cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

Highlighted
Wizard

Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

Product: Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 White 32 Gigabyte Smartphone

Problem:

Receiving voice quality on a connected call is garbled with intermittent popping and frequency morphing.

Conditions: During connected call and hears through speakerphone, or headphones, or earpiece speaker.

Not present on music, video nor recording playback. Only occurs during a connected call.  Receiving party hears me clearly on their end.

Steps taken:

Called Samsung. "It's a hardware issue. Return phone or send that one in for repairs".  Called Sprint: "All our towers are up and functioning in your area".

Actions:

Returned first phone within one day of purchase. Repurchased Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (White). Same issue. Received call voice quality verified by Samsung rep at Best Buy. Exchanged phone #2.  Phone #3 exhibits the same poor call receive voice.  Three new phones. Same call quality.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thank you.

1,016 REPLIES 1,016
Highlighted
Wizard

Hi IluvSteinway!

Sorry to hear that you're in the same boat as many of us regarding the Galaxy Note 3.

I don't think you can set the phone to specifically only roam (if that's what your message implied). You can, however, turn off roaming. Sprint has a roaming limit of 300mb (Data) as well as a limitation on voice roaming limits.  If we go over this limit, a letter of intent to drop your service for that line if I overlimits continue is automatically generated.

How's your phone working now?

Both SPRINT And Samsung have affirmed that there is NO update currently in the works like Verizon people received. But communication between entities within the stated corporations is very poor and not trustworthy.

Take care

John

Highlighted
Wizard

This just in...

A Sprint representative affirmed that the Galaxy Note 3 is a dual band phone.  It is capable of 1900 and 800 band frequencies. Thus, per this representative, the Galaxy Note 3 will be capable of the newly powered (morely powered) 800 frequency modulation of the SPARK network. (Shocked?)

This is per his data sheet on the Note 3.

The Spark Network is supposed to extend and increase network capability in many situations, one being a better data connection for those further away from towers.

Another interesting Revelation:

The tower I get my service from is a 3G tower.  It has not been upgraded even to 4G yet.

I wonder if those having problems with their Note 3 are also using a 3G non-upgraded tower.  If course there are the exceptions to this theory: the couple who bought phones at the same time and place, one having poor call qualit and the other not.  And of course, Texas.

Anyone experiencing problems care to call Sprint [hit *2 on your dial pad] and see if the tower(s) they are likely accessing are relaying 3G only? Of course, you may get varied info depending on your Sprint operator.

Merry Christmas

John

PS: Is anyone else getting their Data connection interrupted by a "cannot find a mobile [meaning wireless] connection"? I've got everything turned off that might cause it. 

Plus,  I've turned off that worthless "Lumen" app, but everytime i restart the phone, it's back. Anyone with this issue as well? Thank you.

Highlighted
Wizard

A few more things...

The Sprint rep read to me the Sprint fact sheet regarding what the MJ4 update did for the Note 3 issues.  It reads like a sales pitch fora fancy resort. I explained that the propaganda Sprint is adhering to regarding the MJ4 update is contrary to actual experiences for many of us. He also looked at this site and acknowledged that there is indeed a continued problem with voice quality post MJ4 update and newly created side issues.

He will be forwarding that info to the appropriate party.  He acknowledged that Sprint considers the call quality matter resolved with the MJ4 update.

In my personal continuing saga, I activated phone #7 which has the MI3 software to see if my Data signal improved to that of the phone 8's horrible Data connectivity (MJ4 update). There is definitely a stronger signal with the MI3 pre-MJ4 software update.

John

Highlighted
Journeyman

merry christmas, john (and to everyone!)

yes, i applied the 13k vocoder settings after the MJ4 update (there is a noticeable improvement, in my experience)

i am using nova launcher (phone not rooted)

i have experienced every one of your phone complaints/issues, except for the lumen app problem (which i have also disabled)

i am not bothered by the diminished signal bars since they're not accurate anyway....so long as i can make phone calls/data connections

(it also helps if you put the phone into airplane mode,

so the phone can switch back to 4G from 3G)

i can stream netflix without issues so long as it registers 4G (one signal bar or two)

" The original question is whether the Note 3 supports dual-band LTE. The @sprintcare rep SJL said twice that it is. Rep AJV replied to another question in the thread that the reason the FCC lists it as only having 1900 MHz LTE is because Sprint currently doesn't offer 800 MHz LTE. So these two reps are indicating that the Note3 can do 800 and 1900, but since only one is currently available, that's the only one currently listed on the box and specs. The customer service reps aren't always in sync from what I've seen though, so I don't know. All I can say is that I can see the reasoning here -- that the phone can do 800, but it's not available, so it's not listed. *shrug* "

Highlighted
Wizard

Thank you Diapholom!

Merry Christmas to you too (and all).

Samsung has a habit remaining in denial regarding product hardware and/or software defects in their products.  Right now, well known security companies have found a critical hole in the Galaxy S4 Knox software security program (which means it probably affects Galaxy Note 3 phones as well.

Check it out here:

Article: Researchers report security vulnerability in Samsung's Galaxy S 4

Researchers report security vulnerability in Samsung's Galaxy S 4

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-samsung-knox-vulnerability-security-20131224,0,2...

Highlighted
Wizard

Thank you Diapholom!

Merry Christmas to you too (and all).

Samsung has a habit remaining in denial regarding product hardware and/or software defects in their products.  Right now, well known security companies have found a critical hole in the Galaxy S4 Knox software security program (which means it probably affects Galaxy Note 3 phones as well.

Check it out here:

Article: Researchers report security vulnerability in Samsung's Galaxy S 4

Researchers report security vulnerability in Samsung's Galaxy S 4

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-samsung-knox-vulnerability-security-20131224,0,2...

Highlighted
Wizard

Well...

Note 3 #8 is the worst of the bunch. Using the MJ4 update, my voice call quality is much worse. Not only is there a constant underlying hiss and cutting out when I hear the other party (as well as something I've not experienced before: dropped calls), the calling parties say that my voice is so broken up that they can't understand me. Celllular receptivity on this particular device is worse than all the others. Unfortunately, my wifi update to MJ4 before I could disable it, so I can't compare it to the MI3 software as I did my last phone.

Phone #7 had the MI3 software (I disabled updating). Although there were periods of garbled morphing and squelched popping, the call was clear to the other party and my end was crystal clear in between the snap, crackle and pop.

Amazon has agreed to replace the phone. (Yes, phone #9 is en route!)

I will ensure the phone DOES NOT UPDATE TO MJ4. Although Sprint and Samsung advertise that the MJ4 corrected the Note 3 call quality issue (and they have no acknowledgement otherwise), MJ4 is a trade off between two poor voice quality situations: MI3's snap, crackle and pop with frequency modulations, or MJ4's consistent muffled, static, broken words, underlying hiss, worse and erratic signal strength with a fluctuating signal bar indicator and lessened data connectivity.

I wouldn't call the MJ4 update a "fix". I'd call it a political maneuver in the first month of release to advertise they "fixed" something (i.e., more sales).

Just ma personal opinion. I've closely fiddled with 8 Galaxy Note 3's, but whatta I know?

Are any of you experiencing similar situations with the MJ4 "update?"?

Take care. John

PS:

If you've received email notification that this message hasbeen posted, and you want to reply to this email notification or any email notification that new messages are posted (when using the Note 3), follow this process:

First, tap on the "reply to this message" link below. This will get you to the forums, but unfortunately at the top of the rather long conversation. You'll have to log in anyway to reply. You'll also automatically be in mobile mode.

Tap the right upper "Log In" tab.

After you log in, you're still at the beginning of this massive forum. Don't hit the back key. Rather, hold down the home key (middle phone button) and tap on your email program. You should still be within the same email that displays this message.

Tap on the "Reply to this message" link below once again. This will send you to the top of the mobile formatted forum (again), but this time you're logged in.

Tap on the phone's Menu button (the touch button to the left of the physical home button). Checkmark the box that states "Desktop View". This SHOULD start to load the page that this message is on [our any other message you wanted to reply to via email notification].

Note: This process is "at your own risk".

It works for me. There may be other ways, but it's the only one I found. Your experiences will be heightened if someone you care about shares the misery of this lengthy (and rediculous) necessary procedure.

Caution: Remove your shoes and dentures and evacuate your bladder before attempting this at home.

John

Highlighted
Wizard

My feelings? I feel that a picture can sometimes relay 1000 words. Below is my depiction of Sprint's current customer relationship regarding our voiced Note 3 call quality issues:

da68d4673d64f6f6954158d64cebf13792276a93.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ultimately though, the buck stops with Samsung

Samsung is supposed to deliver working phone models compatible with a designated network....it's a contract

Meaning, the note 3 is supposed to work worry-free just like the note 2.....on the Sprint network

Unless it's the bloatware (or other modifications) Sprint requires Samsung to make compatible with note 3 hardware (or software).....that are causing all these problems

the solution is really as simple as testing a note 3 (with the known issues) previously returned by a customer, and fixing several of these faulty samples with the same software update

But corporate-types are as dense as they come

"Sprintcare" is just a lowly cog in the Sprint wheel

Highlighted
Journeyman

If Sprint & Samsung really cared enough to fix these problems, they should have collected all 8 Note 3s of John's ....and re-tested them (while, at the same time, making close phone contact with John) so John can better describe the issues

but corporate propellerheads can't be told how things should be done, unless you're Toyota

Highlighted
Wizard

Hi Diapholom...

Odd you should mention Sprint's boatware as a potential issue if it is indeed the carrier rather than the usual manufacturer's responsibility.

One of Samsung's technical advisors advised me to send in my phone to have them update it.  I explained that I've had multiple New phones so "making the phone to new specs" wasn't going to help since there's not much better you can do for a problem than to get a new phone (let alone a refurbished phone).

This is when the technician gave me a long dissertation about how Sprint's add on programs could be conflicting with Samsung's delivered/functioning phone.

I didn't buy the buck passing because Sprint is blaming Samsung in saying it's a hardware issue and Samsung is blaming Sprint in stating it's a network/bloatware issue.  They did this with the S2 as well.

Anyway, I feel that both are equally involved because both financially benefit from the sale of the phone.  Thus, both have a legal and financial vested interest in the delivered product prior to consumer possession.

I my opinion, both should address the issue.  This also creates cohesive teamwork to do what really should be done. 

The Note 4 will be available before the Note 3's issues are resolved, just as it was with the Galaxy S3 fixing all the unresolved issues if the S2.

Just ma two cents.

Take care,  and happy new year.

John

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have posted  before on this subject, and I am going to say it again...I think the majority of N3 users are NOT having any issues being described here. I am not having them and got my phone 12/1. I have looked at other sites that also have blogs on the N3 and it isn't a topic of discussion. I am sorry this is happening and I am guessing this is an aberration for some users...does make me wonder if it it area specific based on what I am reading here now. This John guy has had what 8 phones all with the same problem? That would imply that they are all defective and if that was truly the case this would be newsworthy yes? I wonder if this is a tower issue, and wonder if John has tried taking his phone out of his calling area and updating the prl?

I wish for those having the issue there was a solution that is easily identified and applied.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat