cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung epic 4g 2.3?

Highlighted
Journeyman

samsung epic 4g 2.3?

I do hope these rumors are true for the Epic...we just got the Gingerbread update on the Galaxy Tab...the update has improved the batter life greatly...very pleased with that update...hope we see it on our Epics soon...not to mention the improved security Gingerbread brings...

Highlighted
Wizard

samsung epic 4g 2.3?

AFAIK, this press release from ~2 months ago is *still* the only official statement either Samsung or Sprint has made:  see http://www.samsung.com/us/news/newsPreviewRead.do?news_seq=19854 where it says, "The Android 2.3 upgrade will start with GALAXY S in the UK and Nordic  countries from mid-May, and gradually rolled out to other European  markets, North America, Southeast Asia, the Middle East Asia, Africa and  rest of the world according to the regional plan."  As with the Froyo update, the lack of official information and status updates is annoying.  Fortunately, we haven't been waiting forever for Gingerbread, so it's a bit more tolerable.  Still, we know there have been a bunch of Gingerbread builds for Epic, but I've still seen company represenatives (Sprint, Samsung, not sure) saying things like "if" the Epic gets Gingerbread.  I think it's already been stated that we *will* get it (see press release above).  This kind of mix-up of information is annoying as well.  I can understand if they don't want to give us an exact release date, because if they miss it, people will be upset.  But I do think that they can (1) admit that we *will* get Gingerbread on the Epic, (2) admit that they are currently working on it, and (3) give us an *estimate* for when it can be released, like in the summer -- it's vague, but gives us an idea that a release is close rather than far.  I find it hard to believe that after ~2 months of working on this, no one knows when it might actually be ready for release.  I think someone does, but no one's saying, and that's annoying, too.  All the rumors and speculation we read on other sites are pretty much just that until a company officially backs it with some statement, and they're not doing that (yet).  *sigh*  So yes, I'm pretty sure we are getting Gingerbread, and probably in the near future, but we're still waiting on official statements about it.  Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but the communication or lack thereof regarding Android OS updates we get (or not) from Sprint and Samsung does bother me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

samsung epic 4g 2.3?

its the first week of aug in no gingerbread for the epic yet im about to leak it but dont no where to get the update

Highlighted
Journeyman

samsung epic 4g 2.3?

need 2.3 for this phone. i like unifeid themes and need the minor tweaks and fixes. get er dun, sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

samsung epic 4g 2.3?

I'm absolutely SICK of this baloney. We've been Sprint/Nextel customers for over TEN YEARS and I'm ready to switch to an iPhone. They LIE LIE LIE about everything.

I bought these TOP OF THE LINE phones that shipped with cupcake: an already out-of-date version of the firmware, on the promise that we'd be getting FroYo in a WEEK.

You hear that, Sprint? Your salesperson TOLD me I'd get a working copy of FroYo in a week. LIARS. Last I checked, when a salesperson lies, it's called fraud. That's still a crime, right? Or has that been legalized yet by the Congress for you guys?

I'm still running a buggy, non-working copy of FroYo since March. We were promised Gingerbread to "make amends" for that disaster by the end of July. Now it's August and we get to find out that existing Epic 4G customers aren't getting Gingerbread. Only the new purchasers. Then excuse me, I want an even exchange for a working  phone please.

I am not renewing my contract after this. Period. After the Samsung Moment debacle, this was your last chance. You failed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

samsung epic 4g 2.3?

I am running 2.3.4 with the new modem firmware.  It is really fast and came already rooted.  It's amazing how the bug fixes make a difference on battery life and no lag at all.  I don't know why Sprint doesn't get these packaged and sent out.  I believe it's the bloatware they want to put on.  But being rooted I am running just Gingerbread 2.3.4 with my apps and my apps alone.  Check out XDA or Android Total for info.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

samsung epic 4g 2.3?

Hello NAVKAT, I apologize if you had been misinformed about the availability of Gingerbread. At this time we have not announced it's release. What problems did you notice after updating from Eclair to Froyo? Assuming you are posting about the Samsung Epic (since we are in the Samsung Epic area) .

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

samsung epic 4g 2.3?

Why are only NEW customers getting Gingerbread on their Epics? If the new Epics are shipping with this OS, why can't we loyal customers have it?

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: samsung epic 4g 2.3?

If you're talking about the screen shot that WRESTLER05 posted, it was a mistake and confirmed as such within a few days of it happening.  Unless something has changed very recently, new Epics are not shipping with Gingerbread.  They'll just be waiting less time for it than the rest of us.

And I agree that this wait is starting to get annoying, since back in May, Samsung announced a Gingerbread update for Galaxy S phones.  We're approaching 3 months since that press release without any official confirmation from Sprint that it is coming or any estimate of a release date despite ~2.5 months worth of work, testing, builds, and leaked builds.

Highlighted
Journeyman

samsung epic 4g 2.3?

I have the leaked and I like it my battery life is very good now. The phone hardly even lags anymore. I have been running it for like 2 months now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

samsung epic 4g 2.3?

I have never been more frustrated with a phone than this one.  It was my first android and have taken it back to the store several times with multiple issues, waited for the last update which didn't help a bit with the phone freezing, rebooting itself and going through battery like crazy even with everything turned off.  I have been a long time Sprint customer and have never complained until I upgraded to this phone.  Biggest mistake I ever made. I was told there is not problem with the hardware, its just the OS.   I kept hoping for a new release.  After all the issues I've read about I cannot believe they have not come out with update yet.  It would be a great phone if it worked. 

Even the technician at the corporate level said she had had 7 of these phones and finally switched to a different model.  I've been given the run-around for 6 months now.  These phones are not cheap for current customers who are eligible to upgrade, while they are for new customers.  You would think Sprint would try to do something for the current customers.  I'm really ready to change carriers over this and Sprint doesn't really seem to care.

Journeyman

samsung epic 4g 2.3?

1. Freezes
  2. Slowness/lagging
  3. Apps that keep turning themselves on
  4. poor compatibility with the calendar
  5. inability to add any contacts to groups or delete thos groups once you've created them. ARRRRGH!
  6. phone sometimes doesn't see the SD card
  7. poor battery life
  8. camera app does not allow you to turn off GPS
  9. GPS app gives incorrect directions 3/4ths of the time
  10. Sometimes turns itself off
  11. Reboots itself regularly
  12. Force closes apps daily. Even ones I've never had problems with in the past that haven't been updated or changed.
  13. Can't play videos half the time...especially YouTube vids. Says "This video can not be played at this time." Even if it's one I JUST PLAYED.
  14. "Forgets" settings and needs to be rebooted constantly
  15. Turns off sound and won't turn it back on without a reboot
  16. sometimes WIFI is stuck on or off and requires a reboot to change
  17. Keeps turning on my GPS by itself.
  18. Forces Apps and the browser into "offline" mode unless I use my own WIFI instead of the Sprint Network (I believe this is deliberate)

There's more but I can't remember everything now.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat