cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi connection issue...anyone else having similar problems?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have my epic set up on my wifi at home witch works fine until I don't use my phone for an hour or so. Then when I try to go on the net or on one of my apps that need an internet connection it doesn't work (sometimes says there is a connection error). My wifi connection icon is showing and it shows full bars. When I go to my wifi settings it says its connected. In order to get it to work again I have to turn my wifi off and on again and then it works fine until I don't use it for a while and then I have to repeat this process over again. Also my wife has the same phone and is having the same issue. I have tried changing the wifi sleep settings, I have reset the wifi security password, I'm out of ideas can anyone help please.  We are both running the Android 2.2. Also we have been using our wifi for over a year and we have been using the same wireless router, we arent trying to connect to a wireless hotspot this is happening with our router in our home, the phones show that we are connected to our router but when we try to go on the web or open apps we get a message that says no connection or unable to load or some other message basicly saying that we have no internet conection. If anyone can help or if there are any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.  THANKYOU

13 REPLIES 13
Wizard

yes, after my update to froyo 2.2.1, my wifi started doing the exact thing.  i don't know of any other way to correct it other than hard-reset, which will wipe the phone clean.  not a desirable solution, but i was fed up so did it anyway.

Journeyman

I had the same issue. I had a hard time connecting to certain apps like the market and facebook. I thought it was a problem with the apps until I started to get the message "unable to scan network connections when I switched to 3G. I think I fixed the problem by updating my profile and my prl. I have not had the problem since then. Try going to your home screen and do this:

Click Menu>Settings>About Phone>System Updates>Update Profile

After that is done, clic on Update PRL. I did this two days ago and haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps!

Journeyman

the wifi doesnt work!! you have to pay an additional 30 dollars for the service!! i found that out today when i called sprint.. this evo is turning out to be a joke!2

Journeyman

WiFi works if you have WiFi access. You don't have to pay for WiFi connection. If you have a computer at home with high speed internet, you can connect a router and get WiFi on your phone. I am always on WiFi and never had to pay $30 extra

Wizard

@dkrotze1, maybe you need to spend a bit more time with your user manual.

Journeyman

@DKROTZE1   They are talking about using WiFi. Not Mobile Hot Spot. Completely differnt topic. Please pay attetion. LOL

So to the OP, you mention your wife and you have been using the same WiFi router for a year. Has this connection issue been there the whole time? Or did it start after a major or minor update?

I see your on 2.2 now but back when you were on 2.1 did it always work? I have an idea or two but i need to know if this issue has been around since day one or started recently.

Thanks

Journeyman

Yes, I've seen this issue as well but it goes a bit further in my case.

Any time I leave WiFi on during an extended period of disuse, my phone's data quits working just like yours does.  However, simply turning WiFi off and back on doesn't resolve the issue.  Further, 3G data won't work anymore either.  Entering airplane mode and exiting it doesn't appear sufficient to reset the wireless modems, unfortunately.  I am forced to shut the phone down completely and then start it up again in order to get data back.  Once I do so, everything is indeed back to normal until the next time.

Journeyman

@geoffsevart    Your problem sounds more like a modem issue.

IF your a technical person try to re-flash the modem using ODIN.

If your not, then try to a profile up date followed by a PRL update and see if that helps.

At least that is what i would do if it were my device doing this.

Journeyman

I am having a Wi-Fi issue with my EVO Shift 4G phone.  The phone connects to my home network successfully because I can see the icon on the status bar on top but when I go to use the internet or any of the other apps such as facebook I get the error message that I do not have a data connection.  I have reset my router and updated the profile and PRL on my phone and this still does not seem to work.  Help

Journeyman

As to the original poster of the question of wifi issues I believe I have a solution for your problem. Most routers scan and broadcast on multiple "channels" to avoid RF interference and reduce data loss. You can set your router to broadcast on one channel instead of automatically scan and this should solve your problem. Some routers have a graphical interface within the settings (url:192.168.1.1) that shows channel activity so that you can select the least used channel. If you have a lot of 2.4GHz traffic then that also could be an issue. I don't know if you have a home phone, let alone any other wireless toys but these all create traffic within this frequency range and can effectively reduce the "clean" bandwidth available.

Other posters have discussed updating your network profile and PRL (Preferred Roaming List) but that has absolutely nothing to do with wifi connections, but rather network coverage in relation to CDMA and 3G coverage. Let me know how it goes and if you need any help. Post the model of your router as well as other wireless devices on that same 2.4GHz frequency.

Journeyman

Sound like WiFi may have just gone into sleep mode and wont wake up for some reason.

Goto Menu/wireless and network/Wi-Fi settings  Then Tap menu again and choose advanced Tap on Wi-Fi sleep policy and choose Never..(I think default is 15 min) Then hit back until you get back to the home screen. After that see what happens

Hope this helps.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat