cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

Highlighted
Wizard

Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

Product: Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 White 32 Gigabyte Smartphone

Problem:

Receiving voice quality on a connected call is garbled with intermittent popping and frequency morphing.

Conditions: During connected call and hears through speakerphone, or headphones, or earpiece speaker.

Not present on music, video nor recording playback. Only occurs during a connected call.  Receiving party hears me clearly on their end.

Steps taken:

Called Samsung. "It's a hardware issue. Return phone or send that one in for repairs".  Called Sprint: "All our towers are up and functioning in your area".

Actions:

Returned first phone within one day of purchase. Repurchased Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (White). Same issue. Received call voice quality verified by Samsung rep at Best Buy. Exchanged phone #2.  Phone #3 exhibits the same poor call receive voice.  Three new phones. Same call quality.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thank you.

1,016 REPLIES 1,016
Highlighted
Master

John032060,

Thank you for your posts regarding the issues that you experienced with the Note 3 and your willingness to work with other members of the community on the issues that they were having.  We wanted to follow up and see if your Note 3 had gotten the 4.4 Kitkat upgrade yet.  If so, we wanted to get your feedback and see if you feel it addresses any previous issues that you experienced.  Please let us know your feedback, thank you.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

Highlighted
Master

THEENGLISHGUY,

Thank you for your posts regarding your experience with the Note 3.  We see that your reviews on the forum were generally favorable and we wanted to know if your device got the new Kitkat update and if so, are you happy with the functionality of the new operating software on your N3?  We appreciate any feedback that you offer and look forward to any questions or concerns that you may have.  Thank you.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same issue as well and this is my second phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I purchased a the galaxy note 3 from sprint and I'm having the same trouble. This is my 2nd phone as well. And I'm in Fort Worth, TX.

Highlighted
Master

VIPNoMore

It has been sometime since your last post. I wanted to follow up with you to see if you are still experiencing the same service interruptions. Have you noticed any improvements in service quality? Please let us know if you are still in need of assistance.

Omar

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Master

Ruedawg92

It has been a while since you posted last. I wanted to follow up with you in order to see if your service has improved. Are you still having the same service interruptions?

Omar

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Master

ZDW

Thanks for keeping us updated. Are you still experiencing these issues? Did you send it back to samsung? Let us know; We are here for you.

Josmary

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Master

Winston_mafia,

Thanks for your post. Have you received the 4.4 update for the device as of yet? Do you notice the voice issues everywhere you go?

Andrew B.

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Master

diapholom,

Hey, I'm just following up to see if there is anything you still need assistance with or have a question about. Please let us know, we are here to help.

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Day #2:

Still no dropped calls as of yet.  It seems that the components that Samsung replaced resolved the issue.  My calls are also clear with no distortion.  I have been placing calls from the area in which I have been dropping calls the most and so far no dropped calls. Everyone I will continue to keep you updated, but it seems like this may be the route to go if you actually want your phone fixed.  Sprint has demonstrated that they are either not capable of fixing the problem or just don’t care.  I think that is a shame that they have been able to help very little and on top of that the credits that they have been given to individuals especially those that have been dealing with this problem for months is ridiculous.  It’s just another example of how they obviously don’t care about their customers.  Anyway, as soon as I can I will be switching companies just because I don’t feel that I should have had to go through all of this with practically non-existent support from Sprint.  Again, I will keep you all updated.

Highlighted
Journeyman

March 5, 2014

Dear Sprint,

Thanks, once again, for checking up on the status of my problem.  It’s been – what?  A month? Two months? (Since I last heard from Sprint.)   Your continued (non) efforts at reaching a solution to our collective problems with call quality on this forum is touching.  (Obviously, I am being facetious.)

I had the MJ4 update - no change.  Multiple resets, reboots, vocoder tweaks - no change.  i have been in to multiple Sprint stores, multiple times, and had the phone checked out by multiple tech reps - no change.  i have spent literally HOURS on the phone with Sprint, with no solutions.  About two months ago, I updated/changed my PRL (to 55017) as suggested to me by a Sprint rep (who seemed confident that this would solve the problem).  No difference.  I still have been extremely reluctant to get into the exchange/return craziness cycle, or to return my phone to Samsung for “repair”.  This is due to the unsuccessful ness of these options by the other brave (and patient) customers who have already done these things.  You (Sprint) or Samsung makes no guarantee that any of these solutions will be a true solution, so, NO, I am not willing to be inconvenienced further for nothing.

Yes, I did receive the recent upgrade to Kit Kat.  Great.  Whoop-di-doo.  I don’t notice any fantastic changes.  Some of the changes seemed pointless and I don’t really like, such as the changes to the voice-to-text feature, for example (it seems more like a change for changing sake, as opposed to an actual improvement, but that’s just my opinion). (You know, a customer’s opinion. What do we know?  Or matter?)  I’m sure there are other things that I have not noticed yet, but nothing awesome.   MAYBE, things are a bit faster.  Hard to be certain.  But, most notably, it made no difference in my call quality issues as I had hoped that it might.

Honestly, you have worn me down.  I am tired of complaining.  I am tired of posting to this forum.  I am tired of being angry and disappointed.  But, I do have a little flare up each time that it comes time to pay my bill.  I have just come to accept, more or less, the crappy call quality of this high end, top-of-the-line device on the Sprint network.  I suppose I am just getting used to it.  The phone does a lot of other things very well, but at the end of the day, it is a phone and should perform acceptably as such.  It is frustrating, after having several devices with great call quality and strong, reliable signal connection, to be thrown back into the cell phone call quality of the ‘90s when I used to have to go out and stand on the diving board and hope for a signal.  It is annoying and embarrassing to have the garbling and volume spikes, cutting out, and to have to ask people to repeat themselves.  “Can you hear me now?”

The Note 3 is a beautiful device.  The screen is bright, clear, and large and to me this is probably the best feature for this multi-purpose device.  The camera also takes great pictures, although, in my opinion, is not entirely user-friendly in respect to the varied features and options of the camera, and the photo organization sucks, in my opinion.  There are a multitude of features that work well, but, in my opinion, there are perhaps too much/too many things on this device.  Seems to me like Samsung is just in a big hurry to push out new phones crammed full of every feature possible, but without necessary quality assurance.  Apple is much better at quality checking their products before sending them out to the public, and making sure that all of their device’s features work well and reliably.  They do make mistakes, as well, but loyal Apple enthusiasts have high expectations of quality for the Apple products, AND most importantly, Apple listens to their customers and fixes problems ASAP.  They seem to have more pride in putting out a quality product and keeping their customers happy than Samsung.  Samsung seems to be interested in profits first and foremost, so this may be my last Samsung device.  I have not been able to use an iPhone in the past because the screen is just too small for me, and I was reluctant to learn a new OS (join the Apple “cult”), as I was familiar with the Android system.  I thought that an open platform was a good thing, but now I am thinking that it just means too many cooks in the kitchen and things are just getting messy in the Android world.

Apple keeps a tight rein on their OS, but this seems to assure that features work well together. Hmmm.  I may be trying an iPhone as my next phone if they do truly come out with a larger display.  If not Apple, then I will be going back to an HTC or LG.  And, unless Sprint can satisfactorily address my complaints, I may be going with a new carrier at the end of this contract, as the treatment of the Note 3 problem has soured my previously very positive opinion of Sprint. I think that I, and the others on this forum, have been more than patient and loyal to Sprint.  The handling of this problem has been subpar and Sprint does not make us feel valued.  Your (Sprint) repeated and repetitive (although far between) contact with those of us with the call quality issue seems disingenuous and placating.  You go in circles and ask us the same questions over and over.  We give you the same answers, which you ignore. It seems that you have no reliable solution for this problem, but are unwilling to admit such. And it seems that I am stuck with this device, and with Sprint, for the next year and a half or so.

I do use this device in many ways and to accomplish many things.  It is my web browser, my e-mail provider, my camera.  It could be a music player, movie screen, exercise tracker or book, if I choose to use these features.  I use text messaging at least as much, if not more than I make calls. For me, the device performs all of these tasks acceptably.   But, ultimately, this is a phone first and foremost.  Most people today use their cell phones as their main phone.  Many people, like me, do not even have a land line phone, and therefore rely on their cell phone for the purpose of making phone calls.  The Note 3 does not do this acceptably.

I think that I would be generously undervaluing the decreased functionality (in Sprint’s favor) if I were to say that the loss of use with the Note 3 (for those of us with the call quality issues) is approximately 25%.  Therefore, I feel that it would be VERY reasonable to suggest/to request/to demand that Sprint allow a 25% discount on monthly services for as long as we are all “stuck” with these malfunctioning phones (or to the end of our contracts, respectively).  If Sprint fixes the problem, or can provide us with devices that work correctly, then we pay full price.  But as long as we are bound in these contracts to use these “phones” then we should pay for what we are getting, and not pay for what we are not getting.

I cannot speak for everyone else here, but for me, this type of gesture by Sprint would go far in restoring my happiness with your company.  You cannot fix the phones, in fact it seems that you cannot even identify with any certainty what the issue is caused by, and yet you expect us to just suck it up, honor our contracts and pay our bills on time.  Sprint should be willing and eager to find another manner to satisfy your customers.  Many of us on this forum have been told repeatedly that this is NOT a widespread problem with the Note 3s and that we are just a small handful of unfortunate consumers (despite the fact that there are multiple threads regarding this problem on the Sprint forums, this particular thread has been going on since October 2013 and now has over 1,000 posts, there are similar forums over at Verizon, and on other Android sites, but I digress).  If that is so, then how much could it really cost Sprint to give us few unfortunates such a small concession (discounted bill)?  How much will it cost Sprint to lose us all at the end of our contracts (or sooner, for the truly impatient)?  And what about the bad “press”?  If this issue continues to be handled so ineffectively and unsatisfactorily, what will we all be telling our friends, family, and co-workers about our Sprint experience?  (And Samsung, for that matter.)

Regardless of which giant company is at fault for these defective phones, it is still my opinion that Sprint is the one that should address the concerns of their customers (and Verizon should handle theirs).  Stop passing the buck and telling US to contact Samsung.  That is YOUR job.  We are Sprint customers and we have contracts with Sprint.  Sprint should referee on our behalf with Samsung. In the meantime, I will be waiting and asking for my discounted bills…

Thanks for asking,

~Julie

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Well, I received a notice that my message was deleted by the moderator????  Seriously.

Day #2:

Still no dropped calls as of yet.  It seems that the components that Samsung replaced resolved the issue.  My calls are also clear with no distortion.  I have been placing calls from the area in which I have been dropping calls the most and so far no dropped calls. Everyone I will continue to keep you updated, but it seems like this may be the route to go if you actually want your phone fixed.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat