cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

back button works on it's own

Journeyman

back button works on it's own

i have two samsung epic phones.  both have the same malfunction.  the back button activates on its own.  It happens when browsing the net, texting, and when on the market.  I took both phones to the sprint store and the tech all but called me a liar and offered no help.   I both phones have had a hard reset and the problem still occurs even with no apps installed.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

6 REPLIES 6
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: back button works on it's own

I'd look closely at how you hold the phone when you are using it. The biggest complaint we've seen with the back button is that it's not sensitive enough - you really have to press and hold on it to get it to accept the touch.

If you have more details about the problem, feel free to post, but I've never heard of this issue before.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Here is a link to another forum, that is addressing this issue.  The link has a Youtube of the Epic back button working on it's own:   

http://www.samsungepicforum.com/samsung-epic4-how-to/back-button-'pressing'-on-its-own/

The "soft" back button will work on it's own without even touching the phone.  It has nothing to do with the way the phone is being held.  I have tried doing a factory reset and a hard reset.  The phones do it with or without apps installed.  Took both phones to the Sprint store, in Portage, Michigan.  The technician was arrogant and would not listen when I told him the problem could be looked up and observed via youtube.  Of course, the phones apparently were not malfunctioning during the three hours they were "testing" them.  The reception is also poor on the Epics.  They experience more dropped calls than the LG phones we have.  I like the features of the Epic but the problems are frustrating as is dealing with Sprint service.

Journeyman

Funny, that sprint does not know about this problem......

I just got my phone 3 days ago and have been having the problem since I walked out of the store.  Went on google and search the issue.  It has been present since October.  Prior to this the button was having the oppositre problem.

Mine all I have to do is trying searching on the internet, market, apps, ect.

I am curious about what Sprints solution is.  Many have commented to switch to the EVO.....

Now the phone is also going to a blank screen while you are sending messages or email......

This also can be found as a problem if you google.

Any thoughts from Sprint on this issue.....

Journeyman

i am experiencing the same issue. it seems like the back button pushes itself whenever i enter an area of poor reception... very annoying and hard to prove in the store. and same thing, my fingers are nowhere near the bck button when it occurs.  sprint needs to acknowledge this problem. is this something that can be fixed with a patchm im afraid if i exchange the phone the next will have the same issue ..or worse issues from all the other complaints ive read about this epic online. other than this back button i love the phone.

Journeyman

I am the person who posted the youtube video.  I am still having this problem after 3 months and two Epics.  I can't believe I hit the lottery and found two of the few Epics in a row that had this problem, but nevertheless I am still dealing with this issue on a daily basis.  It is so aggravating to be using the keypad to enter a login on a web site, and then suddenly get backed out all the way to the home page.  And of course, whenever I bring it into the sprint store, they can't duplicate the problem, hence the video I posted.

Well, still no acknowledgement from Sprint or Samsung that the problem exists, yet every few weeks or so I do a google search and find a few more people with the same problem.  3 months in.  2 phones later.  Same problem.  No solution.  What to do?

Journeyman

The back button activating on its own is a very real issue. I am not plagued by it, but is very evident and annoying. I am wondering if the sensitivity is due to residue on the screen, but the back button seems to be the only soft key to be affected.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat