cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

froyo 2.2 now on epic?

Highlighted
Journeyman

froyo 2.2 now on epic?

As of yesterday 09/08/10 my sprint store rep.  told me that the epic now has froyo 2.2.  It was too late to go to the store but this guy has been on point with all of my issues throughout  the years and was especially sensitive to my issue with the moment only having 2.1 and not supporting direct headset voice commands.  So, I think I'll stop by the store and check it out for myself. If this is true, sprint might want to update their website information.

120 REPLIES 120
Highlighted
Journeyman

poteen00 wrote:

Titbits, you ARE an apologist, and your posts excusing/explaining Samusung/Sprint's inaction re various problems, in this case the GPS, are not helpful.  Boomer bubba is right on target, and his posts on the matter are constructive, as in being very informative.

I used the GPS on my Instinct extensively, as it had features that even the latest Garmin lacked, and naturally expected the same results from the Epic, supposedly a more advanced, and certainly more expensive, phone.  I am NOT going to return it and don't consider the fact that the GPS doesn't work to be my fault!  That is a patentlly ridiculous statement.  Please give it up and let's move on, trying to get our phones working the way they were advertised to, and that we have a right to expect them to.

Message was edited by: poteen00

Whatever keep your device and keep complaining about it.  Wait past your 30 day window.  I personally have said if it was that much of a bother to me to call people something I would have returned my device and get my money back.  Keep filling the pockets of the things you are complaining about seems asanine to me.  Why pay for something you are not happy with?

So explain to me how am I an apologist when I have stated multiple times to return the device and get your money back?  There's more you will gain than crying about the device and the company, and if 100,000 were sold and 99,000 were returned what do you think will happen?  SERIOUSLY THINK!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tidbits808 wrote:

Whatever keep your device and keep complaining about it.  Wait past your 30 day window.  I personally have said if it was that much of a bother to me to call people something I would have returned my device and get my money back.  Keep filling the pockets of the things you are complaining about seems asanine to me.  Why pay for something you are not happy with?

So explain to me how am I an apologist when I have stated multiple times to return the device and get your money back?  There's more you will gain than crying about the device and the company, and if 100,000 were sold and 99,000 were returned what do you think will happen?  SERIOUSLY THINK!

See "concern troll" as defined in Wikipedia:

A concern troll is a false flag pseudonym created by a user whose actual point of view is opposed to the one that the user claims to hold. The concern troll posts in web forums devoted to its declared point of view and attempts to sway the group's actions or opinions while claiming to share their goals, but with professed "concerns". The goal is to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt within the group.

Hypothetically, for example, a concern troll might profess to be a consumer advocate and take what seems to be a "tough" pro-consumer stance (returning a defective product.)  But the real motivation is to attack genuine consumer advocates for their critical public speech about the defective product.  This would be hugely in the interest of the corporation selling the defective product, because the cost of refunds to a small number of activist critics would be tiny compared to the loss of business due to the critics' public complaints.  Hence the trolls make a fallacious but emotional argument that the product should be returned, the critics must "stop whining" or accept blame themselves for buying a defective product, and cease their public criticism.  These are apologist trolls.

If a troll succeeds in discouraging such critical speech, he accomplishes his objective.  If not, the next best thing is to flood the online venue with comments attacking the critics, changing the subject, and generally shouting noise.

Such trolling in online forums is particularly easy, due to anonymity.

Some trolls ("sock puppets") are actually assigned agents of powerful interests such as corporations, working covertly to undermine negative publicity about those interests.  Manipulating online discussion in forums, web sites, blogs, social networking sites, etc.  is a large and growing industry, a modern outgrowth of the traditional "public relations" firm.  Others might actually sympathize with those interests and act voluntarily without direct sponsorship.  In another time, Lenin called such proxy players "useful idiots."  A modern variant in cellphone circles is the "fanboy troll."  And some trolls are trolls just because they enjoy picking fights.

The motivation is really irrelevant, because the behavior is identical.

The other thing that makes the trolls irrelevant in the case at hand is that their argument is fallacious on its face:  In fact, I checked our Sprint contract.  There is no clause that says if customers keep a defective device for more than 30 days, they forfeit their standing to criticize it for defects and cannot do so here.  Similarly, there is nothing in the rules of this forum requiring anyone to get permission from Sprint/Samsung apologist trolls before posting criticism of Sprint/Samsung products.  We have the absolute right to critical speech whether or not we choose to return the products.  (EIsewhere I might criticize certain car models that are unsafe due to defects, but I have never owned one of those models.)

The other logical fallacy committed by the apologist trolls in this case is that their argument (attempting shift blame for GPS defects to the customer) claims the bugs are allegedly known to customers in advance.  But neither Sprint nor Samsung even acknowledges the GPS bugs publicly!  The primary way the bugs become generally known to current or future customers is by the very criticism by activists in user forums that the trolls seek to silence.

Once exposed as such, trolls are best ignored.  Without exception, trolls deny that they are trolls.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Now lets look at that definition of "troll"

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] In addition to the offending poster, the noun troll can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in "that was an excellent troll you posted". While the term troll and its associated action trolling are primarily associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels highly subjective, with trolling being used to describe intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. For example, recent media accounts have used the term troll to describe "a person who defaces internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."

Source

Now look at what's highlighted in red. Now look at what is bolded in red.  Now people crying on forums about this and that are trying to get an emotional response from the people who feel the same way they do.

I have given an out for people which will do more than crying about it and expecting people to flail their arms, and name call someone or even label someone.  I posted my opinion and my views and I get labeled based on my views and my opinons.

I have yet to call any of you guys names, and yet you have called me an apologist, and a troll...  Seriously those responses are getting old.

Now as for the contract not stating that...  Look you had a chance to get rid of it.  You had options... It honestly seems pointless to me to hold onto the device especially if you are unwilling to wait for a fix, and to complain about waiting for a fix.  Returning your device does MORE than what you guys are doing now.  You could always pick up the device after the fix happens and reports have expressed it has been fixed.  You gain more than waiting past your 30 days.  It seems you guys are the trolls just looking for an excuse to complain about it.  I could understand if the problem surfaced after the 30 days.

Message was edited by: Tidbits808

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tidbits808 wrote:

Now as for the contract not stating that...  Look you had a chance to get rid of it.  You had options... It honestly seems pointless to me to hold onto the device especially if you are unwilling to wait for a fix, and to complain about waiting for a fix.  Returning your device does MORE than what you guys are doing now.  You could always pick up the device after the fix happens and reports have expressed it has been fixed.  You gain more than waiting past your 30 days.  It seems you guys are the trolls just looking for an excuse to complain about it.  I could understand if the problem surfaced after the 30 days.

My options are not limited to those you define for me.  I chose to keep the phone and continue to press for the remaining GPS bugs to be fixed.  That is my right as a customer.  It really doesn't matter if you "understand" or not, because I don't need your approval.  Nor do I need your permission to publicize the bugs and press for a fix.  So I'll just keep doing that.

Have a nice day!

Highlighted
Journeyman

okay so this update stuff happens every time it seems like; and not just on sprint forums but all the other carries for example: t-mobile mytouch people were complaining as well about 2.2 and those guys run vanilla android so it shouldn't really take them that long to get updated; plus they were only on 1.6 and now they just got notice of watered down 2.2!! (not to mention some phones dont get anymore updates htc hero) The only reason i mentioned that is so you guys here at sprint dont think this type of discussion only happens here.

Now to get back on subject about epic getting 2.2 you guys do realize that you are always going to be behind on updates right? Google is getting ready to release 2.3  gingerbread, then 3.0 honeycomb,+++++!! so once you get 2.2 probably by the end of the year you will be behind all over again. Now if google would slow down on its update cycle like they said they would do all the phone manufactures could try to keep up, and the phones that have custom UI's over android take even longer to configure so that only makes it worse. If i were you guys i would just enjoy the phone with what it has no use in complaining its not going to make it update sooner. android is a fragmented mess and its just going to get worse after every version.

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/04-06-2010-15-30-45.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

Where are these people coming from? No use complaining? What is it in people that make them so affraid of people protesting or complaining about things they have every right to complain about? What makes you think it won't get/isn't getting anything accomplished? Are you even an Epic owner? Or are you just here like Tidbits? Out of boredom.

We understand that newer versions of the OS are coming out. I don't know if you've noticed, but when you're talking about technology, newer versions are always coming out. I think, as an Epic owner, what our complaint is, is that the phone was released with an outdated OS. Now, for someone who paid $350 for the phone, this is unacceptable. Now, I understand this and that about how it had it when I bought it, and I had 30 days or what not, but that doesn't matter. I wanted an Evo-like phone with a keyboard. Well, I didn't have many options, so I took the closest one, and I'm sticking to it. However, as a customer of Samsung, because I actually bought the phone, and am not just here to participate in some random discussion, I expect Samsung to be open to hearing any and all of my questioins, comments, concerns, or complaints. Just like anyone expects when they are customers of a place.

Why does our complaining bother you so much? You, in no way, shape, form, or fashion, have anything to do with it, nor can you help matters. You're just here. Thank you for the pie chart. It was very nice. But I would like for you to find me a chart of everything that has been accomplished in this country, or the world, through protest/complaining, and then come back and tell us how complaining isn't going to help anything, and isn't going to speed up anything, and whatever other discouraging thing you may have to say.

Highlighted
Journeyman

tdgreer1203 wrote:

Where are these people coming from? No use complaining? What is it in people that make them so affraid of people protesting or complaining about things they have every right to complain about? What makes you think it won't get/isn't getting anything accomplished? Are you even an Epic owner? Or are you just here like Tidbits? Out of boredom.

We understand that newer versions of the OS are coming out. I don't know if you've noticed, but when you're talking about technology, newer versions are always coming out. I think, as an Epic owner, what our complaint is, is that the phone was released with an outdated OS. Now, for someone who paid $350 for the phone, this is unacceptable. Now, I understand this and that about how it had it when I bought it, and I had 30 days or what not, but that doesn't matter. I wanted an Evo-like phone with a keyboard. Well, I didn't have many options, so I took the closest one, and I'm sticking to it. However, as a customer of Samsung, because I actually bought the phone, and am not just here to participate in some random discussion, I expect Samsung to be open to hearing any and all of my questioins, comments, concerns, or complaints. Just like anyone expects when they are customers of a place.

Why does our complaining bother you so much? You, in no way, shape, form, or fashion, have anything to do with it, nor can you help matters. You're just here. Thank you for the pie chart. It was very nice. But I would like for you to find me a chart of everything that has been accomplished in this country, or the world, through protest/complaining, and then come back and tell us how complaining isn't going to help anything, and isn't going to speed up anything, and whatever other discouraging thing you may have to say.

HAHAH you serious man? "where do these people come from?" and then you go off on a tangent?!?! I have had an account with sprint for a long time also with tmobile, verizon, att, cricket. I have had android phones when the first one came out with the g1 with tmobile, before that i have had windows smart phones  and palm pre, iphone, all those phones! im not here trolling, i know what im talking about!!

You are right thought how stupid of me your complaining is going to make samsung go much faster and bring the update a lot sooner my mistake! No im not an epic owner because i dont like the UI they put over android, and i didn want to buy it because i knew it had 2.1 and it would be a while before they got 2.2 out; and it would always be behind because 2.3 would come out even before i got 2.2!?!?  thats what happened when i had the htc hero with sprint im never going to buy a phone with a custom android UI and one that has such small internal memory like the epic 4g.

This forum is for sprint i doubt anyone from samsung reads this stuff, and they said you would get 2.2 so they will bring it to you, you even said it your self you knew what you were buying its not like they lied to you! i was saying you should just save your selfs the grief of complaining it doesn't accomplish anything, (been their done that)! Once you get 2.2 like i said before the year end, you will prob be lucky if they will release 2.3 or anything else for that matter so after that point you are on your own all the complaining in the world isnt going to do any good, but you can if you want thats up to you!! Your complaining doesn't bother me one bit!!.  And nice job going off on a tangent about a pie chart of what has been accomplished in this country?!? gave me a good laugh!! the updates are sure to stop after 2.2 and if you lucky 2.3. Now i dont agree with that and i dont agree with how long it takes them to update ether but thats just the way it goes! you will eventually have to root the phone and give it updates your selfs if you want the newest OS.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ah, I see, so you don't have the Epic, and at the same time, you don't have anything better to do, but to find your way on an Epic thread and talk about Epic users complaing about the phone we were able to go out and buy/afford. You're bored, and I won't be giving you anything else to play with. And who knows, through our complaining we may get 2.3. Or, if not, at least the code released so someone can give us 2.3. You're right, this is a Sprint forum, but if you've been reading, it's kind of the same message everywhere. And if you think none of this is worth anything at all, why are you taking the time to post?

I'm not going to be counterproductive anymore, and I'm not getting off topic anymore. You can continue trolling (a word you used, not me). I won't entertain you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

tdgreer1203 wrote:

Ah, I see, so you don't have the Epic, and at the same time, you don't have anything better to do, but to find your way on an Epic thread and talk about Epic users complaing about the phone we were able to go out and buy/afford. You're bored, and I won't be giving you anything else to play with. And who knows, through our complaining we may get 2.3. Or, if not, at least the code released so someone can give us 2.3. You're right, this is a Sprint forum, but if you've been reading, it's kind of the same message everywhere. And if you think none of this is worth anything at all, why are you taking the time to post?

I'm not going to be counterproductive anymore, and I'm not getting off topic anymore. You can continue trolling (a word you used, not me). I won't entertain you.

you cought me i cant afford one! why are you getting all deffensive? to bad i cant say what i really want because i would get banned. ha!! This was a phone i was going to purchase like i said thats why im on these forums. its not like i just created an account to say stuff here, i have had an account here from before!!! I choose not to pop on the epic 4g because of the limited internal space and the 2.1 and how it would take forever to get 2.2, 2.3!! your a joke you have no idea what your talking about i wasnt attacking anyone so i dont see why you are getting all deffensive and trying to attack me, saying i cant afford this phoen!? i was only giving advice from my past experiences! i wasnt bored i was on this forums to see whats going on about the update and to see if its the same old story with android phones and updates and put in my 2 cents. the only one that is counterproductive is you and hopefully  once people read what i have to say they will appretiate  it.  unlike your bitterness about your 2.1 or something!! im done talking to you tdgreer1203!!

Message was edited by: akhial

Highlighted
Journeyman

rowllandg,

Try VLINGO.  It's a great little app with voice dialing, navigation and text messaging.  I like it a lot.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just wanted to say that in the USA we have a constitutional right to freedom of speech. That gives us the right to protest, or 'cry' as some of you very derogatorily put it. Well, I bought the Epic 4G on the release date. I did not know much about it, much like the majority of people purchasing this product. I had done some research, but simply did not come across any issues with GPS. I barely noticed some weird glitches with it that seemed to correct themselves within those first 30 days. Now when I use it in Chicago, most of the time it simply will put my position almost an entire block off! Unfortunately for me, I'm outside of my 30 days. All I can do at this point is 'cry' about it.

I've learned over the last decade or so not to trust or listen to those that use terms like 'cry' for simply voicing concerns that need attention. If we sit by idly, the problems won't get fixed, so please stop being so self-righteous. Another thing I've learned is that those who state that 'they have experience with this-or-that' yet their grammar, sentence structure, and spelling are so horrid that you simply cannot trust that they're telling the truth.

If you're not being diplomatic, don't expect to get diplomacy in return.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If they fixed the GPS issues right now, but delayed 2.2 release would you be happy? No

If they released 2.2 and the GPS issues remained would you be happy? No

If they release 2.2 with a GPS fix and it worked would you be happy? No, and I can give a millions reasons why, and you would know them to be true with the way the Android society thinks.  2.3 is around the corner as soon as 2.3 comes out people will be crying for that.

I am willing to put money down regardless if they fix it or not people will not be happy, and they could have avoided all of it just by returning their phone when they got the information or not purchased the device in the first place.  It WILL do more than holding on to it waiting for a fix.  You get your money back and whatever company makes nothing.  It forces them to make better products and do more testing.  At some point consumers need to take a stand and do more than complain about it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat