cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors– Galaxy Note Edge: First impression

Sprint Product Ambassador

The long awaited Galaxy Note Edge finally arrived.  My one word to describe the Galaxy Note Edge is: Beautiful!

The spec of this device has been presented in several web sites and blogs, therefore, I do not list them out here again.

The packaging is similar to what you get with every smart phone today, but my instinct told me there was something special about this phone:

As a bonus, Samsung does give you a pair of ear headphone for this device.  I have not used it but I think it would be as good as the one you used to get with previous smart phones.  The charger is a special fast charger which Samsung claims that can charge the device battery in 30 minutes.

The device spec alluded me to think the device is a huge device like the Galaxy Note 4 or the other iconic plus device.  However, I was surprised to have the device in my hand and did not feel it is a “huge” device.  I actually went into a Sprint store on the weekend to compare the size against the Galaxy Note 4 and confirmed that I do get a big screen phone, but does not look intimidating like the Note 4 or the other big device.  Must be because of the device curved edge or just me being bias that I feel the device is nicely fit in my hands (I do not have big hands)!!

The following photos show you the relative size of the Galaxy Note Edge compared to the Galaxy S4.

The device just looks a tad bigger than the S4 and a tiny bit thinner.

After more than a week playing with the Galaxy Note Edge, although being a power smart phone user, I still find there are many things and features on this device that I have not been able to take advantage of.  It is truly an amazing device which I never had the experience that after a week of using the device I still have the feeling that I have not used up to 50% of the features that the device is capable of. But below are some of my initial impressions:

• The curved edge is certainly a very innovative concept.  The curved edge display has many functions that will deserve one or more write up.  The amazing thing is that there are actual two distinct screen displays: the flat surface, and the curved one.  It is really amazing technology, and needless to say: Beautiful!

• The curved display provides notification and button functions that do not clutter your screen.  One thing that I have to be careful with is that the call on-hook icon is on the curved display, so there were a couple of time that I touched that area while on the phone conversation and hang up the phone call.

• The finger print scanner is nice so I do not have to enter the unlock password. However, I am still learning the techniques on how to increase the probability of recognition.  I originally had 20% success and now have increased to around 50%. I will play with the scanner and will report here if I find a good recipe for finger print scanning.

Bye for now.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.