cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camcorder sound not what I had expected.. useless

Highlighted
Journeyman

camcorder sound not what I had expected.. useless

.. former BB Curve owner, now Day 10 new epic 4g in hand high expectations that I just purchased a smartphone that'll allow me to make HD videos with stunning digital sound... as it turns out with sadly PQ (poor quality) sound ! There are no recording level adjustments possible and no audio level metering which may have helped. Forget about amplified concerts I tried, Video set to highest quality looked awesome, audio nothing but distortion from 20th row center stage or 100 rows back. 2nd attempt, I video recorded a vocalist playing grand piano with minimal amplification for voice, trust me the concert sound was well balanced not too loud or soft and I was 20 feet away from performer, an easy task for the cheapest digital recorders out there ! Camcorder fails again !! Horrible choppy/ stuttery sound. If I had hit the share to youtube button without first reviewing, I'd have uploaded a disservice to the artist. Admittedly I am a professional audio engineer and I could have captured just the audio with a portable field recorder, but it's very tempting to use smart phones for what they imply they can do. Has anybody had success recording and posting videos of live shows that are of any enjoyable quality ? Oh and BTW, this Epic 4g is also stuck in DG17 and WILL NOT UPDATE so far, so when do I start the dreaded process of trying to get this flagship phone to the most recent update, and wondering if the video audio will improve as a result. If the technical specs were published in regards to the audio as they routinely are with stereo components  and recording studio gear then I would have known what to expect. Anyone know of a solution or having similar experiences ?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: camcorder sound not what I had expected.. useless

Well, without saying "Lower your expectations", I'd have to say you're looking for a lot from a device like this. The Epic 4G does things that are simply amazing for a phone to do, but I'm not sure anyone thought of using it to record a live concert. Look at the microphone input on the device & tell me what kind of audio you think it will record. I've taken it to karaoke & recorded people singing & the sound quality is fairly decent, but I'm not expecting production quality from a phone. I'm sure that there is some way to get a better mic plugged into this, if you feel that need.

To get the updates rolling, just take your 4G to your local Sprint store & have them bring you to to DI-07 & you'll get the DI-18 over the air shortly after that. We are all anxiously awaiting the 2.2 Froyo release for the 4G & I'd say we'll get it soon, but I'm not at all dissatisfied with this phone. For me the biggest problem I had getting clear audio when I record, is just keeping my fingers out of the way of the microphone on the device. I hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well maybe I was too hard and shouldn't have said "useless"... I transferred 3 vids from the phone to my Apple Computer and studied them in Quicktime player. Like most rock concert videos shot on a smartphone, the video wins and the audio is subpar to the video quality, ok I can deal with that.. The piano videos were in two parts, the scene from 20 feet away I hear audible signs of audio compression artifacts, the second piano video was shot closer to the source say 5-10 feet away and sounded amazing. My conclusion is that the audio codec is trying it's best to render the most acceptable audio based on the program source, so being closer to the piano gave the microphone and the software a better all around dynamic signal to digitize resulting in a recording with little or no artifacts....  THis phone is truly amazing to me so far and I'm happy to have purchased it and look forward to future updates !

Highlighted
Journeyman

I totally agree!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat