Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Tri-Band Phone?

Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Tri-Band Phone?

Will the Note 3 work on all three of Sprint's LTE bands (800, 1900 & 2500)?  The LG G3 hasn't been released yet and it's already known this phone will be Sprint's first tri-band phone. I certainly hope Sprint will not consider releasing the Note 3 and not be capable of running on all three bands.

The link of the LG-G2 confirms tri-band phone while the link to the Note 3 does not. Or maybe it does, please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-G2_id7969

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-III_id7984

55 REPLIES 55
Wizard

Awesome post

Journeyman

I had to take my phone in for repair yesterday. Again they were trying to get me to upgrade. I told them I was still waiting to see the specs on the Note 3 before I upgraded. A Sprint CSR rep and a tech claimed to have recently played with the phone. I asked about tri-band and their responses to me let me know that they were absolutely clueless. The CSR said, "Tri-band? It's a world phone, so it an all phone...it's going to do everything!!" The tech said tri-band? It's quad-core, so it beats tri-band....man that phone is fast. You will believe it. Quad-core is faster than a tri-band."  I told the tech that he should quit his job because he clearly isn't tech savvy.

Journeyman

I have a question for everybody complaining about the tri-band: Why are you so angry about it? The two other bands haven't even begun getting installed. Anywhere. WiMax is still operational, and iDen is still being taken down. I can understand the "future proof" argument, but do you really expect the other bands to be fully operational within the next 20 months (your next upgrade if you upgrade now)? No. I can guarantee you it won't. Sprint is still trying to install the first band of LTE, along with Network Vision.

No carrier in the US currently has more then one LTE band. So switching carriers will accomplish nothing.

List of LTE networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Journeyman
Journeyman

Sprint let's me purchase a subsidy phone for each member of my family only every two years (I'm ignoring the OneUp plan for now -- deliberately, because it would be overall much more expensive). On a high end smartphone the subsidy is worth anywhere from $400 to $600. They don't reduce my phone bill if I don't get a new phone. I simply don't see using that $2,000 in subsidies to get stuck with phones that won't give me the best performance on the Sprint's network over the next two years.

You're also out of date:

I don't have a good reference for the 800Mhz deployment schedule -- most of the articles say "by 2014", or early 2014. But my concern is not this month -- it's the next two years.

You say the other carriers don't have more than one LTE band (but note they plan to -- Verizon's and AT&T's will be deploying LTE on their AWS -- 1700Mhz spectrum), but what's important is the actual performance. And every independent test that I've seen confirms that Sprint's LTE network is the slowest of the four major carriers (see Regional and National Winners - Fastest Mobile Networks 2013 | PCMag.com). So they clearly need the additional bandwidth more than the other carriers. Pathetic really that T-Mobile, who started rolling out LTE much later was able beat Sprint in several markets on these tests (although at the time of the test, T-Mobile had yet to deploy LTE in several major markets).

The obvious conclusion is that Sprint needs these additional bands more than their competitors. If I buy phones from them that don't support these bands, then I'm locking myself into two more years of inferior service. Not going to do that.

Journeyman

HardReset, I commented yes. Not angry and would not say complaining per se.  I am in the Dallas area. I still have a Wimax phone that drops calls and only gets 1-2 bars in my apartment if I am lucky. 4G is very spotty to say I am in the Dallas area. I just want a speedy working phone. I have stayed with Sprint for 11 years due to the corporate discount that I receive. If another carrier came close to offering the same discount, I might consider them since other family members have service in areas where I do not. No one can seem to explain why at my aunt's house near downtown Dallas I get no service, but go 3 streets over I have service. My posts are observations that Sprint service has issues and that I would like a phone that works 95% of time on their network.Was just hoping that a tri-band phone would solve the issue. See simple logic.

Journeyman

@HardReset: iDen was deactivated about 2 months ago. Part of the 800 MHz spectrum that iDen occupied is being repurposed for FD-LTE, and there are live 800 MHz LTE sites. Part of the 2.5 GHz spectrum that Sprint acquired from Clearwire is being used for TD-LTE, and there are live 2.5 GHz LTE sites. The 1.9 GHz GHz spectrum has live FD-LTE sites. The Wiki page you referenced contradicts your statement about no carriers having more than one band of LTE. You'll notice if you go to the wiki page that multiple US carriers are listed with different frequency bands of LTE.

It's highly likely that Sprint will complete it's 1.9 GHz LTE roll out and 80+% of it's 800 MHz and 2.5 GHz LTE within 20 months.

If I were planning on keeping a new phone for more than about 8 months, I would definitely prefer a tri-band device over the single 1.9 GHz band LTE device.

Journeyman

2.5ghz or 2500mhz is LTE band 41 not 43 , LTE 43 would be 3.5ghz or 3500mhz

Journeyman

800 reaches further out, 1900 is in the middle and then 2500 is closer. Why do you think in-building coverage with verizon is so good?(in some cases) There service is on the 700 network.  The lower the frequency, the further it reaches.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat