cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

froyo 2.2 now on epic?

Highlighted
Journeyman

froyo 2.2 now on epic?

As of yesterday 09/08/10 my sprint store rep.  told me that the epic now has froyo 2.2.  It was too late to go to the store but this guy has been on point with all of my issues throughout  the years and was especially sensitive to my issue with the moment only having 2.1 and not supporting direct headset voice commands.  So, I think I'll stop by the store and check it out for myself. If this is true, sprint might want to update their website information.

120 REPLIES 120
Highlighted
Journeyman

Not bad tidbits.... Could'nt have said it better myself. I happen to like my epic as it stands and am looking forward to a nice update. As long as samsung creates a solid update....i can wait.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Point well made, and please don't feed in to Tidbits. we are trying to get him to stop posting here. He has been making that point since he got here, but funny thing, he doesn't even own an Epic. Never has. If he's going to put money on anything, I think it should be an Epic, being that he loves talking to us so much.

Techfunk, I love the phone, that's why I didn't return it, but as is, just won't do. We are faaaaarrrrr behind the Evo, and we paid $150 more than they did for our phones. Well, when I say we, I mean everyone here except Tidbits.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I totally understand, I should have known better. You can have your own opinions, but you cannot change those of others.

As far as my Epic, I absolutely love the phone. I think 2.1 is great, and am very excited to see 2.2 with Flash capabilities. I'm sure I will be satisfied as I'm already satisfied. I hope they do get the GPS situation worked out because when it is working correctly for me, it will even tell me what side of the road I'm on! Something my Magellan cannot do.

I disagree that the phone is far behind Evo since the processor is pretty much equivalent and the screen res far exceeds the Evo or anything else on the market. The only thing that really needs to happen is that the kernel to accept Froyo needs released, then the let the comparisons begin! I found a YouTube vid that showed a rooted Epic with Andromeda clocking around 65 fps which is equivalent to a stock Evo, so there's proof that it's capable, Epic owners just have to hang in there for the ultimate greatness to be unleashed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The EVO was drab and plain looking compared to the EPIC, so I chose Epic.  Except for the additional $10.00 monthly charge for 4G, I'm now a satisfied Epic customer.  The big thing for me with Froyo will be the ability to use "Google Voice Actions".   Composing/Sending Text Messages and E-mails will be a huge step forward for me in the area of safety, because I do a lot of driving.   Latest info from Samsung at the end of October is that Froyo 2.2 will be released to the United States carriers on November 11th.  Hopefully it won't take Sprint long to forward this major update to our Epics!

-Bert

Highlighted
Journeyman

Look and open your eyes for a moment...  put the "Your are a troll" card down...

These numbers are just estimates.

Let's say 100,000 Epics are sold.  Now Samsung makes full money regardless of subsidization per device.  That's $50,000,000 in their pocket before R&D, and other taxes they will pay.  Now if people returned their devices that $50,000,000 will start to deminished, and they will be losing money. Now let's say 90,000 users returned their Epic's.  Now Samsung only made $500,000 dollars.  Now if R&D and such costed more than $500,000 then they will take a loss on the device.  Now that affects their profits.  This is WHY I stated return your device, and this will force companies to start working on better more reliable devices for the future as they know people will not stand for subpar devices.

So complaining while letting them keep your money does nothing as they'll know you'd do it again in the future.  May not be their devices, but someone else's devices eventually you'll come back.  HTC is currently doing it right now with T-Mobile, and Verizon you should see their complaints, and I tell people the same thing.  Talk with your money and get it back.  Force manufacturers to do more.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am fine as long as the fix the "Trifecta":

1) Seamless sync for outlook contact (I am still baffled how this was overlooked)

2) But the most baffing: Bluetooth Voice command functionality for blutooth headsets (true "handsfree" operation)

3) GPS glitches

They can pull those off, I am happy.  The High Def in this thing is KILLER!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The "Updates" section of http://www.SamsungEpicForum.com contains a list of each enhancement that Froyo 2.2 will bring to our Epics this month.

-BT

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tidbits808 wrote:

... So complaining while letting them keep your money does nothing as they'll know you'd do it again in the future.  May not be their devices, but someone else's devices eventually you'll come back.  HTC is currently doing it right now with T-Mobile, and Verizon you should see their complaints, and I tell people the same thing.  Talk with your money and get it back.  Force manufacturers to do more.

Returning a defective phone can certainly be a valid choice.   In fact, I returned my Vibrant to T-Mobile and cancelled my contract over the GPS issue there.  I chose to keep the Epic because its GPS bugs -- while they are unquestionably bugs -- are not as serious.  I was fully prepared to return the Epic and cancel my contract over another issue that was a deal-breaker -- the 3G upload problems that plagued the Epic at first.  But Sprint and Samsung fixed that problem in time, so I did not cancel.

Where your "argument" becomes preposterous  -- and, quite frankly, very suspicious -- is that you keep insisting that commenters here must stop "complaining" or "crying" over the remaining bugs.  That seems to be your primary purpose -- to attack those who publicize the bugs, and blow smoke.  You never engage the core issue of the bugs themselves.  You only attack those who do describe the bugs, making distracting, ad hominem attacks on them for raising the substantive issues.

Your claim that by owning a product we forfeit our right to criticize it is simply absurd on its face.  Nothing in our contract with Sprint includes such a gag clause.  We might choose to keep a phone with some defects, because on balance it seems better than the alternatives the vendors offer, and press for its remaining flaws to be fixed.  Consumers and observers might criticize defects in a product whether they keep it, return it, or never buy it all.

In fact, most of us in this thread by this time have passed our 30-day trial periods, so there is little danger that Sprint or Samsung will be harmed by our taking your purported advice to return the phones.  It is too late, so your advice rings hollow.  But when the substantive bugs are made public here -- which you consistently fight -- that does represent at real threat by educating future customers while they still have time to make an informed choice.  And although you claim to favor consumers making such a choice, if it weren't for us "complainers" no one would even know about the GPS bugs, because Sprint and Samsung deny that there is a known GPS issue!  You clearly are serving their interests by attacking those who report the truth in such venues as this.

p.s.  For evidence that the vendor, which controls this forum, considers this publicity more of a threat than your hollow advice, one need only consider this fact:  When you attack the "complainers," the mods (who are on the Sprint payroll) protect your posts.  When commenters call out your attacks for what they are, their posts might be deleted.  Qui bono.

Journeyman

I cant seem to find it on there.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got one point to make. If you were set on having 2.2 by now you should of gotten one that had it (like the Evo). Everyone know how Samsung is with their releases, so it should be too surprising that we don't have 2.2 yet. The Epic was chosen for a reason and 2.2 shouldn't have been one. It will come and you all will be happy with it. Everyone could have changed phones or orginally picked up another phone. I love my Epic and yes I want 2.2 but I can wait and with how fast the phone is I'm looking forward to 2.2 on it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

boomerbubba wrote:

Tidbits808 wrote:

... So complaining while letting them keep your money does nothing as they'll know you'd do it again in the future.  May not be their devices, but someone else's devices eventually you'll come back.  HTC is currently doing it right now with T-Mobile, and Verizon you should see their complaints, and I tell people the same thing.  Talk with your money and get it back.  Force manufacturers to do more.

Returning a defective phone can certainly be a valid choice.   In fact, I returned my Vibrant to T-Mobile and cancelled my contract over the GPS issue there.  I chose to keep the Epic because its GPS bugs -- while they are unquestionably bugs -- are not as serious.  I was fully prepared to return the Epic and cancel my contract over another issue that was a deal-breaker -- the 3G upload problems that plagued the Epic at first.  But Sprint and Samsung fixed that problem in time, so I did not cancel.

Where your "argument" becomes preposterous  -- and, quite frankly, very suspicious -- is that you keep insisting that commenters here must stop "complaining" or "crying" over the remaining bugs.  That seems to be your primary purpose -- to attack those who publicize the bugs, and blow smoke.  You never engage the core issue of the bugs themselves.  You only attack those who do describe the bugs, making distracting, ad hominem attacks on them for raising the substantive issues.

Your claim that by owning a product we forfeit our right to criticize it is simply absurd on its face.  Nothing in our contract with Sprint includes such a gag clause.  We might choose to keep a phone with some defects, because on balance it seems better than the alternatives the vendors offer, and press for its remaining flaws to be fixed.  Consumers and observers might criticize defects in a product whether they keep it, return it, or never buy it all.

In fact, most of us in this thread by this time have passed our 30-day trial periods, so there is little danger that Sprint or Samsung will be harmed by our taking your purported advice to return the phones.  It is too late, so your advice rings hollow.  But when the substantive bugs are made public here -- which you consistently fight -- that does represent at real threat by educating future customers while they still have time to make an informed choice.  And although you claim to favor consumers making such a choice, if it weren't for us "complainers" no one would even know about the GPS bugs, because Sprint and Samsung deny that there is a known GPS issue!  You clearly are serving their interests by attacking those who report the truth in such venues as this.

p.s.  For evidence that the vendor, which controls this forum, considers this publicity more of a threat than your hollow advice, one need only consider this fact:  When you attack the "complainers," the mods (who are on the Sprint payroll) protect your posts.  When commenters call out your attacks for what they are, their posts might be deleted.  Qui bono.

I'll let you take it any way you want.  Look how things are moving and look at all the complaints.  It isn't working like people think it is working.  The ball will move quicker if they are losing money than if they keep the money.  Money always talks more than complaints.  Just look at all the devices since the G1, and read all the customer boards.  You won't see much difference multiple threads of complaints, crying, or whatever you want to call it, and saying how 1 device is better than the other.

I have been saying the same thing when EVERYONE who bought a Epic has had at least 15 days so it doesn't fly with me if it goes past that point.  This is why I stick with my stance.  YOU had a chance and would done more than sit and wait past the 30 days I also stated people shouldn't wait if they are not willing to wait for updates however long it takes.  I will continue to say it as it may stick on people in the future purchase of their devices and possibly that's when us consumers start taking the power back rather than complain when they have to chance to return devices and force companies to do more.

My very first post in this forum was met with rudeness, and lectures and I never targeted 1 person nor said the problem didn't exist. I said I never noticed as I used wifi/4G, and I need to test it out...  So how is that a troll?  Call me what you want, but boycotting will always outdo complaining any day of a lifetime.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just don't understand your logic here. What you do you mean, "Everyone knows (or know as you put it) how samsung is with their releases?" What is that? This is my first samsung phone. If we wanted Froyo we should have gotten another phone like the Evo? You have to understand that everyone here paid a higher price for the Epic than they would have if they had gotten the Evo. So, it goes without saying, that if any of us had wanted the Evo, we would have gotten the Evo. We know we could have changed phones, and we know we could have selected a different phone, but we didn't. We stuck with the Epic, and now, we are "encouraging" Samsung/Sprint to make the phone better. I don't understand why people keep coming on here talking about taking the phone back. We are past that. It's here, now, that matters, and the whole, "could have taken the phone back/picked a different phone" argument is null and void. It's stupid. That isn't an option anymore, so what advice do you have now? Or, are your solutions just that limited/simple?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat