cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

Highlighted
Wizard

Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

Product: Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 White 32 Gigabyte Smartphone

Problem:

Receiving voice quality on a connected call is garbled with intermittent popping and frequency morphing.

Conditions: During connected call and hears through speakerphone, or headphones, or earpiece speaker.

Not present on music, video nor recording playback. Only occurs during a connected call.  Receiving party hears me clearly on their end.

Steps taken:

Called Samsung. "It's a hardware issue. Return phone or send that one in for repairs".  Called Sprint: "All our towers are up and functioning in your area".

Actions:

Returned first phone within one day of purchase. Repurchased Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (White). Same issue. Received call voice quality verified by Samsung rep at Best Buy. Exchanged phone #2.  Phone #3 exhibits the same poor call receive voice.  Three new phones. Same call quality.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thank you.

1,016 REPLIES 1,016
Highlighted
Wizard

Hi Englishguy!

How are you?

I've always believed that everyone has a right to their opinion. That includes you.  I've also always believed that one cannot teach I they cannot learn.  I do like to step back and "examine myself" if there's an incongruence between how I'd like to be, and how I am.

Granted, the pictures are probably unnecessary. I'm doing it more in fun to present an actuality than in resentment for services rendered. The problem (to your credit) is that the laugh is at the expense of someone else (or the entity thereof). It's more like a satire of Sprint than a lynching of their entity.

For instance, it is a fact that I have repeatedly bought "4G" advertised phones from Sprint throughout the years all on the promise that their 4G service will be available "soon". The fact that i still don't have 4G service, and that they are advertising yet another [Spark] Network before the previously advertised 4G network has reached me, is indeed something that is truly noteworthy.

Couple this with personal experiences regarding Samsung and Sprint and also being told I'll be canceled I continued to stream Netflix with my unlimited data plan, and you get a broader picture of the facts that my satire seeks to relay.

Now, I know that you don't believe that the Note 3 poor voice call quality is widespread.  I can appreciate that. You own your own feelings and you have every right to them.

You may also be right that the issue is regional and network in origin.

I just happen to disagree [in part] due to an accumulation of facts.  Those facts being:

1. Sprint subscribers from New York to LA have posted their voice call quality issues. Thus, if regional (and it might be), it's affecting regions throughout the nation. This tells me that it's widespread, even if regional.

2. Sprint and Samsung have already acknowledged that the Note 3 call quality has affected subscribers on a large scale.  One Sprint technician read to me a notice that all Sprint Note 3 subscribers were experiencing call quality issues. [We know that statement wasn't exactly accurate: your blessed situation is case and point]. Likewise, Samsung read a pre-MJ4 update response to me similar to what Sprint relayed.

3. The very PUSH of an MJ4 software update that was specific to address Note 3 voice call quality (and a handwriting bug) substantiates the understanding that the issue wasn't isolated.

4. Two people (a married couple), walk into a store and buy the Note 3. The husband's phone had no reported issues.  The wife's phone had the issues posted here. This, coupled with the fact that calls are clear when ROAMING off the Sprint Network, point to the hardware. I personally went through 8 phones until the 9th unit produced acceptable voice and data capability, which would take the "network" completely, if the fact did not remain that call quality is still poor overall.

This is, of course, a short version of the identified issues. The there's the acknowledgement of Sprint and Samsung that Verizon was also affected. This was substantiated by Verizon subscribers posting their like issues here on this and other forums.

But all things considered, I do believe the issues to be both widespread and illusive as to the cause.

Just my personal opinion and observation, which seems to be shared by others.

I wish you the very best with your phone.

Take care.

John

Highlighted
Wizard

How Sprint supports the mindset that the Spark Network will be available either before,  during,  or after 4G is available in your area.

e0a13ce5a511480bae434399e5ba388ecc59d1cc.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

both the HTC One Max and Nokia Lumia 1520 (6-inch screen) have micro-sd card slots

http://www.phonedog.com/2013/12/28/nokia-lumia-1520-now-available-from-amazon-for-49-99/

Samsung Note 3 product  delisted for cheating

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7547/futuremark-begins-delisting-cheating-mobile-devices-from-3dmark-d...

Highlighted
Journeyman
Highlighted
Journeyman

"But all things considered, I do believe the issues to be both widespread and illusive as to the cause"

you mean "elusive" as to the cause

dark energy.jpg

Highlighted
Wizard

Well I have to say that phone number 9 is exceptional. I cannot believe the difference between this phone and the prior 8 phones. This phone is a world apart from those other phones. It has a consistent and strong data connection as well as a consistent and reliable signal strength. Everything on this phone seems to work better than the other phones. I am please what's phone number 19.

I am still trying to figure out how to get it to help me do the dishes, because I feel that this particular phone including the kitchen sink. Thank you and take care, John.

Highlighted
Journeyman

John,

Where did you purchase your phone from?  I just bought one from Amazon and mine is a champ!

Did all of your phones get replaced with brand new units?

Thanks,

Chris

Highlighted
Wizard

Hi Chemist!

The First 3 phones were purchased at two different Best Buy's. This was close to the initial release of the phone. Two were pre-MJ4 updates. One was updated to MJ4.

The remaining phones came from Amazon throughout the months, the latest (and best) coming from Amazon on Dec 27th. It still continues to have good data and voice signal strength. The voice quality differs in that I can hear the person's complete uninterrupted call and they can hear me clearly. There is still an underlying hiss/static when they speak,  but only when they speak.

The possible difference with this phone #9 is that either the MJ4 update is so small that it updated prior to my ability to intercept the update (which was my original intention), or the update was already present on the phone.  I was as quick as one is able to attempt to interrupt the update, and never saw the updating software icon; yet to my surprise, there it was.  [I was able to intercept phone 7's MJ4 update].

Thank's for asking...

It's nice to be able to post here and have strong shoulders of empathetic support.

John

80794e3947127319a305659d835a2167dfbe1e36.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

If it was widespread Apple and others would be all over this "News". I saw a post here from Sprint stating it is a "TOWER" issue in some areas after I posted that is what I suspect. The only aberration here is the husband wife with a good phone and a bad one. That could be one BAD phone and nothing more.

To the clown from XDA, get a life. Over 10 million have been sold and what number do you think are defective? The returns would be HUGE if this was as big as you think it is. Wishing ill will on a family? Really...what do you also work for Msnbc too?

I would not have stuck with a defective phone, period, gone. I have been with sprint for over 14 years and not a bad phone once from either HTC, Sanyo, or Samsung. I have had issues with "towers" and recently last year during the upgrade and it sounds like that is what is happening to some N3 users, and it could also be other brands of phones too if it is a tower issue. There were some major changes to the phone in the N3 and possibly more sensitive to the network in some areas.

So unless they make the phones in more than one location and defective ones are coming from one factory over another it isn't the phone, or they would all suffer the same fate. I am not mocking those of you with phone problems, but being logical about this can only tell me that it is NOT the phone but the cell towers. You will note that areas that are going through upgrades are experiencing call drops, low data speeds, and STATIC. The very things those few that are posting are complaining about. I had those problems with my N2 before the tower upgrades were completed.

That's right, the few of you. The same posters over and over again.

This is a CDMA issue and Verizon is experiencing the same problem by the way. But again NOT all phones or a small sampling of them are doing this. There might be a transmitter (in a tower) that specifically causes this problem with the radio in these new phones.

I hope this gets fixed no matter what the issue really is, nothing can be more frustrating, especially if like me you no longer have a landline in the house.

Highlighted
Journeyman

John,

Thanks for your reply. 

Maybe the last batch from Amazon is a really good batch?  I received and activated mine from Amazon on December 31.  I was also going to intercept any update that may have tried to install, but I didn't see any - maybe it was too fast.  Anyway mine is MJ4 as well.  Either the phone came with that version or it snuck by me.

The sound quality is so good that it sounds like a landline.

I bought this phone because my LG G2 had so many issues.  I took a step backward going from a TRI BAND device to a single band (1900 MHz) device, but I'm glad I did.  I am in a very strong Shentel Sprint area so the signal is excellent everywhere, even inside buildings.  The G2 was just awful at holding an LTE signal.  There was also a weak GPS, horrible sound quality, and the list goes on.

I'm very happy with the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3. 

Chris

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

I am the wife of the husband and wife team that has had the issue with the phone.  I have swapped my phone out and I continue to have the same issues.  This would suggest to me that it is a hardware issue.  Today I have spoken to Sprint and Samsung and they have both acknowledged that our problem is an issue with the phones and not the network. Sprint has given me a credit on my account and have asked that I return the phone again and get another one.  I have seen on other forums like android central, individuals that have gotten their phones as recently as December 2013 and are experiencing dropped calls.  It seems that most people are "ignorant" of the widespread issue because many of the responses that people were getting in these different forums were that it is a network issue.  The problem I believe is that NOT everyone is reporting it believing that it is something that will either self correct or that it is an isolated incident.

Highlighted
Master

ZDW, 

Thank you for posting and for providing your feedback in regards to this situation. Have you had a chance to replace your device again? If so, does your new replacement device exhibit the same issues? Please let us know. Thank you. 

Charles G. 

Sprint Social Care Team 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat