cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Note 4's location shows NY, I live in WV...?!

Journeyman

My Note 4's location shows NY, I live in WV...?!

Hello everyone,

I have a weird and unique issue that has happened since I purchased my Note 4 in 2015.  The weather widget on my home screen consistently shows I'm located in Bensonhurst, NY when I am connected to my Airave.  I currently live in Mathias, WV, a solid 8+ hour drive from NY.

This only happens when I'm connected to my Airave, not when I'm on a normal tower.  At one time the location indicated I was in a nearby area, or actually was in Mathias, WV, but that was some time ago.  The location services are turned on in my phone, using both cellular, gps, and wifi.  This even happened after I did a factory reset on the phone.  

Anyone have any ideas why this happens?  Is the Airrave going bad and need replacing?

10 REPLIES 10
Master

Re: My Note 4's location shows NY, I live in WV...?!

modemnettech, thank you for contacting us. This is indeed not a common issue but we'd be happy to assist you. Are you using the Weather app that came installed on the device or is this a 3rd party app?

Ina.

Sprint Social Care.

Ina.
Sprint Social Care Team.
GrandMaster

unplug the airave for about 10 minutes then plug it back in..should take around 10ish minutes for it to fully boot back up then test again.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Ina,

Yes, I am using the default weather app that comes with the phone.  In fact, upon closer discovery, any widget or app that uses the location services, indicates I'm in Bensonhurst, NY.  Doesn't matter if it's the default weather widget/app, or accessing Google Maps which defaults my location to Bensonhurst, NY.  I didn't know if this was indication of my Airave going bad?

Brad

Journeyman

fireguy_6364:

Thanks for that suggestion, however I have tried that before.  Whether it's a power outage (we live rurally), or me unplugging the power and network to the Airave, when it's back online, it's very shortly thereafter indicating I'm back in Besonhurst, NY.  Definiately a headscratcher here.

Brad

GrandMaster

your signal is pulling from the airave so its safe to say that is more than likely the cause of th elocation issues. you might need to contact airave support and have them reset it on their side. their number has changed and for the life of me i cant remember what their new number is.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

After mentioning the issue here on the Sprint forums, I'm not sure if someone from Sprint made a change on the back side of things with the Airave, but it's now showing Bayse, VA, which is about 10 mi away (how the bird flies) across the mountain.  That's MUCH more suitable than having it show Bensonhurst, NY.  I'd still like to see it show Mathias, WV (3.5 mi away), but this is heading in the right direction!

GrandMaster

sounds like there might be a hiccup internally that is getting worked on for the airave side. im guesssing its location based as in covering a certain city/state.
Journeyman

I was wondering if that was the case.  I know when I first had my EVO 4G way back in the day and the very first Airvana, it would locate me at Mathias, WV which is only 3 miles or so away.  It wasn't until using the Note 2 that I began to notice a serious location deficit.  I was never sure if it was a location issue with Samsung/Google, or Sprint.  However my Note 2's and 4's have always reported correct locations when on cell towers vs Airaves leading me to think it's an Airave issue.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

figure the airave is a tower inside of your home. so any info the phone or phones are pulling while connected to it are from the airave. unless there is a known issue currently happening with the iaraves out in that area im still leaning towards it needing to be reset on Sprints side.
Tags (1)
Master

modemnettech, we'd like to put you in contact with our technical support team for further assistance. Please reply to my private message.

Ina.

Sprint Social Care.

Ina.
Sprint Social Care Team.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat