cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

note 4 purchase/unlocking

Highlighted

note 4 purchase/unlocking

Contemplating purchasing the note 4 out of contract but i need to know if i decided to use on another DOMESTIC carrier, what am i capable of doing, since by law now carriers can not lock devices to their network? How should i go about doing this. This is VERY IMPORTANT to me.

16 REPLIES 16
Master

Re: note 4 purchase/unlocking

Until Feb 2015, you will not be able to unlock it, but after that, I'm sure you should be able to.

If that is important to you, have you looked into the unlocked ones? I think Amazon had an option for it. The issue with that is that you have to provision it for Sprint.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

I want to order  the note  phene 4  and the astore blok me out yesterday I saw price and discount now its block after a Went to a sprint store   why....

Master

If you went to a store and they pulled your info to see if you qualify for the 2yr agreement discount, sometimes it will get stuck and it might get 24hr to reset (normally after midnight).

I think you should be able to call telesales and place the preorder if that's what you want to do, and they can see that there is no order placed (if you didn't place any).

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.

as of August 1st, it became LAW that cellphones must be unlock able for carriers. if I were to purchase an unlocked version, how would I provision it for sprint? 

Master

AS of August 1st, it became law that is no longer illegal to unlock phones through a third service provider (ebay or private stores). Carriers came into an agreement that staring Feb 2015, they will unlock phones to use with other carriers if they fulfill certain criterias. It will be much easier to unlock by then.

Provisioning would be by adding sprint's APN's and registering it via Sprint database. Not sure if they will be willing to do that or not. APN part is easy, the registering part is harder since they decide if they want to do that or not.

Wizard

I'm curious about something here. Besides the law coming into effect in Feb 2015, lets say for arguments sake that the law is in effect as of right now. I feel that it still wouldn't matter since the OP stated Domestic carrier. Unless the other domestic carrier is using the same radio frequencies that is in the Sprint version, wouldn't it be safe to say that you can't use the Sprint device unless its roaming on Verizon? I don't think you can use it on T-Mobile or AT&T that's for sure.

Unless the OP is talking about another carrier which uses the Sprint frequencies like Ting for example.

Regardless, it would help if the OP stated what carrier he is referring to.

TS

Master

JMDZ

Thank you of reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. You can pre-order the note 4 on sprint.com/note4. Let me know if you have any questions or get any error online.

*Randi
Sprint Social Care
Master

amchaseltine - Thank you for posting. Devices manufactured with a SIM slot within the past three years (including, but not limited to, all Apple iPhone devices), cannot be unlocked to accept a different domestic carrier's SIM for use on another domestic carrier's network. Sprint has no technological process available to do this. Even though a device may be unlocked, there is no guarantee that is is compatible with the network or can be provisioned to work correctly on the network. - Kareem
Sprint Social Care

I am talking about a device that is currently being manufactured, AFTER the Federal regulation passed stating that they must have the ability to work on another carrier, not just internationally.

Master

amchaseltine:

There is an unlocking policy that is in place that must be adhered to. Please click the following link for more information on the official unlocking policy: http://bit.ly/1ejl4qc

Jon H.

Sprint Social Care Team

if I purchase a device for FULL MSRP, out of contract, through Sprint. because I am thinking of staying out of contract, I would be following the unlocking policy without any issues. I need to know if I pay 800 bucks for a phone from you, that you will follow the government regulations, and allow me to use the device with another domestic carrier.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat