Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Note 3 Doesn't support tri-band. Will you still get it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Note 3 Doesn't support tri-band. Will you still get it?

Well the only phones I will be getting are tri-band ones from here on out. If the note 3 was going to have triband. I would be getting it, but since it does not support sprints newest part of it's network. I will not be getting it and if samsung/sprint decide to make a triband version. I will get it then. But this was a huge disappointment.

Do you go through Sprint?

125 REPLIES 125
Highlighted
Journeyman

I know that BC10 is referred to as 800 SMR with a freq range of 817-824 MHz on the uplink and 862-869 MHz on the downlink.  I think its very rare that once FCC docs come out about a product that there will be huge changes to the design itself.  If Sprint intends to sell this around the same time as the other carriers in early October, I don't see how Sprint can meet that time frame.

Also sources can be wrong too.  In the world of tech and those tech blogs, there are always "sources" that are supposely close to the situation and say they know for sure "some feature" is going to be included only to find out that the sources were wrong as they got closer to launch date.  I am not saying that your source is definitely wrong in this case but sources in the technology realm are often wrong unless they work directly with the product because that is all on fed information which could be based on initial discussions.  Maybe after detailed discussions between Sprint and Samsung, they decided whether that is for cost or politics, that the Note 3 will be single band LTE.  Its no secret that triband is very valuable to Sprint and can be a huge selling point to customers but lets be honest, the majority of Sprint customers don't know anything about frequency bands and triband LTE.

Right now the only model that looks anything relevant to a Sprint model based on BC 10 and BC 25 support is the SM-N900P variant  NO other US wireless carrier uses the BC 10 (CDMA 800) for voice.  That is a pretty good giveaway there.  There were rumors before that the Sprint model was going to be the SM-N900S model but that was debunked when it was revealed that the "S" variant will be headed to SK Telekom in Korea.  Also FCC docs for a smartphone for US carriers all come out around the same time.  The ATT, Tmobile and Verizon, and this Sprint "P" variant all came out on the same day on Sept 11th.

If I find out anything new, I will be sure to update this thread but as of now I doubt we will see any updates to the frequency bands on the Note 3 especially if the Note 3 will be sold in early October.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'll try to make this as simple as I can with an analogy as to why you should care about getting a smartphone with triband LTE capability.  Sprint LTE is in the process of being deployed on 3 frequencies: 800 MHz, 1900 MHz, 2500 MHz.

Think of Sprint LTE as a freeway with 3 lanes:

1) 1 lane for 1900 MHz

2) 1 lane for 800 MHz

3) 1 lane for 2500 MHz

Right now all the LTE phones up until now (including GS4 and HTC One) only have frequency band support for 1900 MHz since Sprint LTE is currently deployed on 1900 MHz.  But in the very near future, Sprint is in the process of deploying LTE on 800 MHz (due to Nextel shutdown in June) and 2500 MHz (after Clearwire purchase) to add more capacity.  800 MHz is very important for LTE because 800 MHz frequency characteristics allow for better coverage and indoor building penetration.  For a reference point, Verizon and ATT currently deploy LTE on 700 MHz and you can see how great the LTE coverage is indoors and outdoors.  Basically LTE coverage everywhere.  So if you have any friends that are on Verizon or ATT and you see how they get great LTE coverage indoors in those locations, well 800 MHz LTE will provide the same coverage as your friends on Verizon or ATT.

2500 MHz is also very important because Sprint has a ton of 2500 MHz spectrum (around 160 MHz) that it purchased from Clearwire.  Think of spectrum as capacity and the more spectrum a wireless carrier has, the more capacity it can to support as many users with LTE.  So Sprint/Clearwire currently deploys Wimax on 2500 MHz but very soon, Sprint is going to launch LTE on 2500 MHz which will provide faster speeds that what Verizon or ATT currently have right now and be able to accommodate more LTE users.

So what does all this mumbo jumbo mean and why its important to get a triband LTE device going forward.  Well if you get a single band LTE device at this point, as more and more Sprint customers jump onto the LTE bandwagon from being off contract that 1900 MHz freeway lane will get really congested which results in slower LTE speeds and the phone is not able to take advantage of the 800 MHz LTE which gives you great deep indoor penetration and coverage.   However if you get a triband LTE device, the phone is able to switch to other freeway lanes (800 and 2500 MHz) which will result in faster speeds and better coverage indoors and outdoors overall.  The key is to position yourself where you have a phone that is able to switch lanes when that lane becomes congested.

I hope this helps.  I know I put a lot of story behind this but its more of trying to give you a full picture.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Very interesting.  The Sprint Galaxy Mega 6.3 hit the FCC today and it supports triband LTE!!!!  Wow I find it rather interesting that the Sprint Galaxy Mega 6.3 and GS4 mini which are both midrange LTE phones by Samsung to provide  triband LTE support.  Makes me wonder what the story is with the Galaxy Note 3 on why it doesn't support triband LTE.

Sprint Galaxy Mega 6.3 FCC filing.

OET List Exhibits Report

Highlighted
Journeyman

on the XDA forums someone said how they think we are just seeing an early engineering sample and the real note 3 hasn't hit yet.  I mean it makes no sense to have mid range phones like the mega and the mini tri-band lte and not the note 3.  I'm hoping that guy is right.. time will tell.  if this really doesn't come with tri-band then i'm getting the lg g2 or the HTC one max (assuming the max as tri-band)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Do you have a link to the XDA forum thread and post?  Also the thing is how often do you see all the FCC docs just get replaced like that?  I haven't.  To me it makes no sense to even publish documents to the FCC if your wireless carrier has no intention of supporting the phone as is.   I mean if Sprint wants to launch the phone around first week of October like the other carriers, they have to launch the Note 3 as is.  If you look at the FCC docs you can see that they did this testing back in July/August and it wasn't until now that they published the FCC docs.

Lets say there is some rework to include B26 and B41 to the Note 3, its going to take at least another month to get the FCC testing done and not only that Samsung would have to start over in its manufacturing of Note 3 units to include the extra antennas to support B26 and B41 and produce new Note 3 units.  This means that we wouldn't expect to see the Note 3 at least until December when Sprint would have enough supply to begin selling the phone.  Does that really make any sense for Sprint?  Its not that as simple as just retesting the phone as is and include B26 and B41 support since the phone currently does not have the antennas to do the testing with.

Highlighted
Journeyman

here you go..

Sprint Note 3 Doesn't support tri-band. - Page 4 - xda-developers

also I hope this isn't the case. but sprint hasn't officially said when the phone is coming out yet right? hopefully its not going to take a long while like November or December  that would be bad.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Lol that's my thread. But People, when the phone gets passed through the FCC. It will be the exact same as the when they officially announcement. The Specs do not change unless a new FCC     file gets pushed through

Highlighted
Wizard

JOHNABIS01,

Thanks for the post. If you check our newsroom once in a while, Sprint will update the site when new info has been provided for the device. www.sprint.com/newsroom

Victor

Sprint Social  Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint newsroom is a joke , no real information about tech specs and release dates. The newsroom didn't announce availability for the moto x until a day before its release. Which would prob be the case with the note 3. I know sprint is trying to play it safe and not give a release date only to have to change it but if that's the case at least give a time frame like 1st week of October release or something like that its better than nothing . As for whether or not its tri-band sprint isn't going to say anything till it releases and the specs are out. The best bet to see if its tri-band before its release is either tech sites like s4gru or just try and read the fcc files as of now it is believe not to be a tri-band but the galaxy mega is but who knows when sprint will release that as they put out a Sprint Newsroom press release on August 19th (almost a month ago ) but have been silent since but the fcc filing for the device shows LTE bands 25 , 26, and 41 so it's got antennas for all 3 bands but sadly the note 3 is only supporting the single 1900mhz LTE band

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was all in for the Note 3 until I read the comments about single vs dual vs tri-band. If single band, I will not buy.  I'm still holding onto a slow HTC EVO 4G, so why would I want another slow phone. I've started reviewing specs of other phones to see if there is anything else that catches my eye.

I am smiling as I read the comments/guesses on when the Note 3 will be available for pre-sale or sale. Last month I took my phone in for repair and three different Sprint store reps tried to get me to upgrade to the Iphone 4S, Iphone 5, and S3 while I was there. (yes, I said S3). My aircard has been available for upgrade for 2 years and my phone for 1 year.  I finally told the last rep that I was waiting to see the new fall phones specifically the Note 3 before I upgrade with Sprint or if I am jumping ship. He proceeded to tell me that he has a friend who works security for Samsung. He said that Samsung was getting robbed a lot lately, so they have security follow the large shipments to Sprint’s warehouse and that the Note 3 is already sitting in the Sprint warehouses just waiting on FCC approval. I’m sure my facial expression…o_O combined with a sarcastic “oh really?” told him I wasn’t buying his story. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I will be moving to ATT or Tmobile. Although sprints LTE is available in my area and has ok speeds as soon as I step into work or my house it drops to 3g and is incredibly slow (I was getting 24k a couple days ago). I do have wifi in my home but I shouldnt have to rely on my wifi for decent speeds from my cell. Im more loyal to Samsung than sprint so if the sprint variation of the note 3 isn't triband Im leaving.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprints gonna be the best network for the money! If you want the tri band so bad get the LG G2.  You can't even use the different bands yet lol.  Note 3 will have dual bands so still good.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat