Did you mean: 

android 2.2 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: android 2.2 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

I honestly don't know what stories are true anymore with regards to the 2.2 update.

There are stories going around the various Android websites that updates for certain phones are purposely being held back to allow for sales of a more up to date phone, and now this story about the update being held back because of costs.

I understand from a moderator post that Sprint is working on the update, but I really don't understand Sprint's decision process on letting the community know what's going on. In particular, I don't understand why Sprint feels it's better to not say anything until the update is ready. I understand that if Sprint were to announce a date for the release and then miss it, that it would not be good. On the other hand, if Sprint could announce a date (like U.S. Cellular did) and then as it gets closer to that date and things come up that prevent the update from being released at the specified time, then they could post an announcement informing the community of what is going on.

At a minimum, why can't there be a maintenance update to the fix the GPS? What prevents the Epic from having this maintenance release when Verizon released a maintenance update for their Fascinate phone to fix the GPS. I honestly was not aware of any issues with this phone until AFTER I got it. I guess that in the future, any phone model that I am considering, I'm going to have to conduct extensive research on the manufacturer reputation for TIMELY updates and any pending technical issues. This technical issue with the GPS is something that I wish I had been informed of at the time of purchase.

Highlighted
Journeyman

SOCOMON wrote:

The first explanation for the delay that I actually believe:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/01/16/are-samsung-galaxy-s-froyo-updates-being-held-back-because-o...

I honestly believe this is a rumor, and or opinion trying to pass a facts.

This guy signs an NDA, but leaks out information from who?  Which carrier, or Samsung?  If it is someone that works for Samsung he would NOT know the deals from other manufacturers.  It's it's T-Mobile or whatever carrier then how does he know what other carrier deals will be?  No one knows the deal Apple has with AT&T and no one knows the deal what Verizon has with Apple either.  So he doesn't want to do it on a bigger venue?  He already could lose his job for breaking his NDA, and he trusts a website over a larger venue with more money to protect his name for being found.  If a carrier didn't like the agreement before them and could get better deals then why carry the Galaxy S phones?  Samsung would be hard pressed before that and carriers would eventually get a better deal.  Same goes for people as I said before.  If you are not willing to wait for the update(This was when everyone had 15 days left and people may have never bought the device) to return it or not buy it.  Buy a device that has 2.2 already.  It'll save you a lot of headaches.

Sorry just some things don't add up to me.

As for Android being open source.  Android is not 100% open source.  The kernel(GPLv2) is more open source than the GUI(ASL) itself.  Also if someone writes a kernel from scratch and makes their own source code it will no longer be GPLv2 and you can license it anyway you want(OSX, and hackintosh is a PRIME example), and since the GUI is ASL and if you make Android work with your own source code you DON'T have to release the code(OSX, and hackintosh is a PRIME example). If Google wanted Android to be 100% open source then Android would have been at least GPLv2 on both levels, or even relicensed as GPLv3.  Honestly if Android was that way it wouldn't do so well.  Before Google bought out Android INC it was GPLv2 and well did you ever hear about Android INC before Google bought them, or even know Google didn't write the original source?

Cyanogen and his team mentioned the above sometime during the release of 2.1 and no one listened, and of course he received a C&D, and spent a lot of time coming to an agreement with Google.  Cyanogen and his team came with their own group called AAA which is honestly better than OHA could ever be.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am not sure what to believe either. But, the explanation from this story at least seems consistent with some of what has transpired where Samsung says the update was ready for the carrier some time ago and Sprint has been pretty much silent about it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

SOCOMON wrote:

I am not sure what to believe either. But, the explanation from this story at least seems consistent with some of what has transpired where Samsung says the update was ready for the carrier some time ago and Sprint has been pretty much silent about it.

If this is true then it's the carriers fault for all this.  They agreed to pay, and they publicly said Galaxy S line will be upgraded.  That means they agreed to the price, and now are trying to short change the agreement.

If it isn't true then carriers are holding out to sell other devices coming up, Samsung is trying to fix the bugs in the kernel, and possibly do more testing moving us out of RFS to EXT, or Carriers want to make sure there's less bugs to make sure there are less complaints for the problems with the updates.  All camps are silent, but so are other manufacturers do the same thing so personally I don't care too much as long as my phone works for me for at 2 years.  I always buy for what I need for 2 years, and not what I can get now, and wonder what I could have within 2 years.

Highlighted
Journeyman

10,000,000 Galaxy S phones sold someone has already made more than enough money to cover updates. Now it should be about having 10,000,000 happy customers return business rather than 10,000,000 lied to and pissed off customers who buy from someone else next time around. Just sayin.

Highlighted
Journeyman

danasmith2816 wrote:

10,000,000 Galaxy S phones sold someone has already made more than enough money to cover updates. Now it should be about having 10,000,000 happy customers return business rather than 10,000,000 lied to and ****** off customers who buy from someone else next time around. Just sayin.

Just because you don't have it now doesn't mean they lied.  For whom to say?  Carriers or Samsung.  An agreement is an agreement.  You expect carriers to hold up to theirs right?  So it's ok for them to break agreements as long as they don't break yours?  Sounds like a double standard to me.  I expect that if anyone makes an agreement they better uphold it regardless of to whom it is made to.

Highlighted
Journeyman

calibrating your phone with the screen facing the floor/table will fix the auto rotation problem and improve the speed at which it does rotate when you want it to...

not sure why this works but it does.

Highlighted
Journeyman

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375940,00.asp

Samsung Galaxy S Froyo Coming in March?

By: Sascha Segan

• From PC Magazine

Samsung still sadly hasn't responded to our plea for more clarity on when the U.S. versions of the Galaxy S smartphones are getting upgraded to Android 2.2, but a Facebook posting from US Cellular hints that the floodgates may finally open in March.

On US Cellular's wall, the carrier says "The Apex and Mesmerize will be ready for upgrades around March." The Mesmerize is US Cellular's Galaxy S phone, essentially the same hardware as Verizon's Samsung Fascinate.

Facebook poster Josh Clark adds, "Samsung has been running into nothing but problems with 2.2 on their galaxy s phones. They tested it on their Canada Galaxy s phones and it bricked them." While the Facebook wall shows no biographical details for Clark, there is a Josh Clark listed on LinkedIn who is a US Cellular technician in the Milwaukee area.

After consumer grumblings started to simmer over into rage, various theories around why Samsung isn't updating its flagship U.S. phones have been bubbling through the Internet over the past few days. The most recent anonymous, unsupported conjecture says that Samsung and the carriers are having a fight over update fees, but we have no idea whether or not that's true.

None of the major carriers are giving clear answers on when their Galaxy S phones will be updated to Android 2.2. Meanwhile, the international version of the phone is already running version 2.2.1.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nate, did you try Tony's suggested link and did you get your GPS working again in Froyo?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Blah Blah blah.

. . . maybe march . . . maybe May . . . maybe never.

If this is proving that difficult for them, it is time to find a new line of work.

Highlighted
Wizard

Please continue discussions about Android 2.2 here:  http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/252630#252630

If you have a specific topic other than the Android 2.2 upgrade, please search the community for an existing thread or start a new one if one doesn't exist.  Thanks!!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat