Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

froyo 2.2 now on epic?

Journeyman

froyo 2.2 now on epic?

As of yesterday 09/08/10 my sprint store rep.  told me that the epic now has froyo 2.2.  It was too late to go to the store but this guy has been on point with all of my issues throughout  the years and was especially sensitive to my issue with the moment only having 2.1 and not supporting direct headset voice commands.  So, I think I'll stop by the store and check it out for myself. If this is true, sprint might want to update their website information.

120 REPLIES 120
Journeyman

The Android 2.2 update is up on Google's servers, I've installed it, and it runs ok.

Wizard

The official Sprint release of the upgrade is not yet available.  As soon as it is, I will post a new thread in the Samsung Epic forum and update the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release blog.  Subscribe to the blog to receive a notification when it's available.

Journeyman

Although I was taken to task by Dr. Gibberish for quoting Sprint Tech Support, two weeks ago,

My question: "How do I upgrade my Sprint Epic 4G phone to Froyo, Android 2.2.?"

Sprint's answer: "You are unable to upgrade because of the type of phone that you have."

I want to thank Dr. Gibberish and the other developers for making Froyo available for the Sprint Epic 4G (through the Google link).

Last night's upgrade (to 2.2) seemed somewhat slow (panic that 3062 contacts might have disappeared!) but all appears to running fine on the phone that Sprint said could not be upgraded.  There are numerous improvements in appearance and presentation and additional capabilities added (Tethering, for example, even if the TOS don't allow it).

Journeyman

I'm sorry if I "took you to task" I didnt mean it personally, just wanted to make sure others knew nt to beleive what Sprint tech support people say Also, I'm not a developer and can take no credit at all for the leak. Just a humble user like yourself who has had another Android phone for a year before this one. I still have not updated to Froyo. I'm out of town and cant risk screwing it up, but everyone says it is working great...

Journeyman

I recently flashed my phone to get this Android 2.2.1 Update and I am having no problems whatsoever.  It works like a charm.  Although I am a bit concerned about Android 2.3 that is rolling out today.  Google's HTC Nexus 1 owners are receiving the update today and Samsungs Nexus S comes out on T-Mobile on December 16.  If it's anything like we've seen in the past Google has a strangle hold on the "Nexus" branded product and that phone obviously will be coming out with 2.3.  My concern is that all Galaxy S phones will not receive this update.  Sorry if I'm losing you guys (basic Android users not familiar with all the 2.2-2.3 talk)  I'm just venting and this looks like a good place to vent.

Journeyman

Any new word on when 2.2 might be released?  I'm sure they will not even talk about 2.3.

Journeyman

Last (totally unsubstantiated) rumor I heard over at XDA Developers was Dec 26th. Take that with a grain of salt though. I have seen a lot of rumored release dates come and go, going all the way back to "late September". However, worldwide some Galaxy S phones have had Froyo rollout (though there have also been some problems with these) and Samsung has already released the Froyo source code for these phones, so I cant beleive it will be that much longer. On the other hand, I never would have beleived it would take THIS long!

FYI, I have a freind running the stock version of Froyo that was leaked about a month ago ("DK28" -check over on XDA Developers for details) and he reports no problems at all. If you are really eager (and willing to void your warranty) you can always try to flash that.

Journeyman

Thanks for the info. I will have to wait for that release since I won't have time before then to think about doing it.

Journeyman

HAVE YOU GOT A DATE YET OF WHEN THE 2.2 UPDATE WILL BE ON THE EPIC *TAking a long time, still don't have 4g either in arizona.

Wizard

Resurrecting an old thread and yelling. If you looked around a bit before posting, you'd have seen the answer.  The news is in this forum and plenty of other places around the web -- the Froyo rollout for the Epic started today, and will take 4 days.  All users should see the OTA upgrade pushed out by Friday, February 25.

Journeyman

What a little yip yip you are.  Just answer the guy's question and shut up.  I, for one, am glad he asked it, because at least it elicted the required information, no matter how snottily.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat