cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Note 3 Doesn't support tri-band. Will you still get it?

Journeyman

Sprint Note 3 Doesn't support tri-band. Will you still get it?

Well the only phones I will be getting are tri-band ones from here on out. If the note 3 was going to have triband. I would be getting it, but since it does not support sprints newest part of it's network. I will not be getting it and if samsung/sprint decide to make a triband version. I will get it then. But this was a huge disappointment.

Do you go through Sprint?

125 REPLIES 125
Journeyman

Re: Sprint Note 3 Doesn't support tri-band. Will you still get it?

Nope I am not planning to get the Note 3 anymore.  The Note 3 was going to be my next smartphone but Samsung failed to provide triband LTE capabilities which to me are very important.  I am not leaning towards the LG G2 since its been proven through FCC docs that it supports triband LTE.  Samsung and the Note 3 are dead to me as of this point.

Let this be a lesson to Samsung and Sprint to future proof your devices.  Having single band LTE phones at 1900 only puts more burden on the 1900 band in the future.  Sprint should be raising hell that Samsung is not providing LTE band support to allow LTE offloading to LTE 2600 and LTE 800.

Journeyman

Just wondering when was this announced or where did you get this information?  If it's true then I will definitely be paying the ETF and heading to AT&T.

Journeyman

Yes, please provide your source for determination that The SM-N900R4, if it indeed is the Sprint version spotted going through the FCC, is single band (1900).

Here's a great article on Sprint's tri-band opportunity: http://www.wirelessweek.com/articles/2013/08/sprint%E2%80%99s-tri-band-lte-could-be-valuable-differe...

Here's a blog post about the SM-N900R4 at FCC: http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/11/samsung-galaxy-note-3-reaches-the-fcc-in-att-and-sprint-forms/

If this is indeed an issue, I'm hoping that the delay in Sprint announcing their Note 3 release and pricing is due to them seeing the value in at least dual band (1900+800), but ideally a tri-band Note 3, and that they're working this out with Samsung..

Journeyman

Bobbed....the SM-N900R4 is NOT the Sprint variant of the Note 3.  Engadget got it wrong because they are noobs and don't know what to look for in terms of band support to determine it is for Sprint.  The Sprint variant of the Note 3 is the SM-N900P.

I can prove to you that the Sprint variant is this SM-N900P.  If you click on the FCC link below and open up the "RF Exposure Info" document and scroll to page 3 under Section 1.1 and notice for CDMA it supports Band Class 10 (BC10) (frequency range of 818 MHz to 823 MHz) which is the 800 MHz Nextel spectrum and BC25 which is LTE 1900 MHz (which shows that this phone is only single band LTE).  The SM-N900R4 variant does not support BC10 which is for CDMA 800 so that is a dead giveaway since Sprint said that all phones starting in 2012 would all support CDMA 800 which is BC10.  If you scroll to page 5 under Section 1.3 you can see that the dimensions of the phone of 79 mm W x 150 mm H match the Note 3 specifications.

FCC link to Sprint variant SM-N900P

OET List Exhibits Report

Journeyman

Eric.. Thanks for the info. I hope you're right because although tri-band would be ideal, I'd give dual-band (800+1900) a shot. Single band @ 1900 would just not make sense for a phone designed for so much throughput/use, and would end my enthusiasm for the Note3 on Sprint unfortunately (and for gear by default!).

Journeyman

I see your point though: Dual band, but single band LTE...

Journeyman

Exactly.  If the Note 3 was dual band LTE 800/1900, I would probably still get the Note 3 because I care more about the coverage indoors.  I would still be bummed out that I won't be able to take advantage of the fast speeds of LTE 2500 but the features of the Note 3 are too much to pass up.  But because the Note 3 is single band LTE 1900, this is too much of a deal breaker for me.  I have waited too long (had upgrade since June) to settle for a single band LTE phone since I purposely held off in upgrading for the Note 3 and triband LTE.

Now I am looking at the LG G2 as my next smartphone because its been confirmed to be triband LTE through FCC docs.  If you want to know more information about the LG G2, I would suggest you read this article and follow the site.  I love this site since there are so many intelligent folks on there that are pro Sprint and provides the latest on Network Vision news.

Bande à part: LG G2 is the first announced Sprint tri band LTE handset - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

Journeyman

How is tri band lte important? Please help someone who doesn't know.

Journeyman

Word is from sources that Tri-band is there.  Samsung already did it with the SPH-L520 (rumored S4 Mini) so that's your benchmark.  Don't believe other sources if the CDMA bands don't even match.

Link to SPH-L520 docs:

OET List Exhibits Report

Journeyman

Yes that is true and I am fully aware of a possible GS4 mini with triband LTE support but I base my findings on facts.  If you look at post 4 in this thread, I have a link to the FCC docs for the Sprint Galaxy Note 3.  The proof is clearly in there.  Read post 4 for the details on how to verify the Note 3 is single band LTE and that it is the Sprint variant.  You will see that the FCC doc has support for BC 10 (CDMA 800) and BC 25 (LTE 1900).  No other carrier uses BC 10 (CDMA 800) for voice except Sprint. That is enough proof right there.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ERICHCHAN3 wrote:

Yes that is true and I am fully aware of a possible GS4 mini with triband LTE support but I base my findings on facts.  If you look at post 4 in this thread, I have a link to the FCC docs for the Sprint Galaxy Note 3.  The proof is clearly in there.  Read post 4 for the details on how to verify the Note 3 is single band LTE and that it is the Sprint variant.  You will see that the FCC doc has support for BC 10 (CDMA 800) and BC 25 (LTE 1900).  No other carrier uses BC 10 (CDMA 800) for voice except Sprint. That is enough proof right there.

Let's clear this up -> BC10 is more commonly known as 800SMR.

It is proof that is is a possible ES for Sprint, not the final product.

Any final variation for Sprint will undergo another FCC approval and could be different.

Now why I am I adamant that you're wrong?  Without going into too many details due to a Non-Disclosure Agreement, a source who had been provided details from Samsung reps themselves indicated it will be there.   CW suggests this is a huge selling point for Sprint in markets that already have Tri-Band, which crippled several devices like the Note 2 already.

Doubt I'm going to sway your rigidity on this so I'll just wait for the FCC filing on the Sprint model number (which this isn't.).  Everything else is speculation at best, including us.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat