cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Note 3 Issues: The REAL Review?

Highlighted
Wizard

Galaxy Note 3 Issues: The REAL Review?

I have had pretty much every Galaxy Phone to come out: the Note 2 being a very solid and pleasant performer; the Galaxy S2 being the absolute worst... and the New Note 3 fast becoming the new "Worst" Galaxy Phone... regarding Call Quality, regarding Wi-Fi, Regarding the interface, and far too many quirks to list.  Here is a brief listing for your review and comment:

See attached pdf file (if this worked correctly)

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Journeyman

One of the most disappointing phones ever! Call quality is so horible i have to pull my ear away several times each call from loud popping noises. Person on the other end sounds like theyre on speaker when theyre not. I always have 2-3 bars less then my GS4 and have dropped several calls the last 2 days which is a first in the last 2 years for me. Data signal is even worse. GS4 4g LTE is -85dBm and note 3 is -113dBm if it doesnt switch to 3g . I waited 5 months to get this and promised my sister she could have my GS4 now im gonna have to take it back and break her heart. I hope its some software issue and gets fixed with a firmware update. If it doesn't happen soon I'll have to return it to Best Buy. Maybe it really is time to switch to t-mobile.

Highlighted
Wizard

PDF not showing up, you may need to upload it to a cloud service like dropbox etc and provide the link to that.

As for the issues, I agree that its disappointing but as long as customers report their findings to all that can possibly do something about it (like directly to Samsung via email, text, twitter etc,) then the sooner a fix will be made.

And yes i do blame Samsung for this fiasco.

TS

Highlighted
Wizard

Thank you for your post.

I know the spec's for this phone seem appreciable, yet such hasn't been my experience. Apps that didn't lag on my Note 2 lag on the Note 3. A simple "Atomic Bomber" app for instance.

The interface often seems disconnected from the display. I'll tap on something, and it isn't acknowledged. Then a tap on a home icon will send the home display into home display #2 (right or left screen slide), and not the app tapped. Often times tapping the display only swings the menu right or left without executing that which was tapped.

The entire SNote interface seems buggy and disconnected. Tap on the display in "T"ext mode, and a blue text window pops up completely out of sync with the underlying template... like you're not typing onto actual lined paper, but over a transparent misaligned wallpaper. The Note 2 had physical lines you typed into.  The whole SNote app is disjointed, and the graphical white screen is often laggy. Try backspacing to remove characters.

?The characters remain! At the end of an edited paragraph, it's not uncommon to have single characters and half disjointed words lingering behind the end-of-line cursor. You must exit the SNote "Note", then restart.  The whole thing is buggy.

The entire web app experience is changed for the worst.  Even when filling in this reply form, my text often automatically increases in size, making typing into the box near impossible (can't see what/where I'm typing.) 

Tapping on most web info brings that info up into a kinda magnifying thing-a-ma-Bob. For instance, check mark boxes get magnified to supposedly make it easier to check mark them. They magnify when you tap on them instead of just putting the "x" in them, creating another necessary tap to revert back to a UN-magnified. This feature sometimes does, and often times doesn't put the check mark in the box. When it doesn't, yet another tap is necessary to mark the box. Whew!

Other times this magnifying goes a step further, putting the entire sentence into a magnifying text box. The problem is that the box is narrow, cutting off the top and bottom words. Buggy.

There's also a slight lag when selecting anything within thy browser.

Then there's the constant intermittent "wireless network not available" notification when Wi-Fi is off and no programs need it. I know the config "settings" well, and options regarding "location" and "Wi-Fi only" necessities are off. It's just... quirky.

The whole screen interface is as if you're interacting on a pre-screen, that needs a nanosecond to then interact directly with the hardware.

Couple these minor annoyances and departures from the Awesome Note 2 with documented Wi-Fi issues, crippling voice call quality, battery issues, heat issues... and you get the impression that the "Awesome, Fantastic, does the dishes too!" Note 3 is really an SII in sheep's clothing.

The good? The screen brightness and quality. It's the only reason I haven't returned the unit yet. I'm enjoying the screen. At day 12, this puppy goes back to the kennel.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Agreed, while I've been dedicating 50% of screen on time to wi fi issues that are crippling and haven't found all the above stated issues , Samsung / sprint have the nerve to say it's an unknown issue. There are dozens of people experiencing this problem on this forum alone not to mention many others. If they are not going to acknowledge us, there could be a mass migration to T-Mobile. WAKE UP sprint/ Samsung! 😕

Highlighted
Wizard

Hello and thanks for your info and observations.

This is my 3rd Note 3. Work and play has me using every capable aspect of the smartphones I buy... and I tend to get whatever Sprint currently has available.  The call quality is the store stopper. It's simply a must. Since there have now been more than a few posts with subscribers obtaining a Note 3 without issues (mostly in Texas?). This is a good thing.

Since I'm on the Note frequently, I can pick out the nitty gritty which interrupts my productive use and entertainment use of the Note 3.

Compared to the Note 2, songs things are indeed definitely faster, yet some are not. I believe it's the new interface Samsung is using, which is most likely the sane as the Galaxy S4. Three Note 2 and S3 were/are compatible that way. Some Note 2 native apps (SNote and Calendar) aren't completely compatible as it relates to restored data transfer from one phone to another.

In landscape mode, while typing this in the "reply window", the swype keyboard still takes up 2/3 of the bottom screen. Why that magnifying text window pops up when I try to edit text is beyond me, and as I stated, it has no realestate to work, cramming the text line into a narrow magnified box/rectangle.

The heat and battery issues are not my issues, but listed issues of others. I was at a place with excellent Wi-Fi, and my laptop connected without difficulty. The Note 3 wouldn't connect. It kept trying to "verify the IP address". This is unacceptable in an age where most phones simply log onto the available Wi-Fi, and if web "acceptance" of the connection is necessary, the phone should simply pop up a message that states "web authorization necessary" and allow you the option to goto your web browser to complete the "agree" statement. Our better yet, just pop up a screen "authenticate?" Question to finish the Wi-Fi connection procedure.

But the Note 3 sits there, and will often NOT CONNECT with the message, "not connected because the signal is too weak"...all the while my laptop is connected and flying away at breakneck speeds. Samsung has had Wi-Fi issues with most their phones I've purchased.

Highlighted

John032060

Thank you for reaching out on Sprint Community. Thank you for your post and Opinions. We appreciate it. Any questions we are here to help.

Erica

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Wizard

Hi Erica

Thank you for your kind words and inviting my to "come talk to you" regarding my Galaxy Note 3 "The Real Review" Sprint forum content.

I have been in contact with Sprint and Samsung on the crippling Galaxy Note 3 Issues. I hope they fix this horrible and expensive mess. It's affecting Sprint Note 3 owners nation wide.

Also, the awareness of these issues is growing, and has now become a "movement" to get Samsung to acknowledge the issue, and to come up with a speedy fix. Until then, the "movement" comprising loyal Sprint customers is educating people not to purchase the phone, and to return the defective Galaxy Note 3 within 14 days of ORIGINAL PURCHASE (exchanges don't stop the clock, and the day of purchase counts as day one).

This is not a vindictive "movement". It is Sprint customers from all walks of life and location who paid $350 plus an added contract of 2 years cellular expense (or $700+ outright) of their hard earned money.

Ask they want is for Sprint to go to bat for them, and for Samsung to acknowledge and fix the problem by day 13 of the phone's release.

I would like to remind Sprint and Samsung of a historical account in the Bible, where Solomon's son answered his subjects (subscribers?) harshly, not listening to the wisdom of his father's advisors. The kingdom divided over his foolishness. (1st Kings chapter 12).

This is a time for Sprint and Samsung to act kindly while the Sprint "kingdom" is hurting because your most expensive and technologically advanced phone doesn't function as it should.

Balls in your court. "Talk to us"... to the "movement".

John

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has anyone went on samsung site and rated the note 3. I was just one there and there is no ratings for the phone at all. Maybe we should do that to get there attention.

Highlighted
Wizard

Hi Pamela!

Thank you for your post. I think I tried, but I believe you have to purchase a phone through them to rate it? I try again. Take care. John

Highlighted
Wizard

Introducing the Galaxy Note 3: The REAL Review

The reason this is called the real review is because many of the reviews  on web sites currently state that the note 3 is in excellent phone. However, the actual user experience is quite different.

Many Note 3 purchasers are on their 3rd and 4th phone exchange.

The problems are nation wide. There are many new "Reviews" now surfacing that tell the real story of the Note 3, without the "made for TV" type hype.

Please see the Sprint Community Forum "http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/651867#651867

The Good:

The screen. It is bright. It is clear. It is awesome.

The battery. It seems to last longer than the Note 2.

The power cord: charging is faster when connected to outlet power via the new USB 3.0 inlet and power cord. REVIEWS state this USB interface will also increase data speeds when connected till USB 3.0 computer port. I have not tested this, but it's obviously reasonable.

The Bad:

The Touch Wiz interface seems to be quirky. There is often a miscommunication, it no communication at all, between the finger point and the screen. Tap on a homescreen icon, and you may notice this delay or experience no action at all.

Likewise, the Internet application has features that get in the way more than they help. Tap on a "reply" link to a forum, and you'll pull your hair out trying to type in a reply. Text size changes on the fly, completely blinding you to what you've just typed, and often times your cursor all together.

Sometimes when tapping on an entry field, you'll get that section immediately within a magnifying rectangle. The options you could have chosen without the magnification quickly pop into view, then disappear. You're left with a slightly magnified rectangle box that you just have to tap again to get back to the original non-magnified screen. Then your prior used options click info view, again, giving you the option to input them into the field. It's a glitch that soon becomes irritating.

In landscape mode, the HUGE keyboard takes up more that a third of the screen realestate. The notification bar and the suggested word bar take up considerable space too. All said and done, you have a small rectangle to maneuver input text/message in a web site. Couple this with the magnifying thing, and you'll soon avoid web forum input all together. While you can remove the notification bar display (and word suggest bar) from the screen with settings options, I personally feel blind not seeing the clock nor the status of my data connection (which, by the way, is now comprised of very very small up and down arrow tops beside the 3G indicator. I miss the full arrow representations. I could see them easier. That's why we get a large phone, right?) There are multiple interface quirks when interacting on message boards, including being sent to the top of the messages while entering text on the screen bottom, then having to use a narrow view window to scroll back to your text entry location. Buggy, quirky, and time consuming.

The SNote application is totally different (and not fully compatible with the Note 2, more on that later). It's like, again, you're typing on a top layer interface that the screen then needs to communicate with a bottom interface. The lag is minuscule, but you sense it. When choosing a lined template to type onto, you're dismayed that you no longer type directly into those lines as in the Note 2. With the Note 3, you are presented with a blue text box to enter your text into. Problem is, the text box is not aligned with the lines on the template, further giving you that "disconnected" feeling between the interface and the actual app. It's no surprise when you discover that your entered text isn't in the template lines all, but the lined template is just a wallpaper background completely disconnected from your message. Not very professional, and sub par to the Note 2's direct entry. You begin to wonder if Samsung tried a new thing regarding user input, where there's a middle layer of programming involved between input and execution. The more you sense lag on this statistically superior phone, the more you sense this middle layer is a reality.

Try backspacing within SNote to delete unwanted text. The cursor goes left, but portions of the deleted text remain on the right side of the cursor! These phantom characters cannot be deleted without exiting that SNote and then re-entering to remove the text. It's not uncommon to have a string of word pieces and stay characters residing in the right cursor margin.

The graphics potential should be everything the reviews state. Indeed the screen is stunning. But why then does a dinky game app such as "Atomic Bomber" lag ask over the place when it doesn't on my Note 2?

The screen is beautifully awesome (can't day that enough), yet tapping on it is another matter entirely. Not only is there the intermittent delay mentioned earlier, but the result may be unexpected as well. Tap on Ann home screen icon, and the screen might slide to the right or left menu screen instead of executing the app you tapped. Start tapping a word in a text input area, and watch how the word morphs. "Comm ::) ng" is an actual real time and reproducible example of me meticulously pecking the keyboard characters for the word "coming". Although the keyboard interface is to blame, it is still there and contributes to the overall experience.

The list of statistics is impressive, yet you begin to realize something just isn't right in Dodge. Add up all The Bad, and your user experience is lacking where it shouldn't in an expensive electronic purchase.

There's more, but you get the point.

The Ugly:

If call quality is important to you, the Note 3 is not the phone for you. Whether you use headphones, speakerphone, our the headset, the voice you hear on a connected call will snap, crackle and pop. The incoming voice will have high and low pitches, sometimes high enough to hurt your ears. The interruption and popping and morphing of the voice frequency will make you cringe when you have to make, or receive, an important call. This is being experienced by Note 3 users nation wide.

Although repeated phone exchanges and returns do nothing to alter this occurrence, Samsung well state they want you to send in your phone for repairs, stating as of this message, that they are unaware of the problem (though it's awareness went viral nation wide. Right). Sprint is currently looking into the matter as most are returning or exchanging their phone for the 3rd and 4th time. See http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/651867#651867 for details and Sprint comment.

If Wi-Fi is important to you, then the Note 3 is not the phone for you. I was at a Toyota dealer with "Excellent" Wi-Fi signal strength. My laptop connected without issue at breakneck speeds with "Excellent" listed as the signal strength.  My Note 3, meanwhile, kept displaying "attempting to authenticate IP address". It never did connect.

At Starbucks, again my laptop connected without issue with "Excellent" displayed as my signal strength. . My Note 3 wouldn't connect, stating "Signal strength too weak". Wi-Fi is trash on this phone. Google this for your own research.

Note 2 native calendar DATA transfer to the Note 3 is not supported. That's right. Samsung released a Note 3 without compatibility with the Note 2. That in itself says something. If you decided to forgo having your private Calendar data plastered on a Google or Samsung "will eventually be hacked someday" "cloud" and opted instead to keep all your calendar data on your "phone" app... then you're outta luck. Where you could simply install a "Kies" program on your PC computer and backup/restore a galaxy S3 into a Note 2, that is s no-can-do with the Note 3. First, the Kies software will tell you that version 2.6 whatever isn't compatible with the Note 3 and to download version 3.0. After downloading that and installing the update (no small amount of time either), you'll discover that all your Kies backups are no where to be found for the 3.0 version of Kies. Thus, all your use of Kies to backup and restore was for naught. As of this message Samsung technical support affirms that neither Kies nor the Smartswitch program currently offer Note 2 native calendar transfers to the Note 3. Note 3 S Note is also incompatible. The Smartswitch app will transfer Note 2 SNote data to the Note 3, but you'll lose a lot of formatting of the Note 2 version, and, once in the Note 3, your editing of the Note 2 SNote is limited. Samsung wasn't looking ahead here, because people going from a Note 2 to Note 3, and (mistakenly) turning on their Note 2 as an exchange, will have no avenue to get their native calendar information into the Note 3. Ridiculous.

Google sync only restores a few months worth of calendar entries onto the new phone. Not good if you want ALL your calendar transfered to the new phone.

Call quality and Wi-Fi are a must in a Smartphone, especially a $700 phone (or $350 and a two year commitment to expensively connect the phone the duration of that 2 years). Either way you look at it, the purchase should function as advertised, and the Note 3 (Galaxy S2?) doesn't. The ability to transfer information from the prior Note 2 should have been made "easy" long before the Note 3 became available, especially concerning trade in matters.

Some lucky chaps have actually received a good Note 3 void of the call quality issues. As if this message, I have heard of a mere handful that have.  Is the Note 3 the phone for you? If you're willing to take the gamble, just be aware that exchanges do not reset their 14 grace period, and returning/exchanging the phone after 3 days could snag you with a $36 activation/upgrade fee, plus, for some, like Sprint, a restocking fee as well. Take stock in the fact that many of us are on our 3rd and forth return, with no admission Samsung admission nor fix of the problem in sight.

Take care, John

Highlighted

john032060

Thanks, again for your comments and reaching out John. I'm Sure Samsung is working on it. We hope for a speedy response. Keep us posted as well.

Erica

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat