cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Marshmallow Update (PC1) Issues

Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Marshmallow Update (PC1) Issues

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Marshmallow Update (PC1) Issues

I received the 6.0.1 update yesterday and my phone started freezing, and rebooting just for the hell of it.  I don't have a lot of games or apps on it either. 

The worst of the issues is the battery drain.  It goes from 100% charge to around 30% in about 4 hours of light usage, and soon thereafter says the battery is dead.

I never had bat issues before this update!  Call Sprint and they play dumb like they don't know what I'm talking about.  They always offer the same rhetorical solutions (like we haven't tried them before calling).

They also try to blame any 3rd party app as the cause, when they never caused any issues before the update.  Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

Thanks

NK

135 REPLIES 135
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Marshmallow Update (PC1) Issues

The update has had an opposite affect on my phone.....phone is buttery smooth. Battery life is much improved especially in standby.

Journeyman

I agree my battery has always lasted all day now after update 3 to 4 hours max! I'm not happy there's a few other bus as well like the sd card dosent seem to be operating correctly I hope they fix this stuff!

Well, Not experienced but below mentioned are few battery saving tips that would definitely help you:

1. Toggle off GPS, BT, NFC, Hotspot/Tethering. Toggle on only as needed. (Switch to "Battery Saving" Mode).

2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum Acceptable to you.

3. Sign out of any unused Google Services like G+, Google Now, etc.

4. Disable Location Reporting/History.

5. Beware of constantly syncing in background Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, Google News and Weather, Google Currents, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more and change settings to stop the syncing of data you don't need. Delete the Apps you never use.

6. Turn Off Hot Word "Hotword Detection" Always Listening Mode in Google Search if you don't use it.

7. Turn Off Auto Camera/Photo Upload or at least set it for Upload on WIFI Only.

8. Turn Off Vibrate on Touch for Display, Keyboard, etc.

9. Turn Off Touch Sounds and Unlock Sounds.

10. Don't use Live Wallpaper. Use a dark wallpaper if possible.

11. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.

12. Set WIFI to Always stay on during Sleep if you regularly use WIFI.

13. Uncheck "Always Scanning" in WIFI settings.

14. Turn Off Always Vibrate in Gmail/Email.

15. Be careful of using too many Live Widgets and what/how often they sync.

16. Set MS Exchange Sync at 30 Days or Less.

17. Do NOT use a Task Killer App or Battery Saver App.

If this is still unresolved then you may want to visit the nearest Sprint Repair Center along with your phone so that they can have a look into it for you.

I am sure this will help

Journeyman

I was getting the battery drain with lollipop and I am anxiously awaiting marshmallow

Journeyman

Goodness ! If I need to do all that, what's the point in having this phone?

Good point. However, if you are not using a particular feature, it would be better to disable it off since you now know that some features would drain off your phone battery.

Journeyman

I have to agree! Same experience here, immediately after the update (1 week ago) and ever since...random reboots and application freezes. Even after resetting network settings and updating all apps, still happens at least a dozen times a day. Battery life is half what is was, with the SAME apps in their same config as before the upgrade. The solution for this as I see so often can NOT be wiping and factory resetting the phone. Otherwise, STOP offering downloadable in-place upgrades. This is coming from someone who is very experienced with Android phones, especially Samsung. Very disappointed.

Journeyman

Definitely agree too.  After update battery life was Much Better, until in reaches 47% then it shuts down and power goes to 0%.   This is horrible and they definitely need to fix it.

Journeyman

My phone is also >48 hours of battery life after the update, but I ALWAYS do these steps after a major update:

1) Backup Contacts to Google (some end up on the phone=annoying)

2) Backup any launcher settings you may be using (I use Nova launcher)

3) Clear the cache of the phone (Power off, press and hold Volume up, home button and power, Select clear cache with volume buttons, select with power)

4) While still in this "pre-load" mode, FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE. (Come on in, the water's fine...)

Let me know if this helps. Honestly, in this instance, Sprint didn't lie to you- invariably the reason it's the apps fault is it was on your phone before the update and therefore "optimized" (I hate that phrase) to work with that version. So by utilizing the factory reset, you force the offending apps to be reloaded with the specific versions to match your OS.

Cheers!

Journeyman

As the question says "Marshmallow Update Issues" I will add this question: After doing all the above steps (Full Factory reset) my Android Pay doesn't seem to be working with the Fingerprint unlock. Can anyone @Sprint confirm if this is a know issue/being worked on? Before the update I could use my fingerprint to unlock Android Pay, now I'm required to use my backup password. Help, anyone?

Journeyman

Thanks!  I have actually done everything short of a factory reset, but time to bite the bullet and do it I suppose :-)   Part of my frustration with doing the factory reset is a have a 64GB micro SD card with lots of stuff on it, so I had to copy that elsewhere before blanking the card out.  It's very frustrating when doing an in-place upgrade that these issues always seem to happen, and aren't fixed without doing many extra steps.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat