cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android 2.2 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

android 2.2 update

has any one been able to either get adobe flash or , android update 2.2 instead of waiting for samsung.

623 REPLIES 623
Highlighted
Journeyman

erica6581 wrote:

I am as anxious as anyone is about the upgrade but I rather wait and have less "bugs" then have it now and my phone not work properly.   Samsung is not the only ones not producing promising upgrades and missing deadline but at least there is some communication unlike other devices I have owned.  Motorola is well known for dropping the ball on upgrades unless its a Droid.  I was hesitant to buy the Epic because in my opinion HTC is where its at as far as Android OS.  I also have had bad experiences with Samsung and Sprint in the past.  I'm actually quite pleased with my Epic so far and glad I chose to buy it.  I also would have regretted not havg a slide out keyboard.   I switched to Sprint from yrs with T-Mobile (I had Sprint pre T) because I was convinced my them to use my upgrade fo the CLIQ (Motorola0 despite wanting the Nexus One which was the new release.  They swore up and down it would receive upgrades and to this day its on 1.5.  if it wouldn't have been pushed so hard I wouldn't complain but they did, Moto made many release dates for an upgrade then dropped the ball with no word as to when why or how, and then despite me never wanting it to begin with and it not being the product they told me it was I nevr got comped, allowed an exchange or even an apology.  I wasn't on contract because I bought the phone full price and did one of their new plans so I am so glad I could just bail.  All they ever said is the CLIQ is a great device (to the user that does nothing but Facebook).   I want Adobe 10 and Hulu or whatever but I download torrents to my Epic so I have my entertainment.  For the people that can't figure out how to use the torrents that's what Media Hub and Skyfire  is for :-).  Its no big secret 2.2 has some issues and if waiting means avoiding those I am happy to.  I have my Epic exactly how I want it and don't want to lose any of my apps ordownloads just for flash 10.  I know 2.2 has other perks that are not priority to me at this time but it also has a few drawbacks.  I do wish they would hurry though and fix the bugs lol.

As with Motorola...  They have NEVER made a solid date, and only made a projected date stating that it could change and not a promise to deliver on the project dates. They have it in writing with normal text size like the rest of the page.  They have also stated why the delays.  Rumor sites are the ones that gave dates and people believed them.  I used to own a Cliq which my daughter uses until her contract expires and then she will be added.

People don't know how often HTC has dropped the ball, and believe they are all that handy dandy but as with any other manufacturer you will hear the same complaints.

As I mentioned people should check out other customer boards before bashing another company and advocating another and you will find they are no different than the one you are bashing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm sorry, but I have to take issue with all of your replies to my points.

1. I say don't believe Samsung because they literally have reneged on Android updates for certain devices citing "technical limitations." That was their first dabble into Android. Someone put 2.2 on the device and it ran flawlessly as opposed to Samsung's word. You can guarantee that Samsung learned the hard way to not BS customers in the Android world because someone will humiliate them very badly. Just put CyanogenMod on the phone when it is available anyway. Power users aren't going to stick with the sub-par interface Samsung put on there anyway. C'mon, a pink and purple Social Media widget? Even the press shots show that widget on the Epic having the correct color scheme; not the T-Mob one. Of course, that could be some sort of nod by Sprint to T-Mobile; their paths seem to be on an inevitable crash-course; especially with rumors about T-Mob partnering with Clearwire on an LTE venture.

2. Samsung HAD to fix that firmware issue. They were opening themselves & Sprint to litigation over services not rendered and false advertising. But from looking at the settings menu, someone is being lazy about 3G network optimizations; the phone still has the VOCODER set as EVRC where there is no excuse to not have it shipping with EVRC-B (or even EVRC-WB if the chipset could perform it and they wanted to tout voice quality), as it both improves call quality over EVRC as well as an average lower bitrate. This phone is fully a 4GV compliant device, so why are we using old voice codecs that use more spectral bandwidth and provide lower quality?

3 No, it's NOT BS. Froyo is MUCH faster across the board. It boasts at LEAST a 450% increase in floating-point operations. It has a JIT compiler built into the kernel. It supports WiMAX natively instead of having a stop-gap solution for 2.1. It uses a different process scheduler. And you mentioned Flash draining battery and killing performance? Well DUH. Really? You cite a major speed killer as Flash? Are you trying to troll? Come on now. That's like saying the sky is blue. But you can guarantee that battery life stock vs stock will almost definitely be a drastic improvement.

Also, as of today Skype is available world-wide on ALL android phones. I'm gonna test this out ASAP.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung always does this I just see they want to be in control. Samsung sucks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

mutiny32 wrote:

I'm sorry, but I have to take issue with all of your replies to my points.

1. I say don't believe Samsung because they literally have reneged on Android updates for certain devices citing "technical limitations." That was their first dabble into Android. Someone put 2.2 on the device and it ran flawlessly as opposed to Samsung's word. You can guarantee that Samsung learned the hard way to not BS customers in the Android world because someone will humiliate them very badly. Just put CyanogenMod on the phone when it is available anyway. Power users aren't going to stick with the sub-par interface Samsung put on there anyway. C'mon, a pink and purple Social Media widget? Even the press shots show that widget on the Epic having the correct color scheme; not the T-Mob one. Of course, that could be some sort of nod by Sprint to T-Mobile; their paths seem to be on an inevitable crash-course; especially with rumors about T-Mob partnering with Clearwire on an LTE venture.

2. Samsung HAD to fix that firmware issue. They were opening themselves & Sprint to litigation over services not rendered and false advertising. But from looking at the settings menu, someone is being lazy about 3G network optimizations; the phone still has the VOCODER set as EVRC where there is no excuse to not have it shipping with EVRC-B (or even EVRC-WB if the chipset could perform it and they wanted to tout voice quality), as it both improves call quality over EVRC as well as an average lower bitrate. This phone is fully a 4GV compliant device, so why are we using old voice codecs that use more spectral bandwidth and provide lower quality?

3 No, it's NOT BS. Froyo is MUCH faster across the board. It boasts at LEAST a 450% increase in floating-point operations. It has a JIT compiler built into the kernel. It supports WiMAX natively instead of having a stop-gap solution for 2.1. It uses a different process scheduler. And you mentioned Flash draining battery and killing performance? Well DUH. Really? You cite a major speed killer as Flash? Are you trying to troll? Come on now. That's like saying the sky is blue. But you can guarantee that battery life stock vs stock will almost definitely be a drastic improvement.

Also, as of today Skype is available world-wide on ALL android phones. I'm gonna test this out ASAP.

1. Like the G1 with 2.2 Google said the same thing...  So...

2. So what?  People are sue happy.  Dumb part...  a lot of people were in their 30 days and could have returned their device.  Regardless of a "promise" or not.  If people didn't believe they are working on something they had more than enough opportunity to return the device.

3.  Yes it is BS.  Of course it's much faster across the board, but the fact you said it takes the battery usage way down is false.  As I said go look around and you will see people complaining left and right about it.  I HAVE had the Nexus One, and there is NO difference between the two as far as battery usage.  Only difference is when I use flash.  You should visit the othe boards if you don't take my word for it.  You can assume I am a troll or not I don't care.  People automatically label someone a troll especially when someone doesn't agree with your stance.  It's usually their stance or nothing at all.  As I said before read up on other boards.

A heads up there is NO Galaxy S support for the Skype.  I'd tried different ways when it came and it doesn't work.

Message was edited by: Tidbits808

Highlighted
Journeyman

mutiny32 wrote:

2. Sprint has more issues than just Froyo with this phone. I highly suspect that the upload cap issue was the CDMA baseband chipset/firmware not being able to measure/report below -86 dBm strength and as such, the phone would perpetually stick itself into EVDO Rev.0 mode. That would explain the cell standby battery drain and the 150kbps upload limit. This needs to be adressed as even the update still sticks itself into Rev.0 until reset on occasion.

What are you talking about?

Before (and after) the most recent update my phone would report -65 and -76 dBm.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well the Samsung Mesmerize is heading to U.S. Celluar on Oct 27 with Android 2.2 on it. It's a galaxy s phone, hopefully that means soon

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does anyone know if this update will fix the three way calling feature? I have a problem with my phone that whenever I call someone, and add a call, a couple of things happen.

1. I cannot release the line of the second person while on a three way call without hanging both up. On my Hero and Touch Pro, this was never a problem.

2. The phone never drops a second line, whether its a three way call or not.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Highlighted
Patron

so there is hope... thanks, i have to make a decision whether to trade in for an HTC EVO before my 30 days is up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think you will all find this latest story about Android 2.2 and the Samsung Galaxy S series interesting...

http://www.wirelessandmobilenews.com/2010/10/samsung-galaxy-s-update-2-android-22-froyo-epic-4g-fasc...

...enjoy  -Russ

Highlighted
Journeyman

Great post Russ. How did you find that? I've been looking like crazy for recent news articles about the update, but the only things I've been running accross are months old. Hopefully sprint won't take long testing it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i use news.google.com and periodically search on "Samsung Galaxy S Froyo" or "Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2" and then sort stories by date.  that was the latest story.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Lol I think someone just likes to argue for the sake of argueing.  You're right 🙂 Anyway my friend actually had a N1 before his Epic.  He decided to root and disagrees completely that 2.2 isn't much better.  I think it just depends on the person and what they primarly use their phone for.  For me personally 2.2 won't be much different but to my friend for example, it was necessary.   I think people are getting fed up with hearing "soon" and want something a little more solid.  You can't really blame someone for getting fed up when they re paying for somethin that isn't meeting their expectations or even being acknowleged for being upset.  Even if they said it would be 6m til we see 2.2 at least we would have some idea of when.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat