cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

Wizard

Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

Couldn't see the left portion of the text window with that last reply. Only one "John"in my name.

Journeyman

Been meaning to post here all along, but could not figure out how...duh, had to log on.

Anyhow, got Note 3 on  10/913.  Today is pretty much decision day.  In love with this phone, screen wise,battery wise, potential...for once, I have the latest and "greatest" instead of a phone that will be EOL'd a month after I buy (End Of Life-ed, meaning they are done with updating, etc.)  Due to this ongoing and up-in-the -air issue, I have stopped setting up my preferences and customizing my new phone until I know if I am keeping, or not.  My previous phone had great call quality (Wimax) but the external speaker has been broken for over a year and the internal memory (sad 500MB) was full, so a new phone is required.  I will be committing to two more years, whether with a Note 3, or a 2.  I considered other carriers, but for my own reasons, I really do want to stick with Sprint for at least one more 2yr commitment.

But the call quality is paramount!  Now, do I believe what CORVETTE7228, TAHOLMES, and balistc1 have been told and take a chance and hold on to this beautiful phone?  I have had a tech support ticket in since the 2nd day I owned and I have not received any such communication.  In my case, the Sprint customer service by phone have been very nice, very friendly (with the exception of one snarky, condescending tool in a store), but no solution offered except to change my phone for another Note 3 or a Note 2.  I think that another Note 3 will have the same issues based on info in this forum, so that seems like a waste of time.  But, if I wait and the "fix" that has been promised to others at the end of October does not fix, then I am stuck???  Ugh!!

Question:  Does anybody who is tech-ish know...if the call quality issue is due to a tri-band related problem, meaning that Sprint's Note 3 only supports one band frequency instead of 2 or 3, is this something that can be resolved with a software or firmware update???  Wouldn't this be a hardware issue??

Last question, and unrelated...John032060...why do your posts have a thin blue band along the right side of the post while other persons do not???  Just curious...I am very observant, being an investigator by nature...

take care all, good luck, any resonses to my queries is greatly appreciated!!

~Julie

Highlighted
Journeyman

i wouldn't be surprised if the voice issue was related to trying to utilize the 800Mhz band for CDMA.... but i have no technical knowledge to support that! i do know that the Note 2 had a problem implementing that, so Sprint gave the device an 'emergency' prl to folks affected, so that the device would stop trying to utilize cdma on that frequency. it would be super disappointing if that were the 'fix' given to the Note 3 as well!

i have noticed that people in Texas have been reporting no voice quality issues, so i wonder if there has been no implementation of CDMA on 800 Mhz there? again, simply conjecture, and i may as well quit now!

i do hope a real fix is implemented so i can go and pick up this device.

Wizard

First, why the blue line? It's better than hitting redline. Really though, it's probably because I started this discussion (I don't see the line myself). I can assign the question answered, or not.

Regarding the tri-band question. This answer was verified by Sprint Technical Support. There are three bands. The 800 band, which is what Nextel was on, doesn't currently support 4gLTE (but in the future it's supposed to). The WiMax band, is a band that is no longer going to be used for Wimax. The 1900 band, which is what the Note 3 and all other VOICE cellular phones use, is that third band depending on your point of view).  Whether or not the 1900 band has something to do with the Note 3 problems is unknown, but since (for the most part) other Note 3's from other carriers are not widely affected, I'd say no. It could be how Sprint's hardware/software/firmware interact with that single band, but not the band itself.

Regarding chancing keeping your phone (grammar is horrible in that sentence, but oh well), Sprint technical support acknowledges an update is pending. The update will come from Samsung to Sprint. Sprint then tests it for compatibility. Then it's pushed to your phone. It's not a quick process as far as "Now" in the "Now Network" scheme of things, but it is pending. Will it resolve the issues? The safest bet is to return the phone, then wait to hear the hub bub about the update's success.

Good luck with your decision.

Journeyman

Yea, thanks, thanks!!  The blue line explanation makes sense, I think you are correct.  You started this thread, so you are special!

I have to decide today, I think.  Problem is, if I go to a Note 2, I will be locked into that for two years and unable to change to a 3 if fix improves call quality.  BUT, I have read nothing but good about the 2 and have a couple friends who have one and are happy.  I just wanted to have the latest and greatest, for once. 😉

I COULD go back to my limping EPIC (out of contract) and wait to hear about the results of the supposed "fix", but....that poor phone...I am already used to my giant screen on the Note 3 and when I try to use the Epic it feels so very tiny.

Anyhow, thanks for your reply, thanks for all of your work on this issue.  Take care.

Wizard

Hi again Julie,

I have the Note 2, and it is the absolute best phone I've ever had. It's stable and reliable. The games I play on the Note ran smoother on the Note 2 than on the Note 3. The Note 3 lagged at Atomic Bomber and Pinball Arcade (jerky play).

I'm using the Note 2 now until a fix shows up that REALLY fixes the Note 3.

You would be very Happy with the Note 2... if you had never seen the brightness of the Note 3. I get the newest phone out, every time. So I'm not a good example of what I'm about to suggest: Get the Note 2 at a cheap price right now, and then upgrade to the Note 4 when it comes out. The Note 3 is real buggy right now with its voice, Wi-Fi and interface issues (stock). The Note 4 well have 64 bit, faster graphics, KitKat android OS, and whatever is new at the time.

Tbd Note 3 will probably take that long, if ever, to become issue free. The Galaxy S2 never did achieve issue free status. I hope the Note 3 doesn't take that path.

It wasn't easy to return the Note 3. The bright screen grabs ya. But after having the Note 2, I know what to expect in a quality Note phone, and the 3 just doesn't cut the grade right now. Just a humble opinion from someone who tinkers on the latest technology as a hobby.

John

Journeyman

Yup, that Note 3 screen does grab you!!!

But thanks for your input about the 2, my friends that have it are happy as well, so I think that seals the deal for me.  I, too, am concerned that the "fix" won't really fix the issues and I don't want to be stuck with a dud.  On the upside, there are more variety of cases available for the 2, as well!!!

Take care, thanks again, and good luck to all who keep their 3 and take the chance, I hope that it turns out well for you all!!

~Julie

Wizard

@VIPNoMore

Yes, the blue line indicates to the reader that that post is another post by the original poster of the thread.

As for the Note 3 and the triband issue...

Yes I too was a bit miffed that it was not a triband phone especially when you consider that most customers get a new device and just do a 2 year contract rather than the new One up Plan that allows them to do one year upgrade. By staying on a regular 2 year contract, the areas (at least near me) will be upgraded to 800 LTE before the 2 year contract and thus make me have a phone that can't utilize the upgraded sites. It was the reason why I was going to stay with the Note 2 until next year. But with the One up plan allowing me to upgrade yearly, I am planning on getting the Note 3 since to me it surpasses the Note 2 (at least in the areas that matter most to me) and I can upgrade to the Note 4 which will be tri-band.

Some are saying that it is not as fast or as battery saving as the Note 2, but as always one has 2 weeks to try it out and I will. But since I usually am plugging the phone in at every chance I get, battery life will not be a problem for me (if indeed it is less than the Note 2)

As for the snap crackle and pop issue, due to NDA all I can say is that Sprint and Samsung are actively getting a fix for this snap crackle and pop issue on the Note 3. When it will be deployed is anyones guess at the moment.

Wizard

Hi Julie...

One other benefit (for you in particular) regarding the Note 2 over the Note 3p, the Note 2 will be completely compatible with your Friend's phones. That means calendar and SNote  files will be transferable between phones, if you import such things.

Good luck!

John

Wizard

Hi VipNoMore...

There's one thing very important when considering that One Up program... if you are getting any discounts, they will no longer apply toward the main account holder among (primary line and all its costs), but reverts to only covering a percentage of the DATA only. That's a big hit for people with an expensive/involved plan who rely on that monthly discount from one of Sprint's allowed programs (like if you work at certain hospitals, etc). That effectively makes the OneUp program more like a ThreeDown, Two Across program. You loose discount benefits.

Just a bit of a heads up for those considering their ONEUp program.

John

Journeyman

Another good point...it seems so ridiculous that these two phones don't "play" well...that would seem like a no-brainer.  Same brand, same line, doesn't make sense.

Seems like I must go to the Note 2, i am sure I will like it.  I will miss a few things about the three, though.  Love the heavy duty and fast charging plug, bright screen, 32 gb...

Wizard

I have the 32 gig Note 2 with a 64 gig SD card. I can't imagine the 32gig Note 2 being that expensive now that the Note 3 is out. Amazon and EBay might score you a good deal. Good luck.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat