cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

epic update exchange email issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

My wife's Epic is having the same problem since the OTA 2.2 update.  I hope this gets fixed soon.  She has received a number of requests from coworkers to stop replying to emails from her phone.  Hopefully switching to K-9 will be an acceptable work around for the time being.

Highlighted
Wizard

If you're still having the problem, try removing the account, clearing the data and cache (steps below), reboot your phone, and then set up the account again.

Clear data and cache

Settings > Applications > Manage AppsAll

Scroll down to and click on Email

Select Clear data 

Select Clear cache 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I tried this yesterday (clearing data and cache, re-setting up the exchange account), and it did not help. 

When I originate (compose) an email from my exchange account, there is nothing wrong.  Line breaks show up correctly, with no special characters.  It is only in replying to or forwarding any message from this account that the <br> characters are inserted for every line break.

Tried fooling around with K-9, but not yet with the exchange account.  Still trying to figure out what all the various shadings and widgets mean in K-9 before switching my work account to it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also tried this just now - and I'm stilling the garbage. So frustrating...

Highlighted
Wizard

The only other thing I've seen that may correct this is a battery pull.  Otherwise, I'm out of ideas and will send the info you've posted to the device team. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

removed the account, cleared the data and cache, power down the phone and reset up the account, and no luck.  pulled the battery and no luck.

downloaded k9 email.  lots of great options, but the app was garbage.  only downloaded a portion of my emails, and had the time the email was recieved all out of whack.  i've now downloaded improved email and i am happy.  not a lot of options, but it gets the job done.  looks a lot like the email app on the phone.  only complaint is that i wish i could zoom the emails with it.  otherwise i am happy.  i don't need text options and what not when i am responding on my phone.  it would be nice, but not necessary.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having a lot of problems with the native email application too, which I have synced to my entourage (mac's version of exchange basically) account for work. I'm not having the html issue, but my issues are as follows:

1) when I check my work email account and open a received message, half the time it will open some random past unrelated email from my personal gmail account! The subject of the email will be correct, but the body will be completly unrelated content. So, I haven't been able to read half my work emails.

2) when I check my work account, 9 times out of 10, the application will crash and freeze up my phone when I try to go back to the home screen. I try quitting the application with task manager, somtimes that works, but others, I have to pull out the battery and eboot my phone.

Can anyone recommend an alternative application from the marketplace where I can sync my personal gmail and work entourage accounts?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same issue - <br> codes being added to replies since Sprint updated my Epic phone to Froyo.  Any resolution to date?  Doesn't happen with original emails.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem, my replies filled with html <br> garbage in all of my business (law firm) emails.  Called Sanyo, they seemed to know nothing about it, invited me to send my phone to their nearest service center, Plano, Texas (I am in Chicago), for a minimum of six business days.  Not going to happen.  Fortunately, I'm in my 30 day cancellation period with Sprint, no way am I going to pay the $65 restocking charge.  Will warn family friends, and colleagues against Sprint/Sanyo.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK GUYS!

Great solution!

1) This is particularly a problem with exchange email as gmail comes with the epic as a separate program

2) Delete your prior email accounts from the native email program. This includes any exchange email

3) Install improved email from the market place. This will allow you to set up your accounts but also exchange account. This app is nearly identical to the native mail program but has more features including color coding and flagging. It is more usable. If you use an exchange account it will also have the sync setting for your calendar and contacts

4) Your done! This replys and forwards without the <br>s. Of note, when I did not delete my accounts in the prior program, improved email would repetetively delete my account settings so you need that step

Hope this is helpful!

E

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same problem and so are 2 other people I know using the Epic.  My wife who has a HTC EVO Shift and uses the same exchange server as me, does not have the problems.  I also did not have this problem with my previous epic (sprint had to replace it) when I had the EB13 update.  It is just with my new Epic and the EC05 update.  It really sucks because I like the native email program.  Sprint or Samsung or whoever is responsible (since you cannot get a standard answer) should fix this immediately!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat