cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

epic 2.2 release date... photos from sprint computers (?)

Highlighted
Journeyman

epic 2.2 release date... photos from sprint computers (?)

found on web several days ago

http://cdn.nexus404.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads2/2010/12/sprint-epic-4g-froyo-1226-480.jpg

found THIS tonight....

http://i1.phonearena.com/images/articles/35895-image/nofroyo-epic-4g.jpg

can a sprint rep, please, for ONCE... give us some real answers? like WHEN are we going to get it? If its been pushed back, tell us why. Give us maybe a few reasons why (many) other phones, both sprint and other carriers... are already shipping with 2.2, and the Epic STILL doesn't have even an official sign of when or if we will get an update for the phone which was pushed as basically the new flagship phone for Sprint based Android devices... and then has turned out to be nothing special when placed side by side with the Droid 2, Droid X, or Nexus? Maybe try helping the customer out... giving them the truth instead of a web of B.S. before you drive previously dedicated Sprint customers to other networks that will give us the devices we want, and the answers we demand.

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: epic 2.2 release date... photos from sprint computers?

Just giving a heads up and no offense or anything...

Those have been proven to be falsified long before Christmas.  Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true or from a realiable source.  The people who printed that material new people would be clicking on those links, and well they make money off those hits.  Samsung already said hopefully by the end of the year.  Any more information than that is "rumor" and should always be treated like one instead of fact like most people make it out to be.

You may have found that link just recently, but that has been out almost the same day the first picture was posted.  Of course the first one got more hits so it traveled a lot faster to the top of google search than the second link.

As for the Epic shipping with 2.2 that's 100% false.  If it was true then there would be Epics floating around with 2.2 AND chances are the open source community would have it already instead of a beta build.

Those devices you posted are based off Development devices and chances are those will ALWAYS be updated first as developers need to latest first to keep up.  I believe this is why the Nexus S was made by Samsung in order to make updates come quicker as the newer OS's would be developed on these devices instead of basically starting from scratch.

Customers will always come and go, and personally speaking leaving because of an update is foolish.  People should always buy a device for what it has now and for the term of your contract.  Something better may always come out, but at least you know your device will last you at least 2 years, and by the time your contract is over you will probably have something better than what you were complaining about being out 2-6 months after you buy your device.

Don't take me the wrong way, but I have been following all companies and personally I see no difference between 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3.  To the naked eye most people will not notice 1/4 of a second delay for most applications.  I went from a Cliq to Nexus One, and now to an Epic.  Sure I wouldn't mind 2.2 on my Epic, but personally if they are having trouble with the update I wouldn't want "slop" over something that works right.

Journeyman

I'd just like some ANSWERS.. like... when are we getting it, and why hasn't it come out yet. I never said the epic shipped with 2.2.... i said there are MANY other devices which ARE shipping with it, and have been shipping with it for some time now (Such as the droid 2, droid x, LG Vortex, Droid Incredible, and Droid Pro... just to name a few of the new hot Verizon devices, several of which are BOGO, cheaper than Epic, and have similar/better specs) . I'm tired of the lies. I'm tired of the misdirection with no actual answers when asked a question. If theres problems with 2.2 holding it up, great, TELL US. KEEP CUSTOMERS INFORMED. Thats probably 90% of why I'm so pissed. first they cut the Moment, supposedly their amazing phone last year, from getting 2.2 EVER (confirmed by sprint), and then, after marketing the Epic as their new super-phone, evo-on-crack device... it fizzles with 2.1... lacking flash/multitasking.. chrome to phone.... not super big changes, but when a company touts a new device as being oh-so amazing.. and then cant even keep customers up to date on why it's not being supported or updated like promised (repeatedly). Give us a forum we can go check on the status of why we dont have an update yet... maybe a tentative release date.... instead of a place like this where we can go vent and get mad about rumors we hear. All they gotta do is clear up the rumors, finish our update, and actually, for once, maybe satisfy the customers?

Journeyman

In the other thread you made those comments, and if you were reading my post entirely I made points based on what you are ranting about.  Read them again.  Devices based on developer devices have been updated.  They have a headstart everytime due to Google developing the OS on those devices.  The Nexus S is a developers device and well updates should be coming quicker for Samsung.  Anything prior to that is just as much what Motorola, HTC and so-forth company has done.  I am not subjecting myself to thing because I buy a specific device it only happens to me.  I look at the complete life in Android when I look at it.

uhm...  Multitasking seriously?  Android has been able to multitask since it's inception...  My cliq can multitask, and I do multitask with my Epic.

Flash?  gimmick...  Blame Adobe for making claim it would work on devices 2.0+ and then near release they stated it will only work on 2.2+ while hackers have already shown it works for 2.0+.  Sure it may be a little "buggy", but the proof of concept is there Adobe got lazy.

In one of my earlier posts.  A tentative date can be a bad thing.  Motorola is the smoking gun.  They tried that and if you been looking on their device boards you will see the same outcome as what is going on here without a tentative date.

Seriously move on to Verizon.  Make sure you visit their boards before making up your mind.

Word of advice.  Make sure you get the coverage you need first, pick the best device they have, and make sure it fits your needs for at least 2 years.  Less headaches happen that way.

If you think they lied they lied, but based on all the information I have seen 99% of the lies are not from Samsung nor Sprint as if they don't give information how can they lie?  Rumor sites spread rumors, people treat them like facts, and Samsung/Sprint gets blame for it.  Until January 1, 2011 passes then they may have lied a little, but a person who doesn't want a bricked Epic would consider it within reason if/when they release the update it doesn't bricked their device.

It's not all cut and dry like people believe it to be.  There still isn't a AOSP build for the Epic that's 100% fully functional without major bugs.  So to me it's not all that easy as people think.

Journeyman

Re: epic 2.2 release date... photos from sprint computers (?)

The Epic Fail:  Instead of the flagship it looks more like the sinking of the Bismark!!!!!  I for one am tired of getting jerked around.  Sprint/Samsung needs to put their big boy pants on and communicate with its end users.  If you do not, we as customer will communicate to your potential new customers for you!  We buy a premium phone, pay the premium data plan, for little or no updates on your phones?  I for one will tweet, facebook, myspace, craigslist, blog, word of mouth, etc.. to do whatever I have to do to get you guys to make a official anoucement!

Journeyman

seriously?  This is the dumbest thread I've ever read.  Sprint employees (especially retail) aren't told anything about when updates are coming out, because of this reason.  If they were told a specific date and then it doesn't come out, its a lie.  Retail employees basically read whats on the internet and SHOULD be telling people that they've read it was "soon" or "before the year end."  Because that was what was rumored to be by samsung.  It's new years day and still no update.  If it's really that important to you to get the very small update (mainly flash is the only reason people want it) then google epic 2.2 update leak and install it on your phone.  My Epic has 2.2 and it's very glitchy so I'm very happy that samsung/sprint is taking the time to make sure it WORKS before its actually released officially.  I agree with the guy who actually gave an educated response, if you're leaving a company because of an update, you're an idiot (my words).

Wizard

Please continue any comments regarding the Android 2.2 upgrade on this thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/252630#252630

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat