cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

epic update exchange email issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

i got the 2.2 update last week and since getting the update when i reply or forward an e-mail from my exchange account only the email will look like this:

"email text" <br><br>signature<br><br>"text of forwarded/replied e-mail"

how do i make the <br> go away and actually get the line break that should be there.  i went to sprint yesterday and they said it was a known issue and they were working on it, but when i google it, no one else seems to have the problem.  this makes the phone worthless for work emails which is the reason i got the phone.  it didn't do this when i had 2.1.  any help would be appreciated.

39 REPLIES 39
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem.  A customer just called me and was complaining about my email reply being all garbled with <br>'s all over the place in my reply.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts - especially since the upgrade went flawless in everything else. I tried a chat session - no luck. I called the help desk - no luck. I went to a full-service Sprint store - no luck. I know the HTC Evo works fine. Seems to be unique to the Epic 4g

Highlighted
Journeyman

i've been to one store that said exchange is having issues and there would be an update, called sprint and they said see a store, then went to a second store where they gave me an absolute run around and told them i want a new phone.  that went nowhere.  i told them i bought the phone for work email, it worked fine when i got it, they updated and now it doesn't work.  i asked for them to take it back to 2.1, and they said they couldn't do that.  i said i want a new phone and they said they don't replace phones for software issues.  i told them they updated the phone, it doesn't work, replace it.  at that point they start telling me that the new phone might have the same issues, or worse issues if i update it.  i told them i won't update.  complete hassel for nothing.  they couldn't even stand behind their own product.  i've been a sprint customer for 12 years and this is the most disappointed i've been with them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sounds like typical Sprint support.  First we wait months and months for the release date of a reliable update and then again, then OTA an update that doesn't work correctly (again).  Sounds like they are going to take their sweet old time in getting an update patch released so in the meantime as all of us business users will continue to irritate customers with a bunch of garbled emails.

Seriously Sprint..get your act together...get a patch out before you lose a bunch of corporate customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did some experimenting tonight..

First, removed the account and reconfigured.  Encountered the following

1- Sent and replied to email.  Ended up with

"email text" <br><br>signature<br><br>"text of forwarded/replied e-mail"

2- Sent and replied to email, hid the orignal text

Email sent fine, no garbled junk in the email.

Then took the plunge and hard reset the device.  What a pain.. anyway.  Same results as above.

Next I downloaded several email clients from the market place.  All of them send mail correctly without the garbled junk. Moxio

Obviously this is the Epic 4g's email client issue and not on the exchange end.  Something is not written correctly in the programming. 

Highlighted

I don't believe this problem existed in in the first release of 2.2 (EB13).

Highlighted
Journeyman

i didn't have the eb13 release, but in 2.1 i had no issues replying to emails, however emails i forwarded had issues.  i just upgraded from the pre to this.  i was excited that the email was so much better than the pre, which looked comical when i forwarded or replied to an email.  here i am now with mickey mouse looking email responses.

Highlighted
Wizard

Have you tried removing the account and setting it up again?  I'm not having this problem, so I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've removed the account, reset the account and hard reset the phone and set things back up again... no luck.. a few people I know that have Epics are having the same problem.  If I hide the original text it does not do it.  It is a problem with the HTML code in the email program.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i did a hard reset on the phone which wipped the account out and had to set the account back up.  no luck.  at this point i've found how to wipe the phone and go back to 2.1 and am debating it.  it frustrates me the most because my fiance has the same phone, we got them the same day (although we had to replace hers a few days ago because of a hardware issue) and hers does not have the issue.  we even set my account up on her phone and no problems.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm also having this same issue with my work's Outlook exchange email account.  Wish there were a solution.  Emails sent through this account look like garbage with <br> in place of every line break. 

I've also wiped out the account and reset it up, but no change.

Another person at my work with the same phone is having the same issue.  It started for both of us only after the 2.2 OTA update.

I'm going to try switching to K-9 mail client.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat