Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is the 1st NOTE 3 Review that discusses Sprint's Network

Journeyman

Here is the 1st NOTE 3 Review that discusses Sprint's Network

Taken from an android based website as they are discussing the battery life and what Sprint does to it.:

"So here's the thing about reviewing a Sprint phone: Sprint really sucks in, I don't know, 95% of the country. And as such, I was constantly flipping between 3G and LTE where I live, which pretty much wrecks the battery. Inside my house, I get spotty Sprint 3G, which also, you guessed it,wrecks the battery. Though apparently the Note 3 does have a nifty new Qualcomm radio power management tech, so perhaps the wreckage is less severe than it might have otherwise been. Anyway, thanks to Sprint, I've been on Wi-Fi most of the time. Here's what I've found.

With all of my various crap synced (2 Google accounts with all the trimmings, Twitter, FB / Messenger, Foursquare, Amazon / MP3, Play Music, Dropbox, Mint.com, RunKeeper, Yelp), I still felt very comfortable making it through an entire day on the Note 3. Not "there's no way I could possibly run down this battery" comfortable, mind you - if you go out on mobile data with the display cranked to max brightness (or on auto on a sunny day outside) and start taking a bunch of photos, holy moly does the battery drain fast. I was taking test shots with the screen at maximum brightness for about the last 30 minutes (20 photos, plus 2 surround shots), and the battery went from 61% to 42% in that time. Photo processing is a very CPU-intensive task (especially night photos and panoramas), and the display is the biggest potential source of battery drain on any device. Put them together, and the Note 3's strengths (brighter display, quicker processor) combine to chow down on the battery big time.

However, for generic tasks like checking email and social networks or web browsing not using Wi-Fi, I think with a decent LTE connection (so, not Sprint) I could probably get about 3-3.5 hours of screen-on time with the brightness on 85% or so. That means it's still a pretty big step away from, in my experience, the DROID MAXX, which consistently hit 4 hours on mobile data with the display cranked to 100% (granted, it's a dim screen). That puts the Note 3, for me, in the company of the LG G2, which in my opinion gets excellent battery life. The Note 3 has 0.5" more display, but also 200mAh more battery capacity than the G2, so it makes sense that they're comparable in this regard."

Gee, u think they should have made it triband?

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

And here's the KICKER

"Wireless performance on the Note 3 has been difficult to judge on Sprint's network. Considering my data connection regularly drops or hangs, the experience, for me, has been really awful. Every time I review a Sprint device, though, the experience is awful, so I really can't blame it on the phone. The few times I did have LTE coverage on Sprint didn't yield outstanding speeds, though latency was much better than on CDMA."

Journeyman

Here is THE KICKER.

#1 You must not anything about what they are doing with there network

#2 Since YOU DO NOT, you have no reason to even comment.

#3 It depends on where he did these tests, most areas are not done with NV 1.0 or LTE. It takes time depending on the company that's doing the work in his area. Samsung is doing it in my area and they are done here for now. I can tell you, it was worth the wait. I have 4G all around town and in my small town 20 miles away. From here to there, I don't lose 4G. I did a speed test earlier during hours when networks like Verizon and tmboile 4G is bogged to garbage. I know they probably still have to do some fine tuning since they just finished up most of the work and removed the old legacy equipment from every tower in town.

http://www.speedtest.net/android/580365145.png

Journeyman

Here's the thing, I DON'T know what Sprint is doing with their network, because there is no transparency. I was told when I first signed up with Sprint (2009) that 4G would be coming to my area "very soon". Almost five years later, not even an update as to when it will be available. By the way, I live in one of the most densely populated areas (and one of the highest income areas - not that that really matters) in the country, central New Jersey.

Sprint's service has been a joke since I have been a customer. I don't care what speedtests, wireless deployment plans, or anything else says. I have used my various handsets, and those of friends, and it isn't even close. Sprint is a DISTANT third (at best).

As many customers have recently pointed out - unlimited data doesn't really mean much if its so slow and undependable you are basically forced to use wifi. The justification some have used for the Note 3's absurd $350 price tag is, "well, the monthly costs are so low, its a wash." Absolutely ridiculous. My monthly bill is low because Sprint's service is simply not in the same league as Verizon or AT&T, and they would not be able to compete charging similar prices. I also remember the $10 "premium data" surcharge that was required when I purchased my EVO. It was assumed this was for 4G access. I have been paying that for many years now, and I have literally not connected a single Sprint handset, even once, to a 4G connection.

The $100 discount granted to new customers tells you everything you need to know: Sprint is focused on is luring as many people as possible with their "unlimited" data and inexpensive monthly plans, want to lock them into a 2-year contract, and begin the cycle of disappointment and frustration we have all been experiencing for quite some time.

I have defended Sprint time and time again, but no more. I am not paying a $50 premium to be locked into another two years of poor service. I am switching to Verizon, and will happily pay whatever my monthly increase is to have a fast, reliable network. Sorry, Dan, you had more than enough time to get this right.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat