cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android 2.2 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

android 2.2 update

has any one been able to either get adobe flash or , android update 2.2 instead of waiting for samsung.

623 REPLIES 623
Highlighted
Journeyman

I doubt that Sprint has much to say about this delay and probably can't get a straight answer themselves. Dual management consumer electronic companies like Samsung are notorious for communication issues. The culture of Samsung is that of a different world. Sprint really can't come out and say they don't know for sure or do anything that might offend Samsung execs. They get offended easily...

Samsung knows they are in the driver's seat at the moment as they are producing cellphones that are the buzz on the street.Sprint really has no leverage with Samsung. Any threats by Sprint would fall on deaf ears and Sprint needs to be on good terms so they get the next wunderphone... maybe be the first!

Please, don't anyone take this personally but.... try to get the world picture here and don't waste of minute of your life getting upset about a OS upgrade or a lack of communication or a cellphone in general! These are very complex toys. Roll in corp crazyness, economics, software flaws, marketing and a huge dose of hype and you've got the cell phone toy world.  ITS NOT GOING TO CHANGE OR IMPROVE. Companies really don't and can't care too much about us techys who are really never going to be entirely happy. If it wasn't froyo it would be something else. Despite all the issues we have they have sold MILLIONS of these. From their perspective everything is just fine. Think their management is just in the dark? Well send Gee-Sung choi a note and post his reply.

If you are upset enough to keep posting here or anywhere else you should get rid of your phone and try to get in touch with the more important things in life. Can't sleep, got to run that app that only works with 2.2? Hit your toe with a hammer and focus on REAL pain vs. OS upgrade deprovation pain. One is real one is not.

They probably have low level people working on the froyo / device upgrade customizations, they work SLOWLY cause they have to get everything approved by other more senior people... The really smart folks are finishing up the next product.

Regards

Highlighted
Journeyman

Who said anyone was upset.  That's the problem with people picking up a thread and giving opinion, not information.  I could care less about techy stuff.  As I said before, I want to be able to do some of the things that Froyo offers, mainly install to SD.  Re-read the post, I just want to know a better time-line or how I can help with testing, if available and if it would be helpful.  I, for one, can wait for an official release. I am very familiar how the real world works being in upper level management, so don't lecture me on that aspect.  Again, if nothing constructive to say, please don't respond at all, your post is taken as a deliberate attempt to incite argument.  I have watched this thread from moment one and seen the result of responses like this, it is just not professional. As I understand, these forums are to ask information and this is what I seek, not flippant responses "go hit my big toe with a hammer", now that's a very professional/adult response.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I guess you can chose to take a post anyway you like but you do seem a little tightly wound on this! You are completely wrong about my intentions.. I did say "don't take it personally" in my post. Within the realm of good taste I think we all have an equal voice here and the right to express ourselves as we see fit so it may be a little over the top in suggesting what people shouldn't or shouldn't speak about and how they do it.

I had no intention of any kind to stir any pots on this thread or any other and I'm sorry you saw it that way. The "toe" comment had nothing to do with being professional or an adult and it certainly wasn't directed at you. It was just meant to help put these technical issues on this particular device into perspective and give you an idea of the politics and potential corporate issues behind this delay and uncertainty plus add a little life humor. It is included here because there is no technical solution to this problem and the OTA update will happen when they are good and ready. I can't say what company but I've been with a major company for 25 years that regularly deals with Samsung. This is nothing new and is built into the company culture. In my opinion your not going to get a timeline and they don't need anybody's help to test the release.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Everything you said makes sense, i have been searching for froyo since i got the epic and finally after a couple weeks i found dk28, its 2.2.1...for some reason it was leaked because they were taking so long with 2.2...heres how i did it...from what i read you can always delete the update with a factory reset and everything will be normal again...the two operating systems are kinda different and there are noticiable minor changers as soon as you apply the update, personally i wanted to play rush poker on my phone and needed to 2.2 to do it...anyway if you want to try it this is how i did it:

1) Google search dk28 epic download samsung (Shouldnt be hard to find) download it to your computer

2) When download is complete, rename file to "update" or "update.zip" ultimately the file is suppose to be the latter but some computers will put the ext on there.  So with mine i renamed it update whereas had i renamed it update.zip it would of looked like this Update.zip.zip This would not install on my epic with this name

3)Connect your phone to computer in mass storage mode and just drop and drag your renamed downloaded file to the phone.

4) When your files have been transfered to your phone restart in recovery mode, with the phone off push the camera button , voulume up or down,(i found down worked better for me) and the power button for about ten seconds (it did take me a few times to get it right just try and push buttons down all at the same time

5) in recovery mode you can use the cursor arrow on the keypad to scroll down to install update.zip press the home key it should install the update and restart your phone...

Now enjoy what you should of had on your phone when you bought it, honestly we might see gingerbread before we see froyo officially so take in to your own hands and update your own phone

Highlighted
Journeyman

Being a little more than an ignorant average user, economic factors should play into this equation as well.  I've been in IT on the Telecommunication side for over 30 years.  From a company standpoint, good will is seldomly generated when customers pay premium price for a subset of features available on a lower priced model.  From marketing alone, it presents conflicting priorities, a major design flaw or an absence of integrity.  This phone can utilize a 32GB SD card but is severely restricted by the OS.  I like the phone but it eats batteries if you use it like any gadget person.  Please don't tell me how hard it is to get the job done.  Either tell us when it is going to be released, or tell us specifically why.  For what we paid for the phone in comparison as customers, an explanation is a reasonable expectation.  The manner in which this has been handled reflects negatively on Sprint and Samsung.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's not so much a problem with Samsung, they are ready from what I read to go forward with the update, it has to do with Sprint wanting to add in their Propriatary stuff to the update and it seems they are having issues doing that. As soon as Sprint gets their stuff loaded then the update will be out I'm sure.

I'm going nutz waiting for it, as the reason I went with the Epic was to make use of the 2.2 platform but it seems as when I had bought the Palm Pre' from Spint and they promised the stars, I ended up with the bowels of the earth.

I am a big fan of Samsung, just look at my house LOL but am not really pleased with Sprint Dragging their feet on this update. It was released in the UK over a month ago now for the Epic.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with you LEE from what i read Samsung blessed the update its just the sprint apps that are causing issues.  Sprint wont listen to the community because if they did they would push the update out without those apps and make them an optional install later on once they have them working.  Most people I know don't use them anyways, that includes myself and most my friends.  I am hesitant to root my phone because i have never done it before...so I'm waiting on Sprint to take advice from us and thats take out their apps and give us 2.2 and just release their apps at a later date once they are ready...just my opinion...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am glad we have Sprint folks here like HALCYONCMDR117 posting, because we do get good information from them.   The 2.2 for the Epic was leaked, and developing the delta from Google's OS release to what will run on the Samsung was Samsung's job.    Like trying to use Dell chipset drivers on an Acer... it doesn't work that way.   This little Epic is an open source based Linux computer for simplicity sake.    Linux always built the base OS, and the add ons and drivers for different pieces of hardware all come from anyone other than Linux.  ( I'm simplfying here... )   Technology has been advancing so rapidly we all want everything the day someone else has it... things don't always work like that.    Look at the process for Microsoft and their qualifying hardware vendors list, think about how long it took Microsoft to get Windows 7 ready to release.   The same thing goe for Android.   Ditto, but on a smaller scale.

I love my leaked 2.2.1, and will be ready to for the OTA when it comes.   I will probably have to Odin back to 2.1, but that okay.    We are living beyond that little technology line, anyone running the leak has to understand it is not official software.   I am a previous Moment owner, so for me the Epic is a DREAM!!!!!!!!!   I loved the Moment at first, but not as much as this phone...   So far the phone is hugely better!!   And 1 year from now something else well be HUGELY better.  🙂

BTW, the App called SDMove will allow almost every app to be moved to your SD card.

Just my 0.02 worth.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I cannot seem to find SDMove in the App Market.  Is there a URL to get it someplace else.  Can an .apk be transferred to the SD card and installed?

Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

Reminds me of that line in Gladiator -- "Some day, but not today". That day must not be close if you cannot even estimate when you'll have a plan. Will it be in the next 3 years? I'll probably have a different phone and possibly a new service by then. Did they really rollout such incompatible hardware or are they just locking everything down so we can't do much? I really should not have bought 3 of these.

Highlighted
Journeyman

SDMove is in the market and is by a person or company named Bitt Faulk.   Its listed as all one word.   Just double checked.

It is free, and works pretty simple and straight forward.  Rated 5 stars.   Here is a link to read more.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/sdmove/com.beaglebros.SDMove

This app moves apps that are already installed on your phone to SD.   Some apps don't like being move, others don't care, some actually prevent you from moving them.

Very nice and compact app that does just what it says.

Hope that helps!

Message was edited by: GMASSIE55

Highlighted
Journeyman

Are you using Froyo or Eclair.  This is what the links says about SDMove "SDMove finds apps on Froyo that can be moved to external storage (SD card) and provides an easy way to move them".  Requires Android 2.2 or higher.  This is why I can't see it on my Epic running Eclair 2.1.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat