cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

Highlighted
Wizard

Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

Product: Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 White 32 Gigabyte Smartphone

Problem:

Receiving voice quality on a connected call is garbled with intermittent popping and frequency morphing.

Conditions: During connected call and hears through speakerphone, or headphones, or earpiece speaker.

Not present on music, video nor recording playback. Only occurs during a connected call.  Receiving party hears me clearly on their end.

Steps taken:

Called Samsung. "It's a hardware issue. Return phone or send that one in for repairs".  Called Sprint: "All our towers are up and functioning in your area".

Actions:

Returned first phone within one day of purchase. Repurchased Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (White). Same issue. Received call voice quality verified by Samsung rep at Best Buy. Exchanged phone #2.  Phone #3 exhibits the same poor call receive voice.  Three new phones. Same call quality.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thank you.

1,016 REPLIES 1,016
Highlighted
Wizard

Hi Julie!

RE: Somebody mentioned in an earlier post (John?) that Sprint Care does this (pipes in) on a somewhat regular basis on this forum, just so that they can "show" that they are diligently attempting to help us with our issue(s)

This is a required procedure.  That's why you'll see the well intentioned rep pipe/pop (crackle) in and answer the last few messages without any knowledge of the history of the forum nor that individual's plight.  Shannon was involved and knew the history,  and they pulled her elsewhere.

I knew what i was getting into after passing the first 14 day period.  I feel for those who either don't, or are waiting for a promised later fix.

THE MJ4 UPDATE DID NOT FIX ONGOING GALAXY NOTE 3 ISSUES WITH CALL QUALITY.

It's the Galaxy S2 quality control and problem identification with perpetual repeated "do this" suggestions by Sprint.

The Galaxy S5 is due to release really.  The Note 4 won't be far behind. It's a total waste for anyone experiencing the current loop of problems to remain in the Note 3 camp. Wait for the Note 4 at this point.

2014-01-29-12-22-50.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

ok had some things happen in the last couple hours, now i am really confused!

ok for some reason our numbers got blacklisted on the airave and talked to sprint tier 3 about the airave not connecting and they seen both our numbers where not in a black list but they wasnt in the white list, (must have happened somehow when we switch phones. but anyway sprint had us do a profile update in which downloaded the prl's again and still didnt work then i remembered seeing 4g come on with the reboot so i changed it to cdma only and BAM both phones connected to the airave and got a prl of 55017 now both phones are working flawlessly! crystal clear sound no dropping of phone calls or anything. could it have been as simple as our phones not being on the airave whitelist and maybe the prl not downloading correctly because of the airave issues? and now that everything is working flawlessly should i still be worried about future problems? i know it is working great now and we are as happy as ummm well you know what. but now that i seen the problems bear themselves we are scared they might return!.

we are just hopeing that everything is fine now and it was just because important stuff never actuallt got configured correct during the initial setup.

\

any input is appreciated.

for info!

we left home and went for a drive and made a few calls away from airave and it is working flawless now. we even changed it to 4g and after reboot we got nice solid 4g signal and crystal clear phone calls. of course it sucks that we have to switch back and forth between cdma only and 4g when we leave home (if we want 4g data when not at home)  but that i can deal with. in fact that is something might even see sprint fix down the road, who knows?

Highlighted
Master

VIPNoMore,

Thanks for posting. I do understand where you coming from. Your interaction with us should always be fruitful.  Have you had the device looked at by a repair technician? Also have you noticied the issue in specific earea?

Thank you,

*Paida

Highlighted
Wizard

Hi Paida

Regarding your message to VIPNOMORE (Julie):

Have you had the device looked at by a repair technician? Also have you noticed the issue in specific area?

[I corrected the spelling for you]

I believe Julie has given an in depth description of what she has done in prior messages here in this forum.

I think that Sprint support might be more "fruitful" if you pass along to other Sprint reps trolling the Sprint Forums to actually do a message base search on whomever they are "supporting" so a history on their issue can be obtained.

Sprint reps popping in just to answer the latest posts without any knowledge or history only ask the same repeated questions that have already repeatedly been asked.  It helps none and only increases an already frustrating issue.

Can you please pass this request on to your supervisor? Otherwise Sprint remains outta touch and unfruitful: the very thing Julie was pointing out (and you proved correct in your response).

Sprint needs to get connected. Literally.

Thank you.

131097.image0.jpeg

John

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you, John, for representing me!  Much appreciated!  You said everything I would have.  When I saw the Sprint Care post by "Paida," I had to laugh a little.  They do help illustrate our point, don't they??

Paida...YES, I have been to a Sprint store on several occasions since purchasing my Note 3 on October 10, 2013.  The techs have been unable to do anything that changes the call quality.  Thanks for asking.

And, YES, I experience the problem in all areas that I have used the phone: throughout Orange County, California, while traveling up I-5 to No. Calif., and throughout the San Francisco Bay area.  No changes in call quality...UNLESS I am lucky enough to catch a ROAMING call signal from another carrier's tower, such as when I was in the San Bernardino mountains.  When I am roaming, the signal is strong and call quality is crystal clear.

This is, at least, the 4th or 5th time that I have explained this on this forum.  As have others repeatedly described their issues with the Note 3, and what we have all tried thus far.

Yes, Paida, it would be nice if our interactions with Sprint reps were fruitful.  Alas, this is not the case.  Asking redundant questions which require us to repeat ourselves, repeatedly, only serves to irritate and anger us.  Those of us on this forum have been inexplicably patient, for the most part, and loyal to Sprint.  We keep believing that there will be a satisfactory resolution.  But Sprint just keeps stringing us along.  I believe that you reps know exactly what you are doing when you ask these questions, over and over.  Anybody with a good brain in their head would have a clue that when they are responding to post #980 plus on a forum that has been active for nearly four months, that the people on the forum have been trying all possible resolutions, most especially the obvious ones, which we all probably had tried by the 2nd week of owning our devices.  Usually, when people get a resolution, they stop following a forum such as this (except for diehards, like my dear John) and move on with their lives.  So, let's just assume that most of us here are still unsatisfied, okay?  Let's also assume that we have all been in contact with Sprint reps by phone multiple times, provided our cross streets and other info in a private message, had the towers in our area "checked", visited multiple Sprint stores, multiple times, and had multiple technicians "look" (dumbfoundedly) at our Note 3s.  We have also tried changed vocoder settings, switching to cdma only, and hung upside down from the monkey bars at the nearest park in order to try and get clear call sounds on our device.  Many have tried the multiple exchanging/returning, rebooting, resetting, etc.  So, thanks for asking.

Those of you on this forum...you all are the best support and help by far.  Keep sharing your experiences, it is appreciated.

That's all for now, ~Julie

Journeyman

By the way...anyone else agree that this forum is a pain in the you-know-what to access.  Near to impossible from my phone, so I have to use my laptop, log on, go to end...blah, blah...if I take to long to write my post, I get logged off, risk of losing all that I have typed (I have learned to copy frquntly while typing).  Also, I cannot get anything from this forum to print, so that I can show it to someone at a Sprint store. Ii cannot even copy and paste the text into a Word doc. Only way I can view the forum posts or share them is to log on to the Sprint site. Not sure if this is a forum feature (block us from copying, printing, saving this info) or if it my new laptop...anyone???  I assume that this is a tactic by Sprint to keep complete control of this forum, so that they can delete and make something disappear, if needed.  Protect themselves from litigation, etc.  Of course, I do have the posts saved in my e-mail.  But, still.

~Julie

Highlighted
Journeyman

julie,

you can also try taking screenshots of the forum posts from your note 3 - 3 ways to do it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js9KHetQKpc

you can also do copy, cut & paste on this forum from the note 3......just press your finger long enough on the text, then options will appear

Highlighted
Master

mpmp1,

Thanks for the post. Can you provide us an update? Are you still having stability issues?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Update:

I sent the phone into Samsung (this was my 5th phone).  They repaired it in one day-received today and shipped out today.  The repair report says:  No PCS service/Component replaced.  When I looked online another customer was having problems with the antenna in the Samsung tablet and their repair order said: No PCS service component replaced.  I hoping that this means that there was something going on with the antenna and they actually fixed it.  I will let everyone knows what happen when I receive the phone in 2 business days!  Keeping fingers crossed.  The turnaround time actually wasn't that bad at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My service hasn't gotten any better.  I still drop calls pretty much everyday.  I haven't made it into Sprint because I don't want a new phone that does the same thing.  I don't really feel its a problem with the phone since it just started happening in December.  I just stopped complaining because all Sprint likes to do is ask what my zip codes are that I am experiencing this problem.  I can't give you just one, because it is pretty much happening everywhere in Omaha, Nebraska.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

So, I just received my phone back and it is STILL dropping calls-actually worse than it was before.  I am currently on hold with Samsung to try and find out exactly what they did.  It is definitely phone related.  As I again tested my husband's phone and some of the other phones in the house and they are making and receiving calls fine with no drops at all.  I am completely frustrated at this point.  I will update after I get off the phone with Samsung.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

So now Samsung wants me to send the phone back in for repair. This I guess is my only option unless I want to keep swapping phones out through Sprint.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat