cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

audio output issues, potential SAFETY hazard

Journeyman

audio output issues, potential SAFETY hazard

having several issues with the headphone jack. first issue is that i cannot use standard non microphone headphones in a phone call.  second issue is that while the headhone jack has is plugged into an aux stereo i cannot talk on te phone unless i unplug the jack. i bought a bluetooth headset to solve the issue but it appears that the jack being plugged in disables all other outputs including bluetooth. not a good thing, this is a safety issue as it could interfere with handsfree operation in a vehicle.

Message was edited by: edamon

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: headphone jack issues

is this an issue with my phone or does everyone have this? will it be fixed with software update?:

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is another big problem I have with this phone.  It's an issue for all these phones.  Not sure if it's the entire Galaxy line, but definitely a problem with Epic phones.  & it drives me NUTS.

Journeyman

Not just you.  I just upgraded from a Hero over the weekend and overall I love this phone, despite it still seeming to have GPS issues after I installed all of the available updates and like you I also discovered that when something's plugged into the headphone jack that the external phone mic is muted.  When I'm driving I like to use Pandora and when I need it, Google Navigation by plugging my phone into the aux jack on my car stereo.  One of the nice things about the Hero was that I could do this and when I would get a call, I could take it no problem. I could leave the phone plugged into the stereo, take the call, then resume Pandora/Google Nav when the call was complete.  I can't do this with the Epic, I am forced to unplug the phone from the stereo to be able to use it.  It would seem that this is a simple software fix that I hope they address either in their Froyo release or a subsequent maintenance release in the not too distant future.

Journeyman

apparently this is all fixed in the di18 update. people can hear me when the headphone jack is connected, and I can switch to bluetooth with no issues as well.

Journeyman

edamon wrote:

apparently this is all fixed in the di18 update. people can hear me when the headphone jack is connected, and I can switch to bluetooth with no issues as well.

That's great news.  I just got the new update last night and haven't tried to see if it's fixed but I'll take your word for it.  I have no complaints about this phone now.  Hopefully it stays that way

Journeyman

This  is not fixed - when audio jack is connected the sound does not come through bluetooth headset and use the headset mic - it use the car audio and phone mic which cause echo issue for the caller.

Sprint please fix.

Journeyman

Yeah I noticed this the other day though I don't use bluetooth so I can't confirm that.  I was in my car listening to Pandora and noticed that not only was the sound coming through my car stereo speakers via the aux jack via the headphone out on the Epic, but also sound was coming out of the phones external speaker.  No amount of unplugging and plugging the audio cable from the phone would fix it.  I had to reboot the phone.  I don't know how often this will occur but it should definitely be fixed. 

Does anyone know if there's a bug submission forum for these issues?  Any sort of official channel we can use to get this info to Samsung?

Journeyman

My Epic also just started playing Pandora music from the headphones and the speaker at the same time.  A reboot fixed it, hopefully it won't happen again.  I had the phone for three weeks, and this is the first time it happened.

Journeyman

Thanks for the tip! I rebooted and it fixed my problem as well!

Journeyman

My issue: Whie listening to audio via my headphones the sound is also coming out of the speakers.

For me the rebooting will work, but then the problems recurs.  If you asked me to replicate the problem I can't.  Very random.  I know there is a hidden audio menu within the android but when I get to it I have no idea how to modify the settings.  I also called Sprint Customer Service and they recommended that I bring it into a repair center.  I'm not 100% sure this is a hardware issue, but when I have chance I'll bring it to see if it solves the problem.

As for the issue posted in this blog where I can't communicate via the car's built-in bluetooth while the headphone jack is plugged in, that is happening to me as well.  I did notice that when my wife was driving my car it DID NOT happen to her, however she did not configure the bluetooth in my car to work with her phone.  Only issue I had when we were talking was that there was a really bad echo until she unplugged the headphone jack.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat