cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deregister Fingerprint from Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Go to solution
Journeyman

Deregister Fingerprint from Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Hi Sprint Community. I recently put my scanned fingerprint on my lock screen to unlock it. Now for some reason I can't opt out of using it. I want to set my lock screen back to the way it was without the fingerprint scanned. My device won't allow me to delete it. What can I do?

11 REPLIES 11
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Deregister Fingerprint from Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Hey nicbrad, I turned off my fingerprint lock on my S5, as well.  It's a handy feature but it was so sensitive that I had trouble getting the 'swipe' just right.  It's not hard to disable (and set up a different security method, if you like).  Check out the instructions to do so here: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 User Guide  and let us know if you have other questions!

Christy
Sprint Social Care
Click here to send me a PM

Journeyman

Hi Christy. Thanks for responding. The link to the instructions was to set the fingerprint screen lock, not deregister. I just want to swipe to unlock.

Sorry nicbrad76, I should have been more specific

If you go to Settings: Lock Screen and click on "finger print" as it's currently set, it'll require that you put in your fingerprint one more time.  After that, in the Select Screen Lock screen you can select a new screen lock feature (or none at all, if you choose).

Hope that makes things a bit more clear.

Christy
Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

I tried that, but the option for swipe or none are grayed out with a note that reads:  Turned off by administrator, encryption policy or credentialimage.jpg storage.  Pic attached.

Is this phone issued to you by your employer or set up with a Microsoft Exchange Active Sync or VPN?  If so, your employer may have set administrative rights to the phone requiring that you secure it.

If you're the only user of the phone, you should be able to disable the Administrator by going to Settings: Security and unchecking the Encryption and Android Device Administrator settings.

Christy
Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Nope...I purchased this phone at a sprint store for my own personal use...not work related.  I don't know what the Microsoft Exchange Active Sync or VPN is.  Should I take it to a sprint store??

Basically I'm asking if you have anything that would be accessing encrypted information on the phone.  Typically that would be something like your employee email account (even if your employer doesn't issue your phone).  For instance, one of my family members has the same options on his Note 4 because he has his work email account set up on the phone.  He cannot select 'swipe' or 'none' for security settings because his employer requires that he secure their information on his phone.

If none of these things apply, you can try backing up all your data and doing a Factory Reset, which will wipe all your information off the phone.  However, if you find that it comes back after you've added a particular email account or security measure (like device encryption), you've likely found the culprit. If you're still unable to resolve it, then yes, you might want to visit a Sprint Service and Repair location.

Christy
Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

I got this same screen and couldn't go back to SWIPE after using pin to unlock screen.  Did live chat with Sprint and she had me go to Settings/Security and Clear credentials.  After that worked fine.

Journeyman

OMG....Becca740 you are the absolute freaking best!!!! That totally worked and you have made my millennium. Thank you so very much.

Journeyman

You're welcome.  Sprint support always has answers for me.  Took about 5 minutes.

Becca740, I am so glad you were able to come in here and let us know how you got it worked out.  Taught me something today as well.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat