I did some more testing. It seems that the issue is only on reply emails. It also is an issue even if the sender sends the email in TEXT format not HTML format. It should be simple for Sprint to reproduce. I searched google and there are multiple forums that people are having the same issue since updating to 2.2 on the Epic. This only seems to be happening on the Epic. Why is Sprint and Samsung having soooooo many issues with this phone and the update.
dshoem01: To reproduce, make sure that you have a Samsung Epic with the following:
Firmware Version: 2.2.1
Baseband version: S:D700.0.5S.EC05
Kernel version: 220.127.116.11
Build number: FROYO.EC05
Hardware version: D700.0.5
Email version: 2.2.1
Then you will need to create an Exchange account. Send a message to yourself, then reply to that message and make sure that you include the email in the reply.
Same problem as described on Samspung Epic 4G. The whole reason I got this phone was so I could do work email. I installed "Improved Email" and no problems. Did not delete prior account, etc. or do any resets/cache clears. I have restarted and removed battery for other issues, which had no effect on this issue.
Really Samsung/Sprint, your track record on this phone could not be worse. Hardware great. Software support terrible. Emailing on Exchange is the reason I bought this phone. I have discouraged several colleagues from purchasing this phone. I highly regret buying it.
Two things to try that WILL fix your issue.
1. Format your SD card (after backing it up of course). Remove and readd your exchange account.
2. Factory Reset yoru device by going under menu/settings/privacy I believe. Readd your exchange account.
I am very confident in stating that one of these 2 steps will RESOLVE your exchange issues and every other issue that is NOT faulty hardware related.
I've done everything you've said and it still didn't work. I'm fine using improved mail, although I wish it allowed you to zoom like the native email program.
Kojak: Please read my comment carefully. I stated in my comment that I am not having a hardware problem, but a faulty software issue. I refuse to do a factory reset for a software issue that Sprint/Samsung created with poorly written code. I am sad to say that regarding ability to interface with Exchange, I would've been much better off buying an iPhone and switching providers.
Out of curiousity - what version of Exchange are you using?
I'm finding that my corporate Exchange (2003) has the <br> encoding errors on replys and forwards. I'm also connecting to Exchange 2010 at home and no problems with that.
We're having the same <br> issue on the two Epics only when emailing through our Exchange 2003 server (emails through any other personal accounts, i.e. comcast, gmail, etc. are fine). It's frustrating to say the least and we're hoping (but certainly not expecting) for a fix anytime soon. Unfortunately, I'm not impressed with any of the third party apps but understand that's our only viable solution at this point. Epic fail imo and fingers crossed for a speedy patch!
*UPDATE* I spoke with tech support wanting to register my complaint. Sprint is aware of the formatting issue and has passed the ball to Samsung. No timeframe for implementing a fix was given so now we must patiently wait...
This has been going on too long. I've tried everything posted here except for the factory reset, which I have been assured that it will do nothing to solve the problem. Spoken to Sprints main phone #, local Sprint store, and Samsung numerous times for months and months. Sprint main # and Samsung are both worthless and are not resolving the issue. Samsung claims theyre next update will be in August! We have 3 Epics: 2 of them did the update and have the problem, 1 of them did not do the update and works perfectly. This is so unprofessional and we are getting too many complaints from clients/recipients. We are using Exchange 2003. If Samsung or Sprint would at least recommend an App to use until they figure this out, we would feel better, but they are absolutely no help whatsoever. It is disgraceful. We have about 20 phones on the account are ready to give the pushy Verizon salesman his chance to switch us over - which also claims theyre Push To Talk will work - Nextel hardly ever does and these I1 phones have the worst Nextel reception. Nice job Sprint.
Agreed... way too long. I've resorted to using Touchdown for Exchange and it works like a charm. 20$ at Android store for full key... 30 day trial will give you an idea if you like it. A few minor glitches with it (i.e. it syncs Exchange contacts to phone but for some reason when I type in a contact through dialer, it never finds mobile phone numbers... very annoying)... but overall i use it exclusively. Amazon app store has sale/deal on it now and it's only 8$ for the unlock license key.
Still I shouldn't have to spend $1 for an app that Samsung and any other serious Smartphone manufacturer should have working properly. That's what one of the things to consider before buying Samsung... SLOOOOOOWWWWWWW to update and patch.
Samsung/Sprint, JUST FIX IT!!!!!!