cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android 2.2 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

android 2.2 update

has any one been able to either get adobe flash or , android update 2.2 instead of waiting for samsung.

623 REPLIES 623
Highlighted
Journeyman

YES YOU CAN, BY DOING THIS,

Recovery Mode

1. Turn your Epic 4G off
  2. While the phone is off, hold down the “Volume Down” button, “Camera” button, and “Power” button and hold them
  3. Now you will boot into Recovery Mode

Use the volume rocker to navigate through the menu options, use the “Home” button to select options, and the “Menu” button to toggle “manual mode.”

Recovery Mode allows you four options:

• reboot system now
  • apply sdcard:update.zip
  • wipe data/factory reset
  • wipe cache partition

Reboot system now – This will simply reboot the device and bring you back to a powered on, normal state.

Apply sdcard:update.zip – This will take any “update.zip” file on the sdcard and apply the changes to the phone. Update.zip files are often used for root procedures, ROM installations, and device modifications as well as updates.

Wipe data/factory reset – This will wipe all of the data and applications on the phone and reset the Epic 4G to stock factory data and settings.

Wipe cache partition – This action wipes cached data on the phone’s memory. Some device modifications will request or require this action prior to installation

SELECT WIPE DATA/ FACTORY RESET HAVE A WONDERFULL DAY

Highlighted
Journeyman

sd Method and i do have the s:d700.0.5s.dk28

Highlighted
Journeyman

Recovery Mode

1. Turn your Epic 4G off
  2. While the phone is off, hold down the “Volume Down” button, “Camera” button, and “Power” button and hold them
  3. Now you will boot into Recovery Mode

Use the volume rocker to navigate through the menu options, use the “Home” button to select options, and the “Menu” button to toggle “manual mode.”

Recovery Mode allows you four options:

• reboot system now
  • apply sdcard:update.zip
  • wipe data/factory reset
  • wipe cache partition

Reboot system now – This will simply reboot the device and bring you back to a powered on, normal state.

Apply sdcard:update.zip – This will take any “update.zip” file on the sdcard and apply the changes to the phone. Update.zip files are often used for root procedures, ROM installations, and device modifications as well as updates.

Wipe data/factory reset – This will wipe all of the data and applications on the phone and reset the Epic 4G to stock factory data and settings.

Wipe cache partition – This action wipes cached data on the phone’s memory. Some device modifications will request or require this action prior to installation

Highlighted
Journeyman

can someone help me i am a complete noob.  i am tring to flash back to 2.1.  I downloaded the odin and the pit file. but i am having trouble getting the tar.  I think i downloaded it but when i tried using the odin it just sits at param.ifs.  does it take a long time to do i am completely lost can someone email me and help me out

Highlighted
Journeyman

you can update to froyo now by going to xda dev web site under the epics forum they have step by step on how to update you dont have to be rooted and you must have the origional stock software in order to do so ive done it and have not had any problems no FC no lags nothing its very fast and smooth with a lil more options for personalization and more market programs are compat with it skype now works on the epic also nav is real fast much better than 2.1 try it you can always go back to 2.1 theres a link also there on xda for sprints stock 2.1 cause u have to be stock in order to upgrade to 2.2 with the leak.. the leak is official just not for public use

Highlighted
Journeyman

turns out i had to download the drivers for Samsung for the 64 bit.  Once I did that Odin could connect with the phone in download mode.

now I'm a little sad i did a reset and lost all my personal settings.

Highlighted
Journeyman

What I don't understand is:

1)  Froyo 2.2 is running just fine on the Evo with the Sprint apps

2)  Froyo 2.2 came on my wife's LG Optimus with Sprint apps and no isses

3)  Samsung Intercept listed at their site as running Froyo 2.2

4)  Samsung Galaxy Tab is running Froyo 2.2

Why is there such an issue with the Epic?  If these devices are using/running Froyo well, what is the difference in the codebase that is preventing Epic being released?  I love my Epic, but need to be able to install apps to the SD card, which is what Froyo will allow, IIRC.

smh....  I am willing to test whatever "release candidate" on my brand new Epic D700.0.5 if Sprint wanted me to under they guidelines if it will help to get Froyo released.

Highlighted
Master

KBBOYKIN wrote:

Why is there such an issue with the Epic?  If these devices are using/running Froyo well, what is the difference in the codebase that is preventing Epic being released?  I love my Epic, but need to be able to install apps to the SD card, which is what Froyo will allow, IIRC.

smh....  I am willing to test whatever "release candidate" on my brand new Epic D700.0.5 if Sprint wanted me to under they guidelines if it will help to get Froyo released.

Every model of Android phone has entirely different hardware and chip designs in it. Each piece of hardware needs new firmware/drivers for it. So for example the processor in the Epic is entirely different than the EVO or the Optimus. Then there are the GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth chipsets, the graphics chip, the hardware keyboard drivers, the capacitive sensor firmware, screen firmware, etc. Every chip in that phone uses its own software/firmware and each of these needs to be recompiled and tested for each new Android release.

Google only provides the base Operating System for Android, anything beyond that relies on the manufacturer and hardware suppliers to design and program, that takes time. Then once you have the base drivers and firmware you need to test it, fix it, and test for regressions. Then you add in additional applications and overlays like TouchWiz or Sense UI which deeply interface with the base Android system and you open a whole other can of worms.

Despite what most people seem to think on the Internet (read: ignorant average user who reads one line somewhere and thinks they are an expert on the subject), software programming and testing for each phone takes a very long time. Google doesn't make everything for every phone, most of the system is actually missing from Android when the source code comes from Google.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well,  I am not a programming expert nor a hardware expert, but I do know that each phone is different with different hardware.  I have followed these so-called leaks on XDA and there seems to be several of them.  My question is, why the epic?  What type of hardware makes it such a difficult phone to get up to speed with Froyo?  Did I make a mistake when I chose it over the Evo? I wanted and needed the best and waited to it seemed that Froyo was around the corner.  Now Im stuck with the Epic and still can't install apps to my SD Card.  What is the purpose of the SD Card if one cannot install apps to it in this scenario?

Highlighted
Journeyman

HALCYONCMDR117 wrote:

KBBOYKIN wrote:

Every model of Android phone has entirely different hardware and chip designs in it. Each piece of hardware needs new firmware/drivers for it. So for example the processor in the Epic is entirely different than the EVO or the Optimus. Then there are the GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth chipsets, the graphics chip, the hardware keyboard drivers, the capacitive sensor firmware, screen firmware, etc. Every chip in that phone uses its own software/firmware and each of these needs to be recompiled and tested for each new Android release.

Google only provides the base Operating System for Android, anything beyond that relies on the manufacturer and hardware suppliers to design and program, that takes time. Then once you have the base drivers and firmware you need to test it, fix it, and test for regressions. Then you add in additional applications and overlays like TouchWiz or Sense UI which deeply interface with the base Android system and you open a whole other can of worms.

Despite what most people seem to think on the Internet (read: ignorant average user who reads one line somewhere and thinks they are an expert on the subject), software programming and testing for each phone takes a very long time. Google doesn't make everything for every phone, most of the system is actually missing from Android when the source code comes from Google.

What annoys me is that we buy these devices from salespeople who seem comfortable with telling us virtually anything they think we want to hear in order to get us out the door with that handset.  I will acknowledge that there are differences between stores that are company owned and those that are franchise type units, but in regards to sales the two seem to operate in much the same fashion.

So we head home with our purchase.  We're early adopters and internet savvy, so we are aware of what's happening around us in terms of different manufacturers and the hardware and software that is available on each platform.  We read the gadget blogs, see the files and procedures posted on different dev websites and we wonder why we're getting (from a bleeding edge viewpoint) the short end of the stick.

After all that, we come here to find out the "real deal" with what's going on...and discover, to our horror, that Sprint's policy regarding disclosures about work in progress is neither open nor transparent.  So it devolves into a lot of bitching and whining and fingerpointing.  HALCYONCMDR117, I don't want (or need to know) what you're working on today or even if it is directly related to getting Froyo for the Epic out the door.  But your description of just what DOES come from Google is the first time I've had any inkling of what it takes to get an update out the door.

I'd still like to know what sort of resources Sprint throws at this sort of project, and whether things will speed up for the adoption of Gingerbread (and Honeycomb beyond).  One of the reasons I left my beloved Blackberry behind, in spite of its superior handling of the email experience, is because RIM took FOREVER to upgrade its OS, and then Sprint (and every other vendor, to be fair) had to take a fair amount to time to do the requisite testing of the ins and outs of its platform.  Google is committed to an upgrade schedule that seems to be firing one off every six months or so so I would hope to have my phone ungraded in less time than it takes for Google to release the next version upstream.

Some forum denizens are prone to flaming, others come to complain.  But I think we're all here for information and the above post lets me know some of what the support folks are up against.  Instead of so many videos about how to use our phones, how about one or two about what the devs are up against and what the process is to get an upgrade out?  Why not tell us "Hey, we just got the Epic/Galaxy S Froyo update files from Samsung last Tuesday.  It will take a week just to figure out what needs to be done." instead of this wall of silence?

I like Sprint and believe I get good service and value for my money.  What would make things perfect is to get better information from time to time...

Highlighted
Wizard

I realize that it will take some time to develop and test a new software release.  However, I agree with the previous post that some information, rather than silence, on the issue would be greatly appreciated.  For example, I've noted in other threads here that GalaxySsupport on Twitter has repeatedly stated that the Epic would get Froyo by the end of the year.  As far as I can tell, Sprint will not make the same statement.  We can't seem to get any kind of timeline on the Froyo release from Sprint besides "soon", or something to that effect.  I think people are willing to hang in there and wait as long as they have some idea of what's going on and why things are being delayed.  Not hearing anything can be frustrating.  Can we please get some additional information on the Froyo release and what's holding it up?  I think that's what most of us are looking for here.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Precisely.  I am not a wise***.  I WILL NOT install that update that leaked.  I just want to knows whats up or at least a more tangible timeline other than very soon.  If its gonna be January, then just tell me.  I have no problem with waiting.  I like the epic, but there are apps I want that only work on the Froyo.  These are paid apps, so I am not a free loader.  One of the big reasons I did not get the Evo, it looked more like a personal/media/entertainment device and I use my phone 70% business and 30% personal.  I left winmo 6.5 for android after much review, and testing it on a winmo 6.5 SD Card (Android on HTC).  I am a true HTC fan, but went with Samsung due to all the press/recommendations.  I am not a Sprint basher, having been with sprint since 1990.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat