cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung epic 4g...EPIC FAIL!!! Very angy with sprint right now, and samsung

Highlighted
Journeyman

am i the only person on earth who has the samsung epic and completely hates it?  this phone started giving me grief at 32 days of having it...conveniently after my 30 day satisfaction guarantee.  the phone overheats and stops charging because "it is too hot".  with the phone constantly overheating this had put some stress on the thin crappy rubber keyboard.  i went to slide my keyboard open and to my surprise the phone was stuck in the closed position until the keypad shredded into several pieces and fell all over the middle of the street in downtown phoenix.  now i have no keyboard and my equiptment coverage will not cover a replacement due to the keyboard missing and sprint blaming me for physical damage!!!  I spoke with a supervisor who had only 2 resolutions to this problem.  the first resolution was to pay $100 and have them send me a new samsung epic 4g...no! i do not ever want a samsung again...especially the crappy one i just had that fried up and melted my keyboard that no longer holds calls, service, or sends texts.  not to mention, the HTC evo that i am interested in is almost $200 less than the cost of the epic...i wanted to downgrade to that phone, a cheaper one, and they refused to do that as well! the second resolution that the call center manager had was to just cancel my contract and lose me as a customer! wtf??? that is how you run a business.  i see, unfortunately, that i am the only person who has seemed to have trouble with my samsung epic, everyone else loves their epic!  wish i got the same phone you guys got.  I swear from this day on, i will not ever get a samsung again and i may switch to verizon wireless and get the HTC Thunderbolt.  Thanks for the help sprint!!!! NOT! very upset now.

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Just so i understand this. your mad at Samsung because Sprint will not replace a device for free?

Sounds like it had problems and you waited to long to take it in. If it no longer holds calls, service or sends texts, this would explain why it gets so hot charging. When a device has poor service signal it compensates by searching for signal more, thus using more battery. Your solution to the battery problem is to charge it more, making the phone hot. Then when it was hot forcing the keyboard to open instead of taking it to Sprint.

Also you are choosing to NOT use the manufacturer and send it directly to Samsung.

Also not sure where your getting the pricing for an EVO. As of right now on the website. EVO 449.99 regular price, -250 activation discount = 199.99

EPIC 499.99 regular price -350.00 activation discount = 149.99

At full price there is a 50 difference, oh and at discount price there is a 50 difference  Its just math..

Also looks like you missed the 2.2 update that overall made the phone better.

Journeyman

I love my Epic, hate that Sprint charges me $10 extra for the 4G that never works but we all know that they have gotten fee happy so time to go. They don't realize since I cn't use the plan the way it was advertised I can take them to court for the Termination fees. 6 Devices and 14 years but they don't care.

Journeyman

No. You are not alone. I hate the thing. It's garbage as far as I am concerned. If all I wanted it for was to watch video's or play angry birds maybe I could find some love for it. If you bought the Epic to communicate with people you got royally screwed. I'm on my 5th they are shipping me my 6th as we speak. I paid the 100$ for the *new* refurb that was broken out of the box, but that was 3 phones ago now. That problem where the back button spazzes out wasn't as completely fixed as they claimed it was I guess. I have never met an adult who uses the epic primarily for email and im'ing who was happy with the Epic. It would seem the Epic is best for people who don't have a real need for a phone.

The battery charging excuse for overheating is the same BS the Sprint guys fed me the first two phones. "Oh it's your fault because you overcharge the battery, that's all it could be". Really? That's funny as heck since I have two batteries and charge one in a defunct epic. So how can charging be overheating my epic, when it is never actually on the charger?? EVER. They said "uhhhh well we will just give you a new one as a courtesy". You aren't doing me a favor Sprint, your screwing me over again. My favorite part of the crap battery life is how they "solve" the issue. All you have to do is turn everything off. Are you freaking kidding me? Why did I blow the major wad of cash on the freakin android smart phone IF I DIDN'T NEED THE DAMN FUNCTIONS?! I'm not 14, I don't care of my friends think I'm cool. I NEED the phone and the functions. Sprint promised me it could do everything I needed adequately. Rooting it might help me but that will void my warranty and given the craptasticness of the phone it isn't worth the risk.

I would completely ignore anything IAmSixNine says. If the guy doesn't know that 2.2 broke damn near everyone's Epic in some way or another than anything coming out of his face is uninformed and useless. The ONE thing Sprint will tell the truth about is that 2.2 is buggy garbage. I thought the phone had just gotten crappier than usual, but the tech guys said no, 2.2 was just flat out not working and that I would just have to wait for 2.3 to fix it all. Which I am pretty sure is the same line of BS they gave us while we were waiting on 2.2. The next update will fix it and if it doesn't, we still don't care. Sucks to be you please pay us on time for the services we half butt provide when we feel like it ktnxbai.

Bottom line is I use this crap phone not only for my non profit, but as our main contact. I love a 23 year old who is in full renal failure and a partner in Iraq. This POS phone is our main contact for all the programs should an organ become available. It's what I use to talk to the many hospitals and programs we need because she isn't going to be able to wait for a cadaver. This phone is a big FREAKING DEAL because with all the traveling we have to do it's the only tie I have. I sleep with the damn thing for crying out loud. I ended up getting a second line that is a basic phone only line just to be sure the Epic wouldn't royally screw me. You ever tried keeping somebody terminal alive?! It ain't cheap. I skip eating some days because I gotta make sure I can pay all the damn bills. I don't need this extra freakin expense because my phone sucks. I went so far as to BEG Sprint for an early upgrade. I'm less than 4 months away from my contract ending I have never missed a bill and they get darn near $200 a month from me. Nope. Can't do it.

Fark Sprint.I am probably going to pay the ETF and walk away. They sure as hell don't have a problem taking my money, so I don't understand why I have to fight to get my money's worth. It's not worth it. They are just going to keep lying and I am better off flushing whatever money I have to to unload this misery that is Sprint. Her life is more important than a few hundred dollars, but damn Sprint to hell for going out of their way to screw an Epic owner over. I can't make them act right but I am going everywhere from the BBB to reseller ratings explaining why Sprint sucks and I would encourage you to do the same. Maybe we will save someone else some cash and spare them some lying stupid. 

Added bonus: Went to spell check this post... just keep getting message that says "error". Congrats Sprint you finally got one right. You are an definite "error".

Journeyman

Listen, supervisors are only good for reading the 'supervisor' script; they're not really there to resolve issues; they're there to tell you the only option you have based on whatever they have on their little card. Forget about trying to make sure they resolve your problem. And Samsung? Don't get me started. Sprint you will lose customers including me, you should consider extending your contracts.

Journeyman

Wow I am so sorry that you had such rotten luck.  I personally love my EPIC and Sprint.  I have been with the company since 2003 and have never failed to be able to resolve any problems to my satisfaction.  I've had my Epic since November 2010. The changeover to 2.2 did create a minor problem as suddenly my contact screen begin utilizing landscape mode, but I was given a replacement phone and have had no issues since.  There was just some minor corrpution to the 2.2 data that caused the problem.  The only time I have noted overheating is when I charge the phone with my car charger but it doesn't create any issues and certainly hasn't been hot enough to melt the key pad, I'm amazed you could hold it if it got that hot!!!

Anyway, I hope your problem has been resolved and that you have better luck in the future!!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat