cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is the Samsung Mega going to get Android 4.3?

Go to solution
Journeyman

When is the Samsung Mega going to get Android 4.3?

I like my Mega 6.3, and I would like to pair it with a Galaxy Gear Smartwatch, but If I understand the compatibility issue, my Mega needs to be running Android 4.3, not the 4.2.2 that is currently installed. The chat boards suggested that 4.3 was coming in "January". Well, it it now February, and no update. Is the upgrade coming? Does the Galaxy Smartwatch work at all without 4.3?

8 REPLIES 8
Master

Re: When is the Samsung Mega going to get Android 4.3?

BURTONY1,

Thanks for posting.  We appreciate your interest in the Galaxy Gear Smartwatch and pending software updates. For all the latest information as it pertains to software upgrades, please stay tuned to newsroom.sprint.com. For all related information on which devices are compatible with Galaxy Gear Smartwatch, visit www.samsung.com/galaxygear. Please keep us posted if you have any additional concerns you'd like us to address

Thank You,

DePaul W.

Sprint Social Care Team 

Wizard

@Burtony1,

Which chat boards are you referring too? Then again it doesn't matter, what matters is that Samsung states which model is getting it. Currently (as per the article on BSR this morning) the following devices will be getting KitKat. http://bgr.co/1fD1xlB

Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 Active, Galaxy S4 Zoom, Galaxy Mega, Galaxy S3 mini, Galaxy Note 8.0, and Galaxy Tab 3 7.0

As for Galaxy gear compatibility with the current mega, nope. Samsung issued an update for other previous models to work with the Gear, but the S4 and Mega have not.

TS

Master

SA_twospirits,

Thanks for replying and providing the above information. Please keep us posted should you have any questions about any of our products and service.

Best Regards,

DePaul W.

Sprint Social Care Team 

Journeyman

Thanks TS and DePaul for the replies. So, do you think (on the Mega) that they would upgrade straight from 4.2 to 4.4?  Is that usual?  I don't really care if the update is 4.3 or 4.3, I'm just trying to get the Mega compatibility with the Samsung Smartwatch. I've tried the Sony Smartwatch, but it just doen't work well enough (I can't get my email to work) with the Samsung phones, so I am interested in trying the Samsung Smartwatch.

Thanks, BURT

Master

BURTONY1, 

Thank you for the response, at this time there is no set time when the update will be available for the Mega. Once the update becomes available it will be pushed directly to your device. Without at least the 4.3 the Galaxy Gear will not be able to work with the mega. I hope you found this information helpful. If you have any questions please let us know. 

Charles G. 

Sprint Social Care Team  

Journeyman

I see that the Samsung Mega 4.2.2 at AT&T (see link below) is listed as "compatible" with Galaxy Gear at the Samsung site (see that link below):

AT&T Samsung Mega Description:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00056173/70247/SGH-I527ZKBATT

What makes AT&T's Mega compatible but NOT Sprint's Mega?

Samsung Website listing Galaxy Gear compatibility:

http://www.samsung.com/us/galaxy-gear-compatible-devices/

Galaxy Gear™ is currently compatible with the following Samsung Devices:

AT&T
Samsung Galaxy Note® 3, SM-N900A
Samsung Galaxy S® 4, SGH-i337
Samsung Galaxy S III, SGH-i747
Samsung Galaxy Mega™, SGH-i527

Sprint
Samsung Galaxy Note 3, SM-N900
Samsung Galaxy S 4, SPH-L720
Samsung Galaxy Note II, SPH-L900
Samsung Galaxy S III, SPH-L710

Master

BURTONY1,

Please know we are working with Samsung to add the compatibility with the Galaxy Gear as soon as possible.  At this time, however, we still do not have any estimates to provide.

Thank you,

KC

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Hi KC,

Thanks for the reply. Guess what? I received and update on my Samsung Mega this morning, and with it, I got Samsung Gear compatibility. That is all I was really looking for, anyway. Interestingly, it is still Android 4.2.2.

So much for the requirement of 4.3 or better to enable Gear functionality.

Thanks, BURT

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat