cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

we need a update to froyo???????

Highlighted
Journeyman

we need a update to froyo???????

this is the most ugly phone on yhe history.

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: we need a update to froyo???????

Chatted with a Sprint rep yesterday and they said, "... Be assured, 2.2 for Samsung Epic phone will be available in Jan, 2011 as per the updates."

Journeyman

I'll believe it when I see it...

Journeyman

Me too... me too...

Wizard

What updates are they talking about for a January 2011 release of 2.2?  If I'm not mistaken, the Froyo update was originally scheduled for something like October, which didn't happen, and then the end of the year, which also looks like it's not going to happen.  As others said, I'll believe it when I see it.  Until then, how about giving us some real information, Sprint?  Like what's causing the repeated delays and giving us an actual ETA (not "soon" or "near future")?  The lack of communication on this topic is more frustrating than not getting the update.  Please provide some real information -- I think that's what most people really want.

Journeyman

Dronak01 wrote:

What updates are they talking about for a January 2011 release of 2.2?  If I'm not mistaken, the Froyo update was originally scheduled for something like October, which didn't happen, and then the end of the year, which also looks like it's not going to happen.  As others said, I'll believe it when I see it.  Until then, how about giving us some real information, Sprint?  Like what's causing the repeated delays and giving us an actual ETA (not "soon" or "near future")?  The lack of communication on this topic is more frustrating than not getting the update.  Please provide some real information -- I think that's what most people really want.

All the dates you vaguely presented in your comments are all rumors, and hearsay.  Sure if it doesn't come by the end of the year more than likely it's a good reason.  Personally I'd rather have an update that doesn't brick my device like the Evo, Intercept, and the Incredible for example.  Also I don't want the bugs that the Droid, and Incredible still have, and some have gotten worse for example.  I think there would be more complaining if they rushed it just to meet some over-zealous people can't wait and don't care if they get something 1/2 baked.

Journeyman

the5147 wrote:

Chatted with a Sprint rep yesterday and they said, "... Be assured, 2.2 for Samsung Epic phone will be available in Jan, 2011 as per the updates."

Oh wow, now im so totally assured. 

Wow that is just rich. At this point we would have to be an ultra-maroon to believe anything they say that doesn't have a firm date, as well as an explanation of the testing that remains and the issues that caused them to go back on their promises in the past.

Journeyman

Tidbits808 wrote:

Dronak01 wrote:

All the dates you vaguely presented in your comments are all rumors, and hearsay.  Sure if it doesn't come by the end of the year more than likely it's a good reason.  Personally I'd rather have an update that doesn't brick my device like the Evo, Intercept, and the Incredible for example.  Also I don't want the bugs that the Droid, and Incredible still have, and some have gotten worse for example.  I think there would be more complaining if they rushed it just to meet some over-zealous people can't wait and don't care if they get something 1/2 baked.

Many of those dates were given to me and others by Sprint representatives in person or over the phone.  So is Sprint just unable to deliver, unwilling to tell the truth, or do their representatives have carte blanche to fabricate dates from whole cloth?

Wizard

Since I didn't get my Epic until mid-November, I could be wrong about earlier potential Froyo release dates.  However, the "end of the year" was definitely given by GalaxySsupport on Twitter, into early December.  Unless they've deleted tweets, you should be able to go back in their feed and find this.  Their Twitter bio says they're an official support outlet, so you can't say that this (at least) was "rumors and hearsay".  At one point, Samsung officially stated that the Epic would get Froyo by the end of the year.  Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, and there has to be some reason for it.  I understand that software testing takes time, and I totally agree that it's better to have a properly working upgrade than a buggy one that will cause problems.  But why exactly is it taking so long?  I would just like some more communication from Samsung and/or Sprint as to what's causing the delays and how much longer we'll have to wait.  FYI, as I'm writing this, I'm seeing GalaxySsupport tweeting a bunch of replies to the effect of they're doing additional testing on Froyo due to the complexity and unique functionality of each device, and trying to ensure a simple and reliable upgrade.  *shrug*  Not much we can do except keep waiting, but I have to say that this is a disappointing first experience with Samsung and Android for me.  I don't think it's too much to ask for timely software updates on a top-of-the-line phone.

Wizard

Please continue any comments regarding the Android 2.2 upgrade in this thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/252630#252630

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat