cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note Edge VS Note II - Product Ambassadors

Wizard

Now I realize these two phones are not really competitors but I thought it would be interesting to compare how far the phone has come after two major revisions. The Note II was a popular device when I bought it a couple years ago and still know people using it.

Device Size

The size of the device might be the first thing you wonder - is the Note Edge bigger? Well it is ever so slightly bigger, but not so much that you would notice. The new device is also .04 inches slimmer and the screen size is .01 inches larger on the diagonal.

DimensionNote EdgeNote II
Length5.96"5.95"
Width3.24"3.17"
Height.33".37"
Screen Size5.6"5.5"

Here are some comparison shots:

2015-04-01 08.40.49.jpg

Side by side with the Note Edge on the left.

2015-04-01 08.40.30.jpg

Stacked up with the Note II on top.

Screen

After the size, the next thing you might notice is the differences in the display. The screen of the Note Edge has a much higher resolution and almost doubles the pixel density. As I compare the two, I notice how much better the screen renders images and text. The colors are brighter and text is much clearer and easier to read, especially at smaller font sizes. Below are some of the quick stats on the screen.

DimensionNote EdgeNote II
Screen TypeSuper AMOLED Quad HDSuper AMOLED Plus
Resolution1600 x 2560720 x 1280
Pixel Density524 ppi

267 ppi

Network Compatibility

The Note Edge also has the ability to communicate with the Sprint Spark network. As Sprint continues to upgrade towers to take advantage of the high band 2.5GHz spectrum for high speed and high capacity data transfer and the low band 800 MHz spectrum for building penetration and greater signal strength over longer distances - the Note Edge will be equipped to take advantage of it. While the Note II does support LTE, it is limited to the original 1900 MHz bands that were rolled out first.

Camera

The Note II has a 8 MP rear camera with a 1.9 MP selfie camera. The Note Edge has a 16 MP camera with a 3.7 MP selfie camera. In addition to the higher resolution pictures, you get new features of HDR which balances the light and dark in your pictures and optical image stabilization to help reduce movement blur. I've also noticed the Note Edge has much better image capture in lower light situations.

2 Pic1.jpg Edge Pic1.jpg

The image on the left was taken with the Note II and the image on the right was taken with the Note Edge. The flash was not used for either image, but the Note Edge captures much more light. Below is a picture taken under better lighting conditions. I think the color on the Note Edge is brighter and the image is less grainy.

2 Pic2.jpg

Taken with the Note II.

Edge Pic2.jpg

Taken with the Note Edge.

With the Note Edge, there are also a number of new software and hardware features.

• Edge Screen - Of course the edge screen is kind of the premier feature of the Note Edge. It allows access to clock, notifications, shortcuts and more.
  • S-Health - Track your steps, heart rate, diet and more with the new S-Health App and sensors.
  • Fingerprint Scanner - Unlock your phone, authorize pay pal purchases and more using the built in fingerprint scanner.
  • Wi-Fi Calling - Call using the Wi-Fi network when you don't have a good signal indoors.
  • Smart Remote - Control your TV and cable box. Just set this up last night and it's pretty cool. Quick
  • Sprint Direct Connect Now - Instant communication with your friends.
  • Fast Charging - Using the charger delivered with the device, charging is super fast. Go from 0-50% in 30 minutes.

In summary, of course the newer phone works better, has better features in both hardware and software. It is interesting to see how far phone technology moves in just a couple of years. Now you see why people like to upgrade more often when you realize how much better the new devices truly are. If you have the opportunity to upgrade, I highly recommend it!

That's all for now,

Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.