Quadrant, I get slightly over 1000 which is a bit more than before.

Highlighted
Master

pierrat wrote:

There is a bit of irony to be appreciated in the above post.

1) 90% of USEFUL support information I get doesn't come from Sprint - it comes from the user community like this.

2) Froyo fixes so many KNOWN bugs in 2.1 that I can't imagine any reason to go back.

The only downside is that a user has to acknowledge that you can't call Sprint for support on the ROM?

I'm good with that.

Not just that you can't call Sprint for support. Rather if the device is taken into a store for service (like through TEP) your warranty will be marked invalid for using unofficial software. Same token if you go through Samsung directly they will invalidate your warranty. It doesn't matter if your issue is unrelated (like a cracked screen) because you have something that isn't covered (unofficial software) your entire warranty/protection coverage is invalid.

Now will every rep at every store mark your warranty invalid if you come in with an unofficial software loaded? No, of course not. There will always be a rep that doesn't know how because they haven't had to do it before, they don't care, etc. However Sprint and Samsung have that right to deny any kind of warranty or protection coverage because of that unofficial software regardless if you are paying for it (TEP) or not (warranty).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actualy I read a note on one of the android sites that sprint techs have been told if they have one come in with leaked rom to reset it back to 2.1 Eclair.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Gee I wonder if "Big Brother" here is blacklisting us as we speak?  Sigh.  Big corporations truly have us by the short and curlies people.  They take our money and lots of it, then when there is a reason to make more money (or save it by taking away the customer service) they jump at it.  i understand the need to not have to pay for people bricking their phones indiscriminately, but i have to say that the slowness of updating this phone which is the most EXPENSIVE phone is pretty dubious.  Then they threaten us. NICE!

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is a very simple solution... if you installed the leaked version of Froyo and have to take it in to the store, just use Odin to revert back to 2.1.  Same thing goes for when the official OTA update comes out (if ever).  And if you crack your screen and can't see anything on it to revert back to 2.1, throw it in the toilet and let the insurance do the rest. (That's what is nice about getting the phone through Best Buy... no deductible on their insurance, unlike Sprint's.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

HALCYONCMDR117 wrote:

Now will every rep at every store mark your warranty invalid if you come in with an unofficial software loaded? No, of course not. There will always be a rep that doesn't know how because they haven't had to do it before, they don't care, etc.

I've been to the stores - great people there, and I think you forgot to mention the more likely scenario:

The REP is not as uninformed as you suspect, but makes a personal and dissenting judgement on his/her own that the customer deserves a replacement (or will flash 2.1) regardless of company policy on TEP, all in the name of good customer service.

Anecdotal evidence, but: so far, Sprint support and people are far superior to ATT & verizion, despite the oddball now and then. Don't wreck my new phone high!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Russ,

The Sprint tech reps were very nice and accommodating when I visited my local repair center, but they did not know how to return it to eclair and told me they did not have access to the previous software.  They did take a  long time trying, and finally told me they couldn't fix it and that they would not report my phone so if I could figure out a way to fix it, there would be no record the OS had been tampered with.  They also said if I could somehow manage to return it saying the GPS was broken, the sprint store might not notice the upgraded OS.  I'm sure not all repair tech centers are as ineffective as the one I visited, but I do appreciate them just leaving the situation alone if they couldn't fix it.  Gave me a chance to learn a bit about how my phone works, and I did manage to get it working, with the help of all those who post on these boards.

Highlighted
Journeyman

man I wish I knew about the no deductible at best buy. grr. I have been using a phone with a cracked screen because I dont want to pay $100 until I have to.

I tried both methods on my phone. the camera is fine but the GPS isn't. I can't use the ODIN because the PC (win 7) cant update the drivers and install the phone. I brought my laptop home from work to try the XP. 

I love the new interfaces. the SMS has little voice bubbles making conversations easy to follow. The cut and paste WORKS. the dots on the home screen have numbers now, no biggie, but I can touch the dot and it scrolls for me. automatic updates!! flash 10.1, now i can go to the Sprint home page. That was a big duh on sprints part to use flash and not provide it for their phones. Also the gmail is more user friendly. there is now a silence button on the slide menu rather than having to hold the power button. there is now an onscreen volume slider with numbers. Every time i goto hit send I see something else positive.

I am really excited about the 2.2. besides the GPS issue which i hope to resolve, there is a lag going to the homescreen where it shows the wallpaper, but not the icons. also it has frozen a couple of times. My bookmarks are gone and the show windows is some cutesy icons instead of just a list.

all in all, once I fix the GPS, it will have been worth the effort.

PS, if you dont know what a root menu is, maybe you shouldn't try this. no offense

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat