cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

Yes, each new phone received the Samsung update.

That update was basically to address the Watch capabilities as well as something to do with performance testing software interactions. It's not always easy to find out exactly what the updates do, but I read about that update specifically in hopes it had something to do with voice quality. No such luck.

Thanks. John

Highlighted
Wizard

Sprint's customer service number: The Sprint store has the same "3 day" no activation/upgrade fee grace period and 14 day "keep your upgrade status" return period.

Call Sprint Customer SERVICE at (888) 211-4727 and press 1 when prompted regarding whether you're calling from that phone line (if applicable). Then choose menu option 4, then menu option 5, then menu opt-in 6 to reach a live operator to affirm your cellular towers are functioning proudly.

You can actually press *2 on your dial pad, then scroll down to "Contract Sprint" to reach customer support.

Good luck.

John

Highlighted
Journeyman

JohnBBS,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Sprint has not gotten any word from Samsung as to these issues, but it is definitely sounding like a hardware/software issue.

You have provided all the information I would also provide in the post with your #'s 1-9 regarding our return/exchange policy.

I will continue to monitor this thread for any updates from anyone out there, and will certainly post on behalf of Sprint if I hear of any solutions.

Thank you all for continuing to keep us and others updated.

*Shannon

Social Care

Highlighted
Wizard

Thank you Shannon,

Samsung called me this morning, and I reiterated the issues surrounding the Sprint variant of the Note 3 listed here.  I also provided them with this website as a resource for their investigation into the matter. The Samsung representative I spoke to may or may not get this information to the appropriate Samsung support technical staff, and thus, whatever you can do on your end should benefit the Galaxy (pun) Note community at large.

Thank you for your assistance. This may be the tip of an iceberg if all Sprint Note 3 smartphones have this crippling voice quality issue.

I encourage everyone who has purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 smartphone and experiencing these issues (connected call receiving voice distortion, garbled, high pitched popping, frequency morphing, etc) to take the time and post your experience.

It might also be beneficial for someone who's purchased the Sprint variant of the Note 3 and not experiencing call voice distortion to relay the same.

Has anyone purchased a Sprint Note 3 and is not experiencing these issues?

Thank you.

John

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the post John.

Same issue in North New Jersey,  3 separate note 3 phones same problem.

Planning to return all 3 phones on friday.

Tried all audio settings, even with as far as to turn off all optional features which didn't have any effect.

Interesting note is call quality is perfect using Vonage phone app over wifi/3g through internal speaker , headset and speakerphone. Leads me to believe it's software problem.

Thanks

Andre

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks, John. Definitely having this issue with my new Sprint Note 3 in southern Indiana; I dropped my client five times within an hour long call today. Then, after getting disconnected in the middle of service calls with 2 different Samsung reps the third insisted that there were no issues reported with the Note 3 and a factory data reset would fix it. I'm on hours of calls every day and it's extremely frustrating to have work this massively interrupted because my only phone garbles the other party's speech and disconnects every 5-10 minutes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same thing here in Connecticut.

I have been told by my friends that I sound tinny and muffled.  I have dropped calls where I have never dropped them before.  The call quality I hear has the pops and modulation as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I called Samsung and after a while with the tech reps I was told that it must be a network issue so I will have to bring it up with Sprint.  They said since it only occurs on calls then it must be a network issue.  I asked if they were automatically eliminating any chance of a manufacturing or design problem and the Samsung rep told me this was the first she had heard of the issue. 

Called Sprint and went through all the things, restart, reset, update the MSID etc.  They finally said to bring the phone back and exchange at the Sprint store.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the exact same issue over here in La Mirada, CA

My Note 2 was perfect, but the 3 has terrible reception issues near and around my home area. I keep hearing distortion and popping on each call, but no dropped calls. Very annoying.

Highlighted
Wizard

Thank you all for sharing your personal experiences.  It is interesting how ones owner (Andre) experienced no voice signal corruption when using a third party app.

The issue is also widespread and not limited to either the black or white variant.

Sprint continues to state that the cell towers are not at fault, and since the locations affected are so widespread, it does look like an issue with phone hardware or software.

A bit of history regarding Samsung acknowledgement of phone issues: it probably won't happen, sad as that may be. 

The Samsung Galaxy "S II" had horrible 3G/Data reception. This was well documented on the WEB, yet with each call to Tech Support, Samsung denied ever hearing about the LOS/LOC (Loss of Service/Loss) bug, as it became known as.

I'm going to write those online Galaxy Note 3 reviewers and ask them "what gives" regarding their rave reviews of this phone, and challenge them to review the reality of the matter.

I'll give them this Sprint Community online resource for their investigating, and thus, please continue to post your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 voice call corruption issues.

Since my Note 2 had/has absolutely no call quality issues per se, and since it's using the same cell tower as the Note 3, things really do feasibly point to a hardware/software issue.

Usually, the Carrier will point to the manufacturer, and the manufacturer will point to the carrier. Thus, don't be surprised if you get the run around, nor if a factory reset nor exchange resolves the matter any time soon.

That's just been my personal experience and observation.

My personal recommendation is to just keep returning the phone within 12 days (to be certain their "count" isn't off) as long as they'll allow and/or until you get what you're shelling you're hard earned money out for: a fully functional and horrendously expensive piece of electronic equipment.

Please keep relaying your concerns. If nothing more, misery loves company.

Thank you.

John

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello to all experiencing these issues with the new Note 3.  I have reached out to some higher-ups here at Sprint who is looking closely into this matter.  We are now needing more detailed information.

If any of you having this issue could please PM me with the following:

Subject line:  Note 3 voice issues

Your name

Your phone number

Where you purchased the device (store name, and a city at least)

Date of purchase

If you've done an exchange, and if so, is this your second, third, etc device and have experienced the same issue on all (or not)

Any troubleshooting you've tried, and whether it has worked or not.

Thank you all for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

*Shannon

Social Care

Highlighted
Wizard

Thank you Shannon!

It is refreshing to "get somewhere" in this matter, and it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat