cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non stop power cycling

Highlighted
Journeyman

non stop power cycling

ever since i ran the gingerbread update my phone has been in a power-cycle loop.  sprint laughingly tells me to call customer support, which i can't cos (hello) my phone is inoperable.  then they tell me to go to a store, which i can't cos the closest one is over an hour away.

how do i stop the power cycling?  it's been doing this for 15 hours.

is the data on my memory card gone? i removed it after the update.

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Master

non stop power cycling

You memory card is safe - when your phone boots up it needs to read it as part of the startup so put it back in. Have you tried button soft reset -

Reset Phone Using Phone Keys

1. Turn power off.
    • If the Samsung EPIC 4G is frozen, remove then reinsert the battery.
  2. With the phone turned off, press and hold Volume Down button on left panel of phone, the Camera button, then press Power button.
  3. When phone’s display turns on, release the buttons.
    • Android System recovery screen should display.
    • If it does not, repeat step 2.

1. Use the Volume buttons to select Fastboot or Reboot, then press the Home button.

1. Press Volume up button to proceed.
    • This does not affect data on the SD Card.

1. When returned to Menu, with reboot system now selected, press Home button to reboot the phone.

1. Samsung EPIC 4G will reboot to Home screen.

These are the same type steps to wipe the phone so do not select that -

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Highlighted
Journeyman

non stop power cycling

My phone got hung in the reboot process after the upgrade. It switches back and forth between the Galaxy S screen and the Sprint 4G screen.

I tried following the reboot process outlined above, but I keep ending up in the same place - it's not rebooting. Do you have any other suggestions I can try?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

non stop power cycling

I am also having a constant reboot issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

non stop power cycling

Ditto

Highlighted

non stop power cycling

You will have to do a factory reset. The reset will not affect your SD card but will delete all apps, call logs, text messages and settings on your phone.

• Remove/Replace the battery.
  • Hold the Camera, Volume Down, and Power buttons at the same time.
  • Use the Volume Keys to go down to and highlight Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Press the Home button to select it.
  • Press the Volume Up button to confirm.
  • It will return to the previous screen. Press Home to select Reboot System Now.
Highlighted
Journeyman

non stop power cycling

I am having this issue as well.  Has anyone called Sprint from another phone about this yet? I can't until I get off work.

Highlighted

Re: non stop power cycling

alliekat1202 wrote:

I am having this issue as well.  Has anyone called Sprint from another phone about this yet? I can't until I get off work.

See the post above yours...if you call Sprint that is what you will be told to do....or to take your phone to a sprint store where they will most likely perform those steps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

non stop power cycling

Thanks! I posted at the same time as you so I didn't see it.

When I have time (lunch break of after work) I guess I'll be doing that! I've been thinking about doing a wipe lately anyway because it's been running kind of wonky.

Highlighted
Journeyman

non stop power cycling

To Okiestro...That is nothing but a cop-out and it may work for smaller problems in which you can actually load up the OS but when you can't even get past the Galaxy S screan, that is definitely a very serious issue here.  How about, do you have any idea how to fix it when system restore DOESN'T WORK? Or do I have to simply wipe out a years worth of my data just to get my phone working again due to what was supposed to be a simple update to improve my enjoyment of my overpriced Sprint product?

Highlighted
Journeyman

non stop power cycling

I had the same problem with the update, and I had no problem just resetting my phone. The whole reason it did that for me, when I looked into the logs, was that there were some corrupted files already into the OS before the update. most likely due to my exxessive use of the phone, and the amount of time I spend around magnets.

In my opinion, the benefits of the update far outweigh the problems.

Highlighted
Master

non stop power cycling

JPART5510 - Even if you do the reset your info should be backed up in Google. A store can install the operating system software if need be also. If you have info that is not in Google that is important there are programs to keep everything backed up to your sd card. As a default your media is automatically stored on your sd card and is not lost by performing the steps above.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat