cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android 2.2 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: android 2.2 update

I have been patient with regards to the Froyo 2.2 update, going along with the Galaxy S Support Group's Tweets at http://twitter.com/#!/GalaxySSupport stating that the Galaxy S phones, including the Epic, would receive it's 2.2 update by the end of the year.  In the last couple of days however I have seen Tweets from them to customers stating that they "should" receive the 2.2 upgrade by the end of the year.  Now, by adding the word "should" to the Tweets, could lead someone to believe that we could be into next year when we see the Froyo upgrade.  Or, would we skip Froyo now and move right to Gingerbread.  I believe we should get some kind of answer as purchasers of Samsung's flagship phones, and one of only two currently offered on Sprint with 4G.  I am a very patient person... to a point.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with you on Samsung's slow update.  They did roll out the 2.2 on the GSM versions of the Galaxy S a few weeks ago in Asia and Europe.  I too would be willing to forget 2.2 and just wait for 2.3.  However, knowing Samsung you will get Gingerbread when Honeycomb will roll out for other phones.  It bothers me that Samsung will roll out the Nexus S and the Galaxy S 2 phones with Gingerbread in another month or two from now.  In the mean time they leave their millions of current customers hanging.  How can Samsung ignore the millions of Galaxy S owners?  They sell 5 million Galaxy S phones in 3 months and then forget about them?  Do they know the concept of repeat customers and what makes customer have brand loyalty?  The only thing that maintains my sanity is the fact that the Epic's specs should be advance enough to upgrade to at least the Gingerbread and Honeycomb even if its super slow on the updates.  I just left the HTC Hero where in less than one years time it goes from $199 to 1cents at Amazon and HTC says hey you suckers 2.1 is the final Android version for that phone.  I rather have slow upgrades than none at all.

On another note, I did manage to score a FREE AIRAVE (second generation model after waiting 3 weeks) in the meantime.  No $99 fee, No $5 monthly fee, and No $19 fee activation charge.  I was getting two bars at home (no 4G) and couldn't make calls in certain rooms.  At work I have no issues and i get 4G up to 8meg/sec download and 1.5 upload.  Now I get FULL BARS everywhere at my place thanks to the Airave. 

To get your free Airave and save the $5 for this info sold on Ebay by silly sellers (I'm not kidding people really sell this info).

1) Just call customer service and say you don't get a good signal inside your home and calls keep droppig or have to go outside to use the phone.

2) Tell them you already updated your profile, and PRL and it still does nothing and you are fustrated and thinking about going to another company.

3) Ask them if there is anything they can do for you to help the signal and that you heard about the Airave and if it can work for you.

4) When they transfer you to the Airave dept, and they say you have to buy the unit for $99+$5 a month, tell them why you would have to pay for something to use the airtime that you are already paying for and that it doesn't sound fair.

5) They should waive ALL charges as long as you are polite.  If they don't speak to a supervisor regarding the fees then ask for one.

Be POLITE and you too should have a free Airave like me.  Also, they never mentioned activation fees for the Airave but just call in when you see it on your bill and they will wave it.  This new unit has no antenna unlike the first generation unit.  You have to call the Airave dept when you get the unit to give them your MAC ID number so they can activate it.  Also, they said it isn't secure and its opened to any Sprint capable phone, but when I logged in my Sprint online account, you can enter phone numbers of cell phones you want your device to allow usage or the default "allow all" mode.

Imo Sprint customer service has been THE BEST I ever experienced with and I had Tmobile, Verizon, ATT, and Cingular.  Its also the cheapest with the most bang for your buck.  So far I get 20% off a month plus a $5 monthly service credit and now a free Airave with free monthly service LOL.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well folks you're not going to like this story:

http://androidandme.com/2010/11/phones/some-samsung-galaxy-s-phones-will-not-see-android-2-2-till-20...

Some Samsung Galaxy S phones will not see Android 2.2 till 2011

Taylor Wimberly on Nov 18 at 3:48 pm

That was the question I asked back in July when Samsung announced the Galaxy S series of phones in New York and told us that providing the Android 2.2 update was a priority. At first we expected Samsung would deliver the update in September, but here we are in mid-November and still nothing.

A lot of us are excited about the pending release of Android 2.3, but the reality is that only 36% of us are lucky enough to run Android 2.2 while the majority are still on the older Android 2.1. Over three million of those stuck on Android 2.1 are customers in the U.S. who purchased the Galaxy S.

We still don’t have any official release dates for the software update on U.S. carriers, but Samsung Mobile Canada just told their customers via Facebook that some models like the Captivate and Vibrant would see Android 2.2 in mid-December and others with the Fascinate would see it in early 2011.

I’m sure that Samsung Mobile US is fully aware many people are eagerly waiting for the software update (per all the angry comments on their Facebook page), but they still have been mysteriously quiet about providing any kind of timeline for the roll-out.

Some have speculated that Samsung might skip Android 2.2 altogether and go straight to Android 2.3 on the Galaxy S, but I have seen no evidence to support this. It might go a long way in upgrading their reputation when it comes to software updates, but I’m having a hard time believing that will actually happen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/11/20/samsung-galaxy-s-android-2-2-update-not-coming-until-next-year-f...

The Samsung Galaxy S has been a successful phone for Samsung as they’ve gone from being an also-ran in the Android market to major player. But – most of their phones are still running Android 2.1, and you might be waiting a while for Android 2.2 According to a Facebook update from Samsung Canada – the Samsung Captivate and Vibrant will see an update to Android 2.2 this year, while the Fascinate will not get the Android 2.2 update until next year.

The Captivate and Vibrant are the models offered by T-Mobile and AT&T, while the Fascinate is currently being offered by Verizon. No word on the Epic 4G (probably because that’s a Sprint exclusive and Samsung Canada doesn’t know/care about that). Remember that the Galaxy S was announced just days after Android 2.2 was announced by Google. At the time, commentators on this blog criticized me for criticizing Samsung for shipping a new phone with an outdated version of the Android OS. At the time, I decided the commentators were right and it was okay to cut Samsung a break – since the update had just been announced days before.

The Galaxy S has to be one of the most popular Android phones on the market in the US, with some 3 million units sold in the country. We all know how touchy Android fans are when they don’t get their latest Android update on-time, so it looks like Samsung is risking public opinion by being slow to update this stuff. AndroidandMe reports that some have suggested that Samsung could go to Android 2.3, skipping Android 2.2, but AndroidandMe editor and Android journalist extraordinaire Taylor Wimberly says that he hasn’t heard anything like that.

It’s no secret that Samsung wants to be a major player in Android devices. But, if they don’t update their devices quickly, the Android community can turn against them, no matter how well their phones/tablets are made (see, Sony Ericsson and the critically acclaimed Xperia X10 which had Android 1.6 for way too long).

Highlighted
Journeyman

RE: Gorilla Glass

My EPIC 4G Fell On Top Of  My kitchen Table (Wood) fell From a 2 feet Distance  , The Gorilla glass Screen Cracked right Away ! & BADLY! , GORILLA GLASS SUCKS!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: RE: Gorilla Glass

that is strange, i dropped mine plenty of times on pavement and never had an issue.  it must just be  how it hit... hope u got insurance.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well if the rumor is true, we'll probably see a new thread in the discussions regarding Gingerbread 2.3.  It is now rumored to be released on December 6th.  We'll be receiving Froyo about the time we'll see devices with Gingerbread on them.

http://androinica.com/2010/11/23/rumor-android-2-3-gingerbread-to-be-announced-on-december-6th-all-s...

Highlighted
Journeyman

See this is why i didn't buy the epic.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well gee thanks for that helpful bit of info Gemini!  Perhaps you could add: "Nyaa nyaa nya nya nyaa?"  At least then it would be kind of entertaining!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not trying to rub it in because I wanted the epic but I remember the moment and its problems so I chose the evo. I even waited for it. They tried to sell me an epic but I just seen it coming. Not laughing about it at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I bought the epic because I don't care for 2.2.  I had the Nexus One before the Epic, and 2.2 was no big deal like people make it out to be.  Of course this is personal opinion and everyone has a different reason to have it or not.  2.2 is coming regardless how long it takes.  I am sorry, but I'd rather have companies try and do it right vs.  Doing it quickly and things happening.  Like the MyTouch G4 update, and the G2 update recently.  The first Evo update.  The Droid X update, and we can go on and on about it.  Sometimes it seems liked it rushed.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat