cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Marshmallow Update (PC1) Issues

GrandMaster

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Marshmallow Update (PC1) Issues

shoot. and booting up in safe mode gives you the same results? boot loops?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I can get into safe mode fine.  Several times I've done a factory reset.  Problem is that the troubles begin not long after I've done the factory reset. 

I surfed to other forums and someone recommended that I install a program called WakeLock, which can keep the phone from going fully to sleep.  So far today, since I've installed it, I have not had any rebooting issues and the phone has been generally responsive.  Normally by this time it would have restarted on me one or more times by now, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

GrandMaster

so its something that Samsung will need to adjust on their end and kick out another update to fix it. not unheard of but woof..this one is for sure a pain. there havent been a ton of reports of MM having any bad affects but i have come across a couple devices that didnt play nicely with it so far.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Duh!  How can we be so befuddled?  The Galaxy Note 6 will be announced soon.  They are either sending out this bug or it was programmed in our phones so we will upgrade to the Note 6.  I love my Note 4.  As soon as I figure out how to go back to Lollipop I will do so. 

Journeyman

MARTINOST- If the troubles begin after you download your apps, it's most likely an app that is the issue, not the update itself. I'm not sure WakeLock (or any other app) to fix (what is probably) an app problem is the way to go IMO. If you think wakelock has fixed the issue, then it's probably one of the apps not playing nicely with Doze. As I don't know exactly what you've tried so far, I recommend these steps (presuming you aren't rooted): 1) Make sure all your apps are up to date from the Play Store (Note: if you have apps that are NOT from the PLAY store, uninstall them, that might fix your problem right there). 2) Go to Settings --> Battery and under the heading "App Power Saver" click DETAIL. Set all the apps to "Turned Off."This will defeat Doze at the app level. Leave Doze ON. 3) Restart the device. 4) Uninstall WakeLock (if it's on your device). 5) Play with it for a couple days- confirm this has solved your problem. If so, evoila! It's time to start turning back on Doze one app at a time to see which the offender is. I can tell you that all of my apps are set to "Always" for Doze with the exception of Admin, Android Pay, Google Opinion Rewards, Mighty Text, Trigger and Weather, which are turned off. I have no apps running the "Auto" setting. Hope this helps!

Journeyman

Troubles have developed before any apps were downloaded.  This smells like a hardware issue, but it is a hardware issue that only developed AFTER Marshmallow was installed.  Pre-Marshmallow I had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Wake Lock (two words I guess) keeps the CPUs running in standby mode.  What's interesting is that since I've installed it, I have not had the device reboot on me once - and it was even doing so with just a stock install - no apps added.

I have discovered another issue that is more pronounced now that the random reboots are not happening - sometimes the phone, if powered off, will not turn on again. 

Long story short... I'm fairly convinced that, in some cases at least, Marshmallow has caused issues on the Note 4.  I'd like to understand how many users this is impacting, because it is an inconvenience to me and my phone is out of warranty (leased through Sprint as well, adds another layer of complexity), but if the update is the culprit, it needs to fall to Sprint and/or Samsung to make right.

GrandMaster

have you contacted Samsung or checked out their site to see if anything has been posted about it so far?

Journeyman

I had this same problem 2 weeks ago. Note 4 was fried due to this software update. Boot loops, freezing upon startup, etc. Was never able to reboot the device. Did factory reset lost all info and still no fix. Had to send my phone to Samsung to fix and they still have it. Have had no phone for 2 weeks now. This is a major issue and I haven't heard of any resolution no matter what Sprint tells me to do other than have Samsung repair it. Totally strained my relationship with Sprint over this. Should not be an insurance issue. I shouldn't have to pay a monthly premium to fix a software push. That's ridiculous.

Journeyman

Nothing on their site.  Their chat agent was less than helpful, only telling me that my device was out of warranty and they could not fix it as a result.  I haven't yet gone to a Sprint store, because I at least have functionality at the moment, though I am sorely tempted to do so.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

there are 3rd party sites that dig a bit into stuff like this. i'll fire you a pm with one of the main ones i know of. they might know whats up over there.

Journeyman

Agreed

Journeyman

I never had issues with my touch screen or any other issue with my note 4. After installing marshmallow my phone started power cycling and lagging. I contacted sprint who tried saying they had nothing to do with updates! Ignorant. After explaining what was happening to the Samsung rep she immediately said it was a bad install and needed a software reflash and directed me to the Samsung "tech" at the nearest best buy. Three hours later phone was still rebooting and then when they gave it back it didn't even turn on. I called Samsung from the best buy and was told it would have to go to an actual technician and I wouldn't be charged even though my phone was 5 mo out of warranty being it is a software issue. This is after having already factory reset, wiped cache, etc... I sent my phone out and after days had no email so I checked online and found I owed $182.89 before the work would be completed on my phone. Two hours and three samsung reps later I find that the software reflash wasn't done bc they first take the screen off and do a diagnostic test on the device to make sure there isn't any other issue. Why? The order from the initial rep said exactly what to do, software reflash, but hey let's try to make up sine other issues and charge 200 bucks. I was told I had an issue with the touch screen then that the issue was inside the phone...different reps different stories. I was even told I would have to pay anyway even if it was a software issue being my phone is out of warranty to which I replied by inquiring if the calls were recorded and giving the incident # given to me by the first rep. The rep can back from a long hold to inform me I was correct it should be free if it is a sofware issue. I took a video with my tablet of the device at ups before boxing it up to show the perfect condition with the serial number rather than just a still picture which could be any phone. I had a phone that at least turned on when I did a factory reset after the best buy Samsung tech failed. I told Samsung they could check with sprint and see I made texts and calls so the touch screen wasn't an issue and I now would either be paying the money or getting a phone back that was inoperable. Again, after hours of literal crying from anger and exhaustion they did me a "courtesy" of repairing the device. My son who also has a note 4 is now having the same issues. His phone automatically updated while in school and now is rebooting and battery is draining and shutting down. This is ridiculous. It is a known issue and for the person who replied they haven't heard about this must not have access to the Internet. They cannot tell me it is not from the marshmallow update when my son is now having the exact issues. I agree that they do this purposely because sprint's first and only solution was to lease a phone for a monthly price equal to that of the subsidized price I paid for my phone. I have been a sprint customer since I was 17, for 15 years hoping they eventually get it together and thinking as soon as I leave they'll become a great company. I will be going elsewhere and never purchasing a Samsung product again. This is shady business.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat