cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 6.0.1 broke 2.4 GHz wifi, but not 5 GHz?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android 6.0.1 broke 2.4 GHz wifi, but not 5 GHz?

Hello all,

Just updated my phone via the settings menu and always receive "timed out" or "DNS probe finished no internet" on 2.4 GHz but 5 GHz WiFi is working fine. Bad driver for the WiFi radio? I realize the first step in resolving this would be to perform a factory reset but I don't have time for that right now. How incredibly disappointing. Official software, not rooted, phone is only a few months old.

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: Android 6.0.1 broke 2.4 GHz wifi, but not 5 GHz?

Since the update I cannot use my Wifi.I did a few workarounds and found that if I turn off my Bluetooth then my Wifi works fine. I cannot have both of them going at the sametime.

GrandMaster

are you able to use both 2.4 and 5 once you turn off BT?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thank you! I have the same issue and it was driving me nuts. As soon as I turned off bluetooth, wifi came back good as new.

Hopefully Samsung or Sprint will send out fix soon. Thanks again

Journeyman

Yes, I just upgraded to Marshmallow today and have this same issue on my Note 4.

This is definitely an issue that Sprint/Google needs to solve.

I work from home and use Wi-Fi AND Bluetooth all day long. My desk phone is connected to my Note 4 through Bluetooth so I can make and take cell calls on my desk phone and I use my home Wi-Fi on my phone since it is so much faster than LTE and my LTE signal is non-existent in my basement  home office. If I had known about this before upgrading I would have postponed the update but now I am stuck with it.

Rebooting doesn't help. I thought I resolved it by going into Settings -> Backup and Reset -> Reset Network settings, which resets all your Wi-Fi, Mobile Data and Bluetooth settings. When I was done with that Wi-Fi was back to its speedy self (I had to reconnect to my router as the settings were wiped out). I then went to use my desk phone to make a call and realized the Bluetooth settings were wiped out too so I setup that up again and now I am back to the beginning. With Bluetooth on my Wi-Fi is horribly slow.

TheGoodAndTheUgly.jpg

Message was edited by: SeanEBrown

I can't comment on 5Ghz vs 2.4 Ghz as my Gateway Router only supports 2.4Ghz (Xfinity TC8305C)
Speed is fantastic on every other device I own.

Journeyman

I just installed the update and I'm not seeing this issue. I've been able to use both my 2.4 and 5.0 networks as usual. Have you all tried a factory reset?

Journeyman

Same exact problem for me too on both of our Note 4 phones.  Sprint denies any issue.

Journeyman

I did a factory reset and it did resolve the issue for me but that also meant 4 to 5 hours of reinstalling apps and configuring settings for apps, notifications, etc. I realize that Google and Samsung offer backup services that can restore a lot of that stuff, but that risks re-introducing the issue so I started from scratch. Battery life has definitely improved in Android 6.x so that's pretty nice, now that the dust has settled from the reset.

Journeyman

I too can attest that doing a factory reset solves the problem and I will agree with the OP that it's a pain in the rear to reinstall everything. I actually let my Google account restore everything but you still have to go back into all of your apps and sign in and set things up as you have them before. I will also agree that battery life seems much improved and I love being able to write on the screen while the device is turned off. It makes it easy to write a quick note or take down a number in a hurry!

I am still paying this off for several more months but I can't help but wonder what the next iteration of the Note (6) will be.

Journeyman

Is there away to uninstall the marshmallow update sprint denies any issues here as well my wifi does not work or blue tooth this is ridiuclous

GrandMaster

did you attempt what the others did since it fixed theirs? back up the phone using kies or smart switch..factory reset the phone..then use kies or smart switch to put everything back onto your phone.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Yes done that twice

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat