cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is anyone else having trouble connecting the Epic to your PC?

Highlighted
Journeyman

is anyone else having trouble connecting the Epic to your PC?

The User Guide is pretty vague and doesnt reflect what actually happens when you plug the phone in.  I tried to use the Sprint Music Monitor to load songs onto the Epic but it wouldnt acknowledge that a phone was connected.

67 REPLIES 67
Wizard

Re: is anyone else having trouble connecting the Epic to your PC?

I'm not clear from your post, exactly what the problem is, but I have moved it to the Samsung Epic forum so others with the same experience can chime in.

Also, here's a post that may be helpful: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/209555#209555

Journeyman

I cannot get the phone to mount in storage mode on my Mac.

Journeyman

Samsung Kies is disabled for no good reason other than to make customers unhappy (as far as I can tell).

Other than that, just try rebooting the phone.  I had it glitch like that once and it has mounted well since.

Journeyman

I had trouble connecting to my pc laptop.  I went to samsung.com and downloaded the Epic driver and still couldn't connect.  I called Samsung tech support - he put me through a bunch of steps and we finally found that my epic only connects to one of the five USB ports on my laptop.  He did explain that once I connect via USB, I tap the epic status bar and choose the "mass storage" mode.  This finally allowed me to download my epic pictures via the popup window, but I still can't figure out how to load music.  Can anyone help with that?

Journeyman

I gave up trying to connect my Epic to the PC via a USB cable. I now un-mount the memory card and put it a card reader and load it up with music, movies, books, etc. I also use the Dropbox application for smaller files.

Journeyman

When you connected your phone to PC did the drivers install?

Usually a screen pops up on your phone giving you a few choices. Select the "USB storage" one.

Once you do your selection you can navigate to your SD card and do whatever you want with it.

Journeyman

I too recently ran into the problem where none of my PCs (XP or Windows 7) would recognize the phone when connecting to the USB port.  Since there have been many posts about ensuring that USB Debugging is disabled (my was) I tried the following and it WORKED!

1. On your phone, Enable USB debugging (Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging) is ENABLED (yes enable it!)

2. Connect the phone to your PC via the USB cable

3. Your phone at this point should not display the options for Charging, Mass Storage, Tethered Mode

4. Disconnect the USB cable

5. Now disable USB debugging using the same steps in #1 above

6. Re-connect the phone to the PC via the USB cable

I hope this helps some folks out.

Journeyman

I was having the problem of the USB connection connecting and disconnecting every few seconds. It was very frustrating.

Then I discovered that the problem didn't occur when I plugged the USB cable directly into the front of my PC. It was only happening when I had the USB cable connected to my monitor, which has 2 USB ports that function sort of like a USB hub, and which itself has a USB cable that plugs into a single USB port on the back of my PC.

Even though my previous phone -- the Samsung Moment -- was able to handle being connected to my PC indirectly through this intermediate piece of equipment, the Epic is not.

The Epic also cannot handle being connected to a PC that doesn't have the special Epic drivers, even though the Moment never needed any such thing.

Congratulations, Samsung and Sprint. You're moving backwards. I expect Sprint's next physical-keyboard phone to come with a serial cable and a 5 & 1/4" floppy disk!

Message was edited by: CLAVIS2008

Journeyman

I was just gonna say, why turn off the debugging?

I leave it on all the time, it doesn't stop me from copying files from my PC to SD.

Journeyman

Hi,

I am having the same problem.  I have tried all of the previous posts with various solutions, and still get the "USB Device Not Recognized".  I have tried with USB debugging on and off, installed the Samsung USB drivers, turned off the phone, took the battery our, rebooted the PC, etc., etc., etc.  None of these have worked.

Since this thread is considered "Assumed Answered", can someone from Samsung or Sprint post the answer?

Thank you

Journeyman

Uncheck the USB debugging first, then connect the device to your computer. A drivers should install at this point (if haven't already).

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat