cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

froyo 2.2 now on epic?

Highlighted
Journeyman

froyo 2.2 now on epic?

As of yesterday 09/08/10 my sprint store rep.  told me that the epic now has froyo 2.2.  It was too late to go to the store but this guy has been on point with all of my issues throughout  the years and was especially sensitive to my issue with the moment only having 2.1 and not supporting direct headset voice commands.  So, I think I'll stop by the store and check it out for myself. If this is true, sprint might want to update their website information.

120 REPLIES 120
Highlighted
Journeyman

Tidbits808 wrote:

I'll let you take it any way you want.  Look how things are moving and look at all the complaints.  It isn't working like people think it is working.  The ball will move quicker if they are losing money than if they keep the money.  Money always talks more than complaints.  Just look at all the devices since the G1, and read all the customer boards.  You won't see much difference multiple threads of complaints, crying, or whatever you want to call it, and saying how 1 device is better than the other.

For the record, I do agree with part of what the persona known as "Tidbits808" is saying.  I think some people -- those who require a GPS that just works out of the box -- may be well advised to return their Epics within the 30-day period, or not buy the product in the first place.  It is a fact that there are GPS bugs on the Epic.  It is also a fact that Sprint and Samsung so far refuse to acknowledge the bugs, so there is a substantial risk they will never be fixed.

But users can make an informed choice.  If they like the phone otherwise, as I do, and can live with these bugs (because there are workarounds for some of them, which can be a hassle), they may decide to own the phone and press for the bugs to be fixed.  If they choose this course, the customers are absolutely within their rights.  They do not need permission from Spint, Samsung or "Tidbits808" to publicize the bugs.

And if the users knowledgeable about the bugs do keep quiet -- as "Tidbits808" claims they must -- other users won't even know about the bugs in the first place.  So they cannot make an informed choice.  That is what user forums are for -- informing and helping each other.

So don't buy the false dichotomy of returning the phone vs commenting about the bugs.  If you want, feel free to do both!

Highlighted
Journeyman

boomerbubba wrote:

Tidbits808 wrote:

I'll let you take it any way you want.  Look how things are moving and look at all the complaints.  It isn't working like people think it is working.  The ball will move quicker if they are losing money than if they keep the money.  Money always talks more than complaints.  Just look at all the devices since the G1, and read all the customer boards.  You won't see much difference multiple threads of complaints, crying, or whatever you want to call it, and saying how 1 device is better than the other.

For the record, I do agree with part of what the persona known as "Tidbits808" is saying.  I think some people -- those who require a GPS that just works out of the box -- may be well advised to return their Epics within the 30-day period, or not buy the product in the first place.  It is a fact that there are GPS bugs on the Epic.  It is also a fact that Sprint and Samsung so far refuse to acknowledge the bugs, so there is a substantial risk they will never be fixed.

But users can make an informed choice.  If they like the phone otherwise, as I do, and can live with these bugs (because there are workarounds for some of them, which can be a hassle), they may decide to own the phone and press for the bugs to be fixed.  If they choose this course, the customers are absolutely within their rights.  They do not need permission from Spint, Samsung or "Tidbits808" to publicize the bugs.

And if the users knowledgeable about the bugs do keep quiet -- as "Tidbits808" claims they must -- other users won't even know about the bugs in the first place.  So they cannot make an informed choice.  That is what user forums are for -- informing and helping each other.

So don't buy the false dichotomy of returning the phone vs commenting about the bugs.  If you want, feel free to do both!

I am going to throw my hat into this ring...Just becasue i love stirring the pot.  I think the real issue is about customer service.  I wasnt all that impressed with Samsungs outsourced reps. Sprints outsourced reps, on the other hand, at least makes an attempt at trying to answer questions regarding this. In the endgame, I have gotten more useful information from you good folks here.Thats sad to me that their sh*t isnt together over there, but maybe thats becasue this phone is fairly new, and we need to give it a little time.  THAT said, thisis the bottom line in my humble opinion.  The more complex the machine, the more problems you are going to have.  I spent  most of my adult life in customer sales and i can tell you that any company worth their salt will listen to people if they all have (similar) issues.  They want customers for life.  NOT just the quick sale. So telling people NOT to complain is really anti-productive, and how else is the company going to know if they arent informed...ALOT.  Because its the MANY voices they will hear.

When you buy the most expensive phone on the market, there are going to be higher expectations and justifiably so.  If I wanted a cut-rate phone, I would go back to my old blackberry curve.  (which had pretty good business applications, but SUCKED at all the fun things that the Droid phones had, PLUS I had mine crash twice).  i consider myself a fairly fast learner of electronic devices, but some of the issues were not known to me til after the 30 day window.  Thats ok.  BUT I would like to see some of these issues handled, and i think that if enough people use their voices over time, many if not all of these issues will be dealt with.  After all they want your repeat business!

If NOT, there is Craiglist (to sell this phone) and a "Jailbroke" I-phone.  I may lose a hundred or so, but I will get what I want because doggone it, I paid for it...right?

Nuff said!

Highlighted
Wizard

All posters on this community have the ability to report an abusive post by clicking on 'Report Abuse' at the bottom of the post.  A good majority of posts that are removed by the moderators are those that have been reported by the users.  It's the moderator's discretion whether the reported post needs to be rejected.  Attacking another poster is a sure fire way to get your post rejected.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

dshoem01 wrote:

All posters on this community have the ability to report an abusive post by clicking on 'Report Abuse' at the bottom of the post.  A good majority of posts that are removed by the moderators are those that have been reported by the users.  It's the moderator's discretion whether the reported post needs to be rejected.  Attacking another poster is a sure fire way to get your post rejected. 

I have noticed that when a certain poster in this thread has intruded into others' discussion about the substance of bugs on the Epic -- accusing them personally of "complaining" and "crying," and saying "YOU" have the responsiblity for the bugs because "YOU" kept the device, that pro-vendor commenter is coddled by the Sprint mods.  This particular commenter never addresses the substance of the technical issues, only attacks other commenters ad hominem for raising those issues in the first place.  Yet nothing happens.  When others call him out for this misbehavior -- which is, in the vernacular of the Internet properly called trolling -- it is their defensive comments that are deleted.

If I walked into a Sprint store with a Sprint-branded phone that had bugs and sought a solution, and someone there accosted me publicly and berated me for "complaining" and "crying" about my very real problems as a customer, then the store management did nothing about that verbal abuse, I would not feel comfortable doing business in that store.  That would be especially true if the Sprint management favored his behavior and cut off my attempt to rebut his intrusive attacks.  I would consider Sprint responsible whether he was openly wearing a Sprint badge or not.  The fact that his abusive intrusions favor Sprint's interests by attacking critics is doubly suspicious.

Highlighted
Journeyman

boomerbubba wrote:

Tidbits808 wrote:

I'll let you take it any way you want.  Look how things are moving and look at all the complaints.  It isn't working like people think it is working.  The ball will move quicker if they are losing money than if they keep the money.  Money always talks more than complaints.  Just look at all the devices since the G1, and read all the customer boards.  You won't see much difference multiple threads of complaints, crying, or whatever you want to call it, and saying how 1 device is better than the other.

For the record, I do agree with part of what the persona known as "Tidbits808" is saying.  I think some people -- those who require a GPS that just works out of the box -- may be well advised to return their Epics within the 30-day period, or not buy the product in the first place.  It is a fact that there are GPS bugs on the Epic.  It is also a fact that Sprint and Samsung so far refuse to acknowledge the bugs, so there is a substantial risk they will never be fixed.

But users can make an informed choice.  If they like the phone otherwise, as I do, and can live with these bugs (because there are workarounds for some of them, which can be a hassle), they may decide to own the phone and press for the bugs to be fixed.  If they choose this course, the customers are absolutely within their rights.  They do not need permission from Spint, Samsung or "Tidbits808" to publicize the bugs.

And if the users knowledgeable about the bugs do keep quiet -- as "Tidbits808" claims they must -- other users won't even know about the bugs in the first place.  So they cannot make an informed choice.  That is what user forums are for -- informing and helping each other.

So don't buy the false dichotomy of returning the phone vs commenting about the bugs.  If you want, feel free to do both!

Money talks and BS walks.  Complaining about a device doesn't speed up the process.  IF you really wanted it fixed quickly I bet a boycott would make it go quicker than complaining on a forum.  A LOSS speaks louder than words.

You still don't get the point I am saying, and I guess you never will.  You can't drop the "troll" card from in front of you.  Devices come and go, and companies will always make them, but if you want things done quickly hurt the money.  As someone mentioned above they bought a phone not knowing how Samsung is with updates.  That further supports what I am saying.  Complaining does nothing when the majority of people won't see the complaints.  Boycotting will do far better than complaining.  Returning your device getting your money back during your 30 day period and holding onto your upgrade for a device with what you want and the support you want.  Force manufacturers to do more for your money.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It sounds like many of the issues will be addressed in the new update (allegedly).  The proof will ultimately be in what shakes out in that update.  I disagree that the only way to hit them is a boycott, but I agree that a boycott would definitely cause a reaction.  And probably in a more expeditious fashion.  The problem is many of us didnt have that option available when the discoveries of some of these issues happened past the 30 day window.  Some of us have lives that extend beyond beta testing our expensive phones ya see.  Its laudable that you offer a more impactful solution, but its curious how (and this is typical for us as humans) we feel the overwhelming need to convince everyone else "that we are right".

I think there are good points all over the place.  That said, each solution may or may not fit fo all.  If the 30 day window is passed, then THAT solution is no longer viable.  Whats left?  One could be negative reviews left on the phone websites.  I read them, and i knew that I was taking a chance with this phone because they had hardly ANY feedback (due to the newness).  But I can tell you I would NOT have bought it if i would have seen enough negative reviews.  And belive it or not, complaints DO work.  i know this becasue I have been in sales my whole life, so i actually have real experience in this.  Do you?    Any company that wants to sell more knows that they have to keep their customers happy, or with access to technology, the customers will do their homework and figure out where the good products are, and stay away from the bug-laden ones.  So complaining to your phone carrier, best buy, radio shack, or whtever and telling them about issues does have an impact.  Either way, it will affect the bottom line, just at an either faster or slower way.

Now this bores me.  Lets talk about something else shall we? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

twolf1920 wrote:

It sounds like many of the issues will be addressed in the new update (allegedly).  The proof will ultimately be in what shakes out in that update.  I disagree that the only way to hit them is a boycott, but I agree that a boycott would definitely cause a reaction.  And probably in a more expeditious fashion.  The problem is many of us didnt have that option available when the discoveries of some of these issues happened past the 30 day window.  Some of us have lives that extend beyond beta testing our expensive phones ya see.  Its laudable that you offer a more impactful solution, but its curious how (and this is typical for us as humans) we feel the overwhelming need to convince everyone else "that we are right".

I think there are good points all over the place.  That said, each solution may or may not fit fo all.  If the 30 day window is passed, then THAT solution is no longer viable.  Whats left?  One could be negative reviews left on the phone websites.  I read them, and i knew that I was taking a chance with this phone because they had hardly ANY feedback (due to the newness).  But I can tell you I would NOT have bought it if i would have seen enough negative reviews.  And belive it or not, complaints DO work.  i know this becasue I have been in sales my whole life, so i actually have real experience in this.  Do you?    Any company that wants to sell more knows that they have to keep their customers happy, or with access to technology, the customers will do their homework and figure out where the good products are, and stay away from the bug-laden ones.  So complaining to your phone carrier, best buy, radio shack, or whtever and telling them about issues does have an impact.  Either way, it will affect the bottom line, just at an either faster or slower way.

Now this bores me.  Lets talk about something else shall we? 

Red:

On my first post when I was flamed, called names, and such I was under the impression that it was a WELL KNOWN issue, and that EVERYONE KNEW, and I was a troll for not knowing of the issues, and wanted to test them out myself.  IF you go by that date people had 15 days + to do what I recommended.  That would have fix the problems a whole lot sooner.

Complaining isn't working like people think it is.  Let's be serious here...  Look at all the complaints and how things are being done?  Look at all the manufacturers from A to Z.  Now look of how many devices were sold for these companies regardless of how many bad reviews.  Now if it was really working they wouldn't have sold 1/2 as much as they do now.  Sorry if you believe it's working but it's not.  Motorola is a PRIME example, and you should read up on the Cliq and every device AFTER the cliq made by Motorola.  If you don't want to give them the time to fix it, and complain and threaten all you want they will take their time.  It's already proven.  Now if you want something done a lot more quickly which you have admited yourself which I highlighted in green.  At some point consumers will have to take a stand, and let the money start talking.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I JUST came onto thi site a few days ago.  I am a pretty busy guy, so the phone really hasnt been my priority.   BTW I am not calling you a Troll.  I do, however, think you may have issues with people who disagree with you, and thats a hard sell trying to get everyone to agree with you on ANY subject.  (try religion or politics if you really want to stir the pot!) Relax!  We all got your point.  And it does have some merit.

One thing age has taught me is this: Not everyone is interested in my solution, regardless of how much/less merit it may/may not contain.  .   Another thing its taught me is there are more points of view and experience beyond just my own.  If I can be helpful here, I will.  If someone disagrees, well thats just ok too!  All I have is my (very limited) experience.

That said, I would like to thank you, and everyone else for the help they have given me siunce I joined the forum.  Its been invaluable in helping me decide to:

Wait and see what happens!

Highlighted
Journeyman

twolf1920 wrote:

I JUST came onto thi site a few days ago.  I am a pretty busy guy, so the phone really hasnt been my priority.   BTW I am not calling you a Troll.  I do, however, think you may have issues with people who disagree with you, and thats a hard sell trying to get everyone to agree with you on ANY subject.  (try religion or politics if you really want to stir the pot!) Relax!  We all got your point.  And it does have some merit.

One thing age has taught me is this: Not everyone is interested in my solution, regardless of how much/less merit it may/may not contain.  .   Another thing its taught me is there are more points of view and experience beyond just my own.  If I can be helpful here, I will.  If someone disagrees, well thats just ok too!  All I have is my (very limited) experience.

That said, I would like to thank you, and everyone else for the help they have given me siunce I joined the forum.  Its been invaluable in helping me decide to:

Wait and see what happens!

I not saying you are calling me a troll.  It's a lot of people who has called me that for voicing an option they don't want to do.  Right now the simple buy and complain about it isn't working well.  If it was manufacturers like Motorola, Samsung, HTC, or other cell manufacturers would not use the "Bring it out now and fix it later" approach they are using right now.  Sure the more complicated things are the harder it is to maintain, but things like the GPS bug, upload deal could have been avoided before the release of the device with testing and delaying the release.  HTC with their G2, and their MyTouch HD has a write bug which could have been as well.  Sure minor bugs people can deal with, but the way people complain about it often enough they have to be considered major than minor right?

Honestly I do not care if people agree with me or not.  I am showing an alternate option to what people are doing now and had ample opportunity to do it, and decided against what I recommended, and got called names before I even posted anything about my recommendation.  That's what I have issues with.  So I decided to keep pushing it to get it into people brains that one day people will start boycotting as a whole and force manufacturers to actually listen to it's customers, and remedy something quicker instead of thinking of the next 5 devices on their lineup with the exact same problems and bringing them to fruitation.  Then selling MILLIONS of them...  Just how good did all the complaining do?

Highlighted
Journeyman

So has anyone figured anything else about the 2.2 update? Or is everyone in here still arguing about stuff that I don't care about...

Highlighted
Journeyman

nealhead, the Samsung Galaxy S Support Group, which can be found at http://twitter.com/#!/galaxyssupport has been consistently communicating to all Galaxy S phone owners, including Epic owners, that we will have Froyo by the end of the year.  So, with the year winding down quickly we should see it soon.  I keep an eye on their Twitter page to see if any new update on this topic occurs, but the message remains the same.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As mentioned in previous posts, the Samsung Galaxy S Support folks for the U.S. say that the Froyo 2.2 update will be available by the end of year.  You can see their numerous replies to folks on this topic at http://twitter.com/#!/galaxyssupport.

Now, something that might cheer folks up a bit was this story posted today on Android Guys:

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/11/05/confirmed-froyo-hitting-galaxy-today/

Yes, I know it's a UK rollout and that it is happening right now, however, it provides hope, along with the Galaxy S Support feedback, that we will see Froyo sometime in the near future.

Confirmed: Froyo Hitting Galaxy S

Posted by: Scott Webster

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/11/05/confirmed-froyo-hitting-galaxy-today/uk_froyo/Samsung UK has officially started rolling Android 2.2 out to their beloved GT-I9000 Galaxy S handset.  According to their twitter account, the update has begun already and will hit everyone by the end of November.  We're very curious as to what is meant by 'everyone' as we don't imagine they are referring to us in the United States. Still, this is promising stuff for those with a Vibrant, Captivate, Epic 4G, or Fascinate.  More information on the update can be found on Samsung's support page.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat