cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Note 4: Cannot do data and phone call at the same time???

Master

Re: Samsung Note 4: Cannot do data and phone call at the same time???

Dingo17

I'm sorry you feel this way. There are other options we have available if this phone is not the best phone for you. You can purchase the phone and if you're not happy with it, you have within 14-days from the day of purchase to return the device.

Anntenetta, Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

I JUST FOUND OUT RECENTLY!

I am livid at Sprint's nerve!

Oh but I will be looking into T-mobile this weekend, thats for sure! Enough of Sprint's shinnanigans!

Journeyman

THANK YOU!!!!

Its like that old saying, Sprint is [inappropriate word removed] on our backs, and telling us it's raining!

That just adds insult to injury sprint!!! DONT YOU GUYS GET IT?

You made a foolish choice to put out a NEW phone and restrict it so it is less capable than my super OLD phone! Are you kidding me??????

Ok, who has the number to T-mobile?

Message was edited by: TheModerator - This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines.

Journeyman

Its not the phone....it's sprint new network "Spark"....so basically ALL NEW phones (within the last year) will not be able to do data and voice at the same time unless you're on wifi. The new network doesn't support both at this moment is what they told me. So guess what!!!??? I switch to verizon this pass weekend and got the Note 4.

I basically asked them, why they didn't keep the phones on the old network until the new one was fully functional. And whats really funny is if/when they resolve this issue, these new phone still might not be able to do both because of how they are made (something about 1 antenna). You will have to then wait on the next batch of phones that correspond to the newly fixed "Spark" network...smh. Glad I left!

Journeyman

Are you POSITIVE that with Verizon, u can talk on the phone while surfing the net EVEN when u aren't on WiFi?

Journeyman

Yes, I even ask the Verizon sale clerk before switching. The problem is Sprint don't tell no one this before upgrading because they no people will not upgrade if they know. And what customer thinks to ask "does this phone work with data/phone at the same time" when there last Note 3 did (thats what I had)?

Also my friend who got the new Note 4, I talked her into getting. I still had the Note 3 and just thought the Note 4 would do the same. She had gotten the LG G (something) previously but it wouldn't do data/phone at the same time. She had also had the iphone 5 with Sprint that wouldn't do data/phone. I just thought the LG was just like the iphone and the phone itself didn't support it, not anything to do with Sprint. So I ended up giving her my old HTC 4G LTE phone which worked fine. So once she decided to upgrades 2 weeks ago I told her go for the Note 4 because I would. Not knowing that it was this new network that was not supporting the dual function (which explain why the LG didn't work neither).

She's really upset because she's stuck with this phone and is paying retail price for it $700 because she wasn't due for an upgrade and needed a phone. Sprint and this you can bring the phone back in 14 days doesn't also mention you have to pay to re stock the phone. Really just give people their money back and let them go!

I left because I had the Note 3 for awhile and was due for an upgrade. But what was I going to upgrade to after finding this out??? An older phone that does both? Another Note 3? Sprint doesn't realize how much people do while out (using my gps in the car, stores, etc). I'm not always at home or work where theres wifi. Who has time everywhere they go to connect to the wifi in public places before making a phone call? My friend was out shopping yesterday and had to hang up to send me a picture text of an outfit. Really????

Master

SECRETVIRGO84,

Thanks for reaching out. Please let us know if you have any Sprint related inquiries, we're here to help.

- Mabel
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Tell me this. Does Verizon have unlimited data?

Wizard

Nope. And it's much slower for Android updates.

Journeyman

This is for the S5, but I assume it would work on the galaxy note 4 and all other devices with this issue. Hi all,  I wanted to let you know that there is a very easy work around for this limitation.  It is supplied by Google Inc through the Hangouts Dialer app.  I'm not sure whether or not you need Hangouts installed to use it, but it allows you to make calls via the data network and still use the network to browse the web, etc.  I have tried it several times at home with WiFi off and it works flawlessly so far.  It's sad that Sprint didn't find a way to bypass this limitation on their own, or at least inform customers, but this is an easy and seamless solution by Google.  I put the icon right next to my default phone icon for future use.    Additionally, I can not believe that Sprint is not aware of this work around.  I spoke to a few different representatives today, and none were able to offer a solution.  I found this on my own searching the play store.  Hope this helps!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

you're right about Verizon. They were always dead LAST in the update race. That's who I left to sign with Sprint, as Sprint has better signal in my area. Add unlimited data. Only thing I miss is talk and data simultaneously, which, if I'm correct is a combo of single antenna equipped phones to match Sprint network's requirements.

Journeyman

z123 Nailed it. I was about to post that for you guys. Wife bought me the NOTE 4 for Christmas. Last night at work I found out the hard way I couldnt use data when on the phone. What!! Are you freakin kidding me. I thought my new Note was jacked up. But a quick google search and i discovered the NOTE 4 is a step back from my s3.  So thats awesome. Im driving, lost, using gps, and a phone call comes in. Oops.. No more gps!

When I read online its not capable of doing Voice and Data, I thought. What if I just get rid of voice. Well it worked.

I used google voice

When Someone calls my phone, it rings though my Hangouts app. So when I answer the call im actually using data. Which means im still able to surf the web, use gps, ect. While in hangouts sending texts theres a phone icon next to your contacts. when you press it to call you are again, using the hangouts app to make a call. So again.. Youre using data.

The down side to this. NO custom ring tones.

But after being a Sprint customer  for 9 years. Im done out of principle. This is absolutely ridiculous. Later today Im going to check with T-Mobile and Verizon to see what their plans cost a month. If its the same price Im switching so I dont have to deal with this work around BS and it just simply works out of the box.

I think she bought the phone 2 days before christmas so I still have time to get rid of it. And as im writing this I see its now 10am.. Time to make some phone calls..  For those of you stuck with Sprint. Just use this as a work around.

EDIT: Just called T-Mobile. They said most of their phones do voice and data at the same time. I told him my issue with the note 4. He said let me verify. Put me on hold. Came back.. And Yes, He said their phones are on voLte and the note 4 can do voice and data at the same time. But my bill will be going up. $60 for 3g, and $80 a month for unlimited 4g... Right now im paying $60 with sprint.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat