cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spontaneous screen cracking (add it to the list of other failures for this phone)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Spontaneous screen cracking (add it to the list of other failures for this phone)

So, the other day, we were all sitting around the table, laughing and having fun, not know the horror that was about to unfold. My beloved, brand new Galaxy Note 3 was sitting on the counter, alone and undisturbed. When I picked it up to check on my constantly changing social status, there was a huge crack, extending diagonally from the headphone jack to the s-pen port! The phone is in PRISTINE condition! Not a blemish on it! Its never been dropped, smacked, neglected, or mistreated! So I hurry up call my sprint store, who sends me to another store. This store says they'll replace my phone but ooh! I didn't buy it there, so I have to go back up to the store I originally called, who try and send me down to the other store again. They called me a liar and told me the phone must have been dropped (no, you can clearly see that there's not even a finger print on it!) and try and charge me for the repair. Nope, not going to do that. So we call samsung, and its currently on its way there after 5 days of getting the run around from sprint. I wish I could have cancelled my service, but then I would have been charged the full price of the phone, yada yada yada. So I will  be without a phone for 2 weeks while my darling is getting repaired.

Since that fateful day of discovering "the crack" I have been doing some research on the subject, and apparently spontaneous cracking is a fairly common problem with Samsung. It has been an issue with previous generations, and I have not found apple issues about this. I guess Samsung uses sub-quality  components. Which is a shame. And you would think that it would be no issue for me to sort this issue out, but nope. Now I'm in for a 2 year sentence.

Now that you have read my rant, does anyone else have any experience with these issues? Any tips on dealing with sprint, too? I'm a first time customer, and certainly this will be my last.

Thanks,

R

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Spontaneous screen cracking (add it to the list of other failures for this phone)

That's weird, I'm sorry that happened. I've owned an S2, an S3, and now a Note 2 and I've never had an issue with the screen cracking. Aside from Samsung's favorite component piece, plastic, the screens are actually suppose to be one of the highest quality components on the phone. But with everything else going on with this phone (I think they totally rushed it) this doesn't surprise me in the least. I hope Samsung gets it squared away for you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Spontaneous screen cracking (add it to the list of other failures for this phone)

I know! It is supposed to made of gorilla glass, which isn't supposed to crack! It's supposed to withstand high temp variations too! The note 3 doesn't really have a back, they used the leather piece instead of the plastic. I think they did too. Its a shame, because it had the potential to be revolutionary!

Thanks!

r

Highlighted
Journeyman

The "leather" actually is really pretty plastic. My room mate got one and took the back off to show me the battery, it's totally plastic. Check out the favorable review at http://reviews.cnet.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3/

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, its faux leather on the back, but it certainly feels like leather. I think this device had the possibility of being revolutionary, but Samsung either rushed it or their Quality assurance department performed an epic fail to customers. It's not just Sprint, I'm hearing complaints over at Verizon too. Both networks are CDMA and I think that has a lot to do with the issues. Although a screen randomly cracking should have nothing to do with anything so somethings going on that many of us are in the dark about.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I thought it was awesome!

But I personally think the screen issue was something maybe relating to the lack of a "solid" back. It cracked from the headphone jack to the s-pen port, which are theoretically the weakest points on the phone case.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was the proud owner of my GN3 for 13 days when the screen cracked, I received the same run around from sprint and the local store and my phone is n prefect condition. I am now waiting for a mailing label email from Samsung who does not seem to know of this issue with their phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My samsung s4 spontaneously cracked while charging on the samsung charger.  Samsung phones overheat A LOT!

Highlighted
Master

kchofey88,

Wow, you can do an insurance claim.

Shay

Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the Note 3, brought it in December and left for Florida a week later. I have so much issues with the Note 3, I took it to 5 different Sprint stores i Florida and got the run around from every one and told I had to wait until I got back to WI. Come back to WI in April and went to the Appleton repair store and after 2 hours going through my phone, he tells me it needs a new sensor (which all 5 stores in Florida told me the same thing and couldn't fix it). He told me it needed a mother board and another part that wasn't working right. He  couldn't fix it, because he didn't the parts. This is the store I brought the phone from. He send me to Green Bay to the corporate store to get it fix. The looked at and did a few resets and agree it had issues and again the run around. Now I pay $11 a month for insurance on my phone. Why am I paying this insurance when they sell me a crappy phone, can't fix and expect to actually put up with shitty phone service. I am now talking to an attorney to file a claim against sprint and there shitty repair service. This phone should have been replaces right away within the first few weeks. I can't use this phone to even talk on it, because all kinds of apps start to fly open and it crackles and pop when I am trying to talk to someone. They can't hear me. Sprint gives me a phone # to call and my question is this: If I have shitty sound quality and they can't hear me and keep hanging up, doesn't prove to Sprint there is a problem with the Note 3 phone. I have even been told by the repair service that Sprint Network can't support the Note 3 phone. Wow! Why didn't sprint tell us that up front.

I have 4 cell phones on my account. In November one contract ends and that phone will no longer be on sprint service. My son is going back to US Cellar where he can actually use their cell service.

I am a really long term sprint customer for many years. But I am on my way out and I am now telling everyone to jump ship and go else where for cell service.

Highlighted
Master

9202051238B,

I am sorry to hear of the issues that you have had with your phone. Did you ever get the phone replaced? IF not please send us a private message to SprintCare with your phone number, account pin and a link to this post.

Thank you
*Stephanie B
Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

i have seen single legged cracks on many S4 S5 Note 3 without any impact damage at my repair facility (non affiliated).  I think it may be a flex issue with the plastic frame. Alot of people put in back pocket and sit on it, havent seen issue with s3 maybe because the curved glass acts as keystone and makes it stronger.  I recommend ZAGG tempered glass screen protector.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat