cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge

1 Comment

887276092829_A.jpg

The Note Edge is a great device, and I don’t have much I would change about it. Samsung’s Note products have always been the top tier in quality, and this one is no exception. The hardware is great, the software is innovative and all the components are top notch. It has a great feel in your hand, and it works great whether you are taking pictures with the awesome camera, reading emails on the bright and crystal clear screen or taking notes with the unique stylus.

After using this phone for a couple of months, here’s what I think are the best selling features

• Large, high resolution screen
  • Unique and innovative edge display adds real functionality to the device - not just a gimmick
  • Integrated S-Health features for tracking health, fitness and biometrics eliminate the need to carry a separate fitness tracker
  • Cameras capture great images and even perform well in low light situations
  • Fingerprint scanner adds extra security to keep your data safe
  • Stylus both fun and useful for doodling or taking a quick note

The drawbacks are mostly based on personal preference, but you should definitely consider:

• Size of the device make some one-handed operations difficult.
  • Battery life: Still lasts me the whole day, but sometimes just barely
  • Premium device comes at a premium price

I will mention several people on here have said they have had problems with the device dropping calls, and I have not ever experienced this. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, just that I haven’t seen it on my phone.

I would highly recommend this device if you’re like me and you want to have the a high quality high-tech. Especially if you want to have a large screen and have a device something different than just the generic Android device. With the edge screen, stylus and finger print scanner this device really delivers in that area.

That’s all for now -- Your Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

As always, Samsung doesn't shy away from trying new things to dazzle us, or experiment and the Note Edge was no disappointment. Initially having a new side screen was weird but after using it for a few days, one could not not have it on other phones. You just get used to the usability of this new feature. And there is so much room to grow as Samsung opened up its API's developers.

http://img.talkandroid.com/uploads/2014/09/samsung_galaxy_note_edge_curved_not_bent-630x315.jpg

However just with any experiment, there are its costs, in the Edge's case, literally. The device costs way too much and due to that, and the complexity of its production techniques, Samsung could not produce as many. This made it difficult for many users to experience the this feature rich device. That said, I believe Samsung learned a great deal and will use its knowledge to make things better for the next generation of smart phones (hint: the Galaxy S6 Edge).

http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Edge-Photos-4.jpg

That being said, I still believe this is a phenomenal phone which does not disappoint in any category. For any Samsung Note love, this phone is super handy, full of features and customizations, does everything one would require and hopefully with the API's developers can unlock more potential for this device in the months to come.

In the end I would like to close out my blog series by saying good job Samsung on another great product and entering this new frontier of edges and I can't wait to see how they do in this years lineup with these features.

Until Next Time.

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Firstly, you may be wondering why I said the Galaxy Note Edge camera is ALMOST perfect.  This is because I hear the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge is even better.  For me I have been amazed with the image quality I get from the Galaxy Note Edge.

Recently, I took some photos using the Galaxy Note Edge around the Washington DC Tidal Basin area during the Cherry Blossom blooming period (these photos have been reduced in size to 1200 pixel for displaying here):

20150411_082224-1200x.jpg

20150411_075458-1200x.jpg

As you can see, the color, the lighting and the sharpness is unmatched! Samsung has really perfected the software algorithm to generate pictures from its sensor.  With the 16+ mega pixel camera, I can easily enlarge these photos on large prints.

One of the most impressive feature of this camera is the ability to take sharp pictures at low light. I took a picture of my model, Bowie, using the same auto settings and without flash of the Galaxy Note Edge and the Galaxy S4 (which I considered to be a very good camera).  Bowie is sitting under my dining table here there was not a whole lot of light.  Here are the two pictures, all I can say is WOW!

20150408_211725-1200x.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge

20150408_211744-1200x.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S4

The two devices are about 2 years apart and Samsung has gone a long long way. My hats off to the Samsung engineers!

Bye for now.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

So I wanted to show the true capabilities of the camera on the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge.  I pulled some photos from different sites since I am not the best photographer.

Taken from Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Review: The Future Of Smartphones Is Here - Forbes

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/ianmorris/files/2014/12/2014-12-10-16.11.17-1940x1091.jpg

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/ianmorris/files/2014/12/2014-12-10-16.11.41-1940x1091.jpg

Taken from: Samsung Galaxy Note Edge - Medium light - image from Samsung Galaxy Note Edge vs Samsung Galaxy Note...

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/reviews/168490-image/023-A-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Edge-strong-samples.jpg

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/reviews/168446-image/001-A-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Edge-samples.jpg

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/reviews/168470-image/013-A-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Edge-samples.jpg

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/reviews/168478-image/017-A-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Edge-HDR-samples.jpg

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

After these last few weeks, I’m still amazed at the amount of use I get from the second screen with the Note Edge. I will admit, I wasn’t sure how practical the edge screen was. However, almost immediately the Edge became a must have for me, and something I missed on other devices. Having a separate screen that houses a quick app launch location no matter what app I’m using is extremely useful. But I also find a great deal of use from the other screens that I’m able to choose.

Between the camera controls, music controls, sports scores, and Twitter trends, the side stream of information is something I will be looking forward to on future devices for (hopefully) many iterations to come.

Additionally, Samsung’s Note series got another amazing device in its lineup with the Note Edge. The SPen, beautiful screen, amazing features, and quality design is something I may have come to expect; yet still surprised at the execution by Samsung. They are the pioneers of the “Phablet” space, and continue to set the gold standard.

I can’t recommend the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge enough. The Edge screen is an instant conversation starter, and the form-factor invites you to rethink how you use your phone. The internal components work together so smoothly, as you would expect from an OEM like Samsung, and gives the user a fantastic, one-of-a-kind experience.

Thanks for reading, for more information you can go to Samsung Galaxy Note Edge

- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

I found a great review and comparison of both the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge.

Design

Both phones are quite alluring with their new curvy features, but not only does the Galaxy S6 Edge have two curves on its touchscreen -- Samsung redesigned the Galaxy S lineup for this year, and the cheap feeling plastic has been replaced by an all metal solid chassis and Gorilla Glass 4 on both sides.

Final design consideration? One Edge doesn't look as cool as two.

Point: Galaxy S6 Edge (but with reservations)

Hardware Specs

The Samsung Galaxy S6 and its Edge variant have some of the best hardware currently offered, but Samsung's Galaxy Note series, even at half-a-year older, is known for bringing some heavy-hitting specs as well.

Speaking of seeing, the Galaxy Note Edge's larger display is capable of Quad HD (2560 x 1600p) resolution, making it ready for the mobile VR age. The S6 Edge isn't much to sneeze at though, with its own 2K resolution on a 5.1-inch screen (2560 x 1440p).

Point: Samsung Galaxy Note Edge

The Edge

Of course, the most important aspect of these phones is the sloped screens, which are similar, but have some differences that set them apart.

For some reason, Samsung didn't find the practicality of the tool set worth keeping for the Galaxy S6 Edge, so instead, they built in a VIP contacts section, where each of five selected contacts gets a customized color that lights up on the edge whenever you're getting a call or text. It's useful, but a little more flash than substance.

Point: Samsung Galaxy Note Edge

Conclusions, Availability, & Price

If you're looking for high functionality and a little style, go for the Galaxy Note Edge. If you don't need a big-screened supercomputer in your pocket (just a small one will do), and like the premium feel of an iPhone or HTC One, the Galaxy S6 Edge is definitely the "edge" you want.

Both devices are available on multiple carriers in the U.S. right now, and both devices will run a pretty penny, even with a carrier-subsidized contract signing or renewal.

To see the full review visit: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge vs Galaxy Note Edge Comparison Review: Specs, Price, Release Date, Features -...

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Edge.jpg

The Note edge is one of the best devices I have ever used and I hope Samsung is making a note edge 2 this fall.  This was my first Note series phone and I am definitely impressed.  The phone’s large screen is sweet. The size and weight of the phone are even better. This phone is a perfect fit for me.   My favorite feature is the s-pen, I like it so much I will be looking for a Samsung Note tablet that has the S-pen because having an S-pen on a bigger screen would be amazing.  The edge screen is a first of its kind and Samsung devices always get better, and my first thoughts on the edge screen was that it would be a gimmick, but I was wrong.  The edge screen is very useful and makes using a phone this powerful easier with the notifications and quick launch features which make multitasking easier.  This phone is amazing there is no reason to second guess purchasing it, you won’t be disappointed.

Thanks for reading have a good day!

0 Comments

Now I realize these two phones are not really competitors but I thought it would be interesting to compare how far the phone has come after two major revisions. The Note II was a popular device when I bought it a couple years ago and still know people using it.

Device Size

The size of the device might be the first thing you wonder - is the Note Edge bigger? Well it is ever so slightly bigger, but not so much that you would notice. The new device is also .04 inches slimmer and the screen size is .01 inches larger on the diagonal.

DimensionNote EdgeNote II
Length5.96"5.95"
Width3.24"3.17"
Height.33".37"
Screen Size5.6"5.5"

Here are some comparison shots:

2015-04-01 08.40.49.jpg

Side by side with the Note Edge on the left.

2015-04-01 08.40.30.jpg

Stacked up with the Note II on top.

Screen

After the size, the next thing you might notice is the differences in the display. The screen of the Note Edge has a much higher resolution and almost doubles the pixel density. As I compare the two, I notice how much better the screen renders images and text. The colors are brighter and text is much clearer and easier to read, especially at smaller font sizes. Below are some of the quick stats on the screen.

DimensionNote EdgeNote II
Screen TypeSuper AMOLED Quad HDSuper AMOLED Plus
Resolution1600 x 2560720 x 1280
Pixel Density524 ppi

267 ppi

Network Compatibility

The Note Edge also has the ability to communicate with the Sprint Spark network. As Sprint continues to upgrade towers to take advantage of the high band 2.5GHz spectrum for high speed and high capacity data transfer and the low band 800 MHz spectrum for building penetration and greater signal strength over longer distances - the Note Edge will be equipped to take advantage of it. While the Note II does support LTE, it is limited to the original 1900 MHz bands that were rolled out first.

Camera

The Note II has a 8 MP rear camera with a 1.9 MP selfie camera. The Note Edge has a 16 MP camera with a 3.7 MP selfie camera. In addition to the higher resolution pictures, you get new features of HDR which balances the light and dark in your pictures and optical image stabilization to help reduce movement blur. I've also noticed the Note Edge has much better image capture in lower light situations.

2 Pic1.jpg Edge Pic1.jpg

The image on the left was taken with the Note II and the image on the right was taken with the Note Edge. The flash was not used for either image, but the Note Edge captures much more light. Below is a picture taken under better lighting conditions. I think the color on the Note Edge is brighter and the image is less grainy.

2 Pic2.jpg

Taken with the Note II.

Edge Pic2.jpg

Taken with the Note Edge.

With the Note Edge, there are also a number of new software and hardware features.

• Edge Screen - Of course the edge screen is kind of the premier feature of the Note Edge. It allows access to clock, notifications, shortcuts and more.
  • S-Health - Track your steps, heart rate, diet and more with the new S-Health App and sensors.
  • Fingerprint Scanner - Unlock your phone, authorize pay pal purchases and more using the built in fingerprint scanner.
  • Wi-Fi Calling - Call using the Wi-Fi network when you don't have a good signal indoors.
  • Smart Remote - Control your TV and cable box. Just set this up last night and it's pretty cool. Quick
  • Sprint Direct Connect Now - Instant communication with your friends.
  • Fast Charging - Using the charger delivered with the device, charging is super fast. Go from 0-50% in 30 minutes.

In summary, of course the newer phone works better, has better features in both hardware and software. It is interesting to see how far phone technology moves in just a couple of years. Now you see why people like to upgrade more often when you realize how much better the new devices truly are. If you have the opportunity to upgrade, I highly recommend it!

That's all for now,

Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

As I am showing pictures to some family & friends via Chromecast of a Trip to NYC my father in-law asks me, “What camera did you use to take these? These are some great shots.” I respond to him with “Well these were all taken with my phone.”  He looks at me like I am full of it, partially because his company provided phone (a Blackberry – yes I know crazy to hear that name but it comes with the gig) does not even come close to the quality of pictures that my Note Edge produces.  Luckily enough we head out the next day to the Tulip Festival in Mt Vernon, WA and what a great opportunity to see just how good this camera really is.

JPEG_20150218_075343_45423288.jpg20150215_162208.jpg

Now I am not a professional photographer and my selfie skills suck.  But I think I have a halfway artistic photo eye and if nothing else I try to emulate shots that I have seen that I thought looked beautiful or cool.  Bonus of the day is that it is partially sunny yet overcast at times – on Washington they are AW/YEA days. Clouds cover the sun – AW; Sun pop out, YEA!  So I grabbed my Note Edge, tuned on the HDR feature on the camera and started shooting pics of the tulips.

20150327_111632.jpg20150327_111433.jpg

Using the Camera on the Note Edge is a little different if you have not already upgraded to Android 5 Lollipop.  For NON-Lollipop user you will find your Camera Button on the edge screen, but for those on Lollipop you will see the Camera Button in the more regular spot on the right side (if your Edge Screen is facing up) of your screen near the Home button.  You have a number of picture modes available (which I will highlight in another blog) to get the picture you want.  This is definitely one of the better cameras on any phone I have used and I have used/owned a number of Android, iOS & Windows devices.  So grab your Class 10 or better micro SD card, your Note Edge and go take some great pictures to share.

Your Product Ambassador – Patrick

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

0 Comments

Having a life of a Sprint Product Ambassador, I often switch my phone back and forth.

Last week I switched to use another brand Android smart phone.  After a few days, I heard complaints regarding that I did not reply to text messages or missing phone calls to me!  This puzzled me a bit as I am usually quite responsive in acting on my messages.

It took me a while to realize that, on the phone other than the Note Edge, I get the tiny notification icon on the “cluttered” top status bar:

2015-04-20 20.53.23.png

Whereas on the Note Edge, the notification comes clearly on the edge screen:

2015-04-20 20.26.04.jpg

I also have the Samsung flip cover.  Each time I flip the cover, the notifications are clearly shown up.

There are a lot of wonderful things with the Note Edge side screen, but this feature is clearly one of the many useful features that I enjoyed.

Bye for now.

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

so by now we have seen a lot of cool features of the Note Edge. The usual are there which are also shared with this Note 4 brother. However, on the edge side, what else can we do? why is it so special? is there anything relevant out there? Well i will go over a few options I like to use on a regular basis that make my life a bit easier.

First thing that I have already mentioned in another blog, is the night clock. It is by far one of my favorite and most used features on this device. So as I have a full blog on it, I shall not repeat myself. Here is the link.

If you venture out to the Edge settings by swiping up from the bottom corner and hitting the clog button, the top menu item is Manage Panels. Go ahead and hit that. This is where you can add or take out panels for your Edge screen. So there are some default ones that you could leave on there as seen below:

Screenshot_2015-04-20-11-53-13_resized.png

However you can download more panels from the Galaxy store. Just hit the upside down arrow on the top right and you will land here:

Screenshot_2015-04-20-11-53-52_resized.png

Here you see some Samsung built as well as use built panels. My 3 favorites are the first 3 from the left.

The EdgeBoard is a third party panel created by Joseph Mortar. It expands on your ability to add more shortcuts and content on your panel.

Screenshot_2015-04-20-12-15-45_resized.png

The second one is Everything Edge. This is where you can actually download from a host of various cool images to be your default edge screen especially when the phone is locked. Showcase your favorite sports team, or TV show, the list is endless. Some images cost a bit so beware.

Screenshot_2015-04-20-12-16-20_resized.png

Finally the S Planner widget by Samsung provides a nice calendar view for your Edge panel. It displays all your upcoming meetings so you dont have to open your calendar app. Pretty snazzy.

Screenshot_2015-04-20-12-14-07_resized.png

There you have it. A few cool little things for you to explore. There are a few games too but that's for another day.

-- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Some of the default settings on most Android devices do not work well for me. Below are six things I always do whenever I activate a new phone. I find these things make the device easier to use and in some cases less annoying!

1. Change the text message sound to something unique. I like to be able to tell when my phone makes a sound what it is. If your text messages sound different than email, Twitter, Facebook updates it’s easier to tell if it’s something important that requires your attention. Messages List > … Menu > Settings > Notifications > Notification Sound

Screenshot_2015-04-17-16-42-51.png

1. Set Touch Key Light to Always on. Fumbling around to find the back button, especially when the phone is new is not fun. Change the settings so that the touch key lights are always on and they will be lit up whenever your screen is on. Settings > Display and Wallpaper > Touch key light duration > Always on

touchkeylight.png

1. Turn off Touch Sounds. Does your phone make a sound every time you touch something? That can annoy those around you, especially in quiet situations. Settings > Sounds and Notifications > Other sounds > Uncheck Touch Sounds

keytouchsounds.jpg

1. Turn off Email Notification Sound. If you have your work email synced to your phone and you get as many emails as most of us do, your phone is probably constantly chirping throughout the day and is another form of distraction. You can turn off the sound but still get a notification in the drop-down menu and LED light flash when you get new messages. Email > … Menu > Settings > Manage Accounts > Your Email Address > Notification Sound > Pick the one called Silent

textmsgsound.png

1. Set up trusted devices or locations to bypass your password lock. New feature for Android Lollipop where you can skip your password while at home or when connected to your bluetooth device. Menu > Security > Smart Lock then click on trusted devices or trusted places to enable

smartlock.png

1. Backup Photos Online. If you ever lose or break your phone beyond repair, you may lose some great photos. Enable automatic backups of your photos. Two easy solutions are Google Photos, which should be pre-installed, or Dropbox’s Carousel. Enter either of these apps to be prompted to back up. Then if your phone goes kaput, your photos will be safe!

backup.png

What are your favorite settings to tweak? I’d love to hear your suggestions too!

That’s all for now

Your Product Ambassador Team.

0 Comments

Capture.PNG

This phone is a monster, it looks great and keeps you working.   The unique feature on the note edge is the notifications on the edge display. Whatever you’re doing like playing a game, watching a movie, or typing an email, when a notification comes in it won’t disrupt your work it will simple display the notification on the edge display and keeps you from having to stop working.  This is great when watching a video or playing a game and you don’t want to be interrupted you can see who texted you and decide whether or not if you want to stop and answer or wait until later this is great for me especially when I playing a game and can’t stop to take a text or a call from my wife, she can wait.   If you’re looking to be able to do seamless work without interruptions the Note Edge is all you need. 

0 Comments

Everyone except the developers at Google who came up with the idea blocking SD card write access would have been happy when Google reversed that policy in Lollipop. So, last week when I found out the new Lollipop software update for the Galaxy Note Edge, I jumped right on the update.

I did a quick test:

All my screenshots were automatically saved on the internal storage (wish there is a setting option to set the defaults so that all screenshots will get to be stored on the external SD card). The following steps will show how I can move the screenshot files from the internal storage to the external SD card:

1. Open the “My Files” app and go to the Device Storage -> Pictures -> Screenshots and select all the screenshot files that you want to move to the external SD card then press on the Menu” (3 dots) at the top right hand corner

Screenshot_2015-04-15-18-18-37.jpg
  2. Select Move
    Screenshot_2015-04-15-18-19-42.jpg
  3. Now selecting the external SD Card and navigate to the destination folder:

Screenshot_2015-04-15-18-20-04.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-15-18-20-33.jpg
  4. Can create a new folder if you want to:
    Screenshot_2015-04-15-18-21-05.jpg
  5. Once you have reached the destination folder, select “MOVE HERE”
    Screenshot_2015-04-15-18-21-48.jpg

Voila!  All files were moved to the external SD card.  This was not possible under KitKat! Just hope the apps like email, browser will be updated to provide option taking advantage of storing their download data on the external SD card

Bye for now.

Hung Bui

0 Comments

spen-image.jpg

The Note Edge has been an awesome device to use. Amazing screen, awesome camera, unique design, and overall just a really good looking phone. The Note series became so popular not only because of its size, but also because of the S Pen. I have used a few other devices with a stylus, but I almost never used it. The S Pen has some really cool and creative features that really make using the S Pen a normal part of your experience with the phone. I can say that I really have grown accustomed to having it there, and when I switch devices I really miss that feature. Here are some of my favorite uses for the S Pen:

S Note – On most phones I will use either Google Keep or send texts to my wife to keep notes and memos. One of the main reasons I keep notes on my phone is when I go grocery shopping. I love being able to write down a list with the pen and cross off items easily when I am at the store. It makes life so much easier than going into a phone and putting a check next to an item or trying to erase it. I also can make handwritten notes and send them to my wife via text. I can remind her of important things or just write a quick note to say I love you.

Screen Capture – All phones have a pretty quick way to get a screenshot these days. The S Pen makes it even easier by the press of a button. The best part about getting the screenshot is that you can make notes on it or point to important information. As soon as you capture the image you can immediately start editing it and easily save or send it.

I also use the S Pen to draw pictures on Draw Something and to doodle when I am bored. It’s awesome that it knows when it has been detached from the phone and it automatically brings up the menu of features. I know some people own the Note Edge or Note 4 and never use their S Pen. I found out pretty quickly that it really is an essential part of the device!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

I was talking with one of my colleagues the other day who had recently purchased the Samsung Note Edge and she was asking me questions about it since she was new to Samsung devices and as I was showing her my Note Edge she was in awe that my Edge Screen had different screens from hers.  So it got me thinking that she’s not the only Note Edge user out there that doesn’t know not how to change her Edge Screen to fit her use.  So first things first there are a couple of ways to get started doing this. You can go in to Settings then Device then click on Edge Screen.  The faster way is direct from your home screen (or any screen where you can access your Edge Screen) swipe up on the arrow then click the gear symbol which will put you right into the Edge Screen management screen.

Screenshot_2015-04-12-21-27-17.pngScreenshot_2015-04-13-09-49-49.jpg

From here you have a few different options to customize your experience.  I would recommend jumping into the 1st option – MANAGE PANELS.  In here you will be able to select up to 10 panels to be displayed, rearrange them to the order you want them to be in as you swipe and you can even download custom panels from the Galaxy Apps store.

Screenshot_2015-04-12-21-27-28.pngScreenshot_2015-04-12-21-27-51.png

The other option I use is the Night Clock.  This is great if like me you use your phone as your alarm clock, because you can set your Edge Screen to turn on a low lit clock during your personalized hours of “sleep”. (Picture courtesy of gavinsgadgets.com via Google Image search)

wpid-20141212_232928.jpg

The last option I think is a fun must was the Express Me option, which allows you to modify the background look of your Edge Screen.  May be minor for some but personally for me I like that similar to my home screen I can choose my background picture to the Edge Screen.  As you will see there are a few additional options and I would recommend playing around with them to make them best work for your personal Edge Screen experience.

Screenshot_2015-04-13-10-36-52.png

Your Sprint Product Ambassador - Patrick

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

0 Comments

Samsung Note Edge – Note series features

Besides the fact that the Edge on the new Samsung Galaxy Note Edge is one of the coolest things I’ve seen in a long time, the phone itself is quite impressive as well. I think because of all of the awesome that goes along with something like the Edge panel, a lot of other stuff may get overlooked. Like the fact that this device belongs to the Samsung Note Series. Which means it comes with the amazingly designed SPen. Or that premium leather-like design and feel that Note users have become accustomed to. You don’t get those things on just any device.

The SPen alone comes with so many great features like SNote, screen write, and action memos. The stylus works so well with the phone, you don’t even have to touch the screen. You can have the pen close to the screen and press the button on the pen, and a little wheel of options pops up for you to choose your SPen application to start up. Action memos are my favorite. You can handwrite a phone number, or email address, or street address, and with the tap of a few buttons, you can turn that handwriting into a phonecall, email, or google map directions.

You also get S-Voice. S-Voice is Samsung’s personal assistant application which allows you to control your phone with your voice. You can even wake your phone up by saying “hi Galaxy” when the right setting is enabled. S-Voice can get you directions to the closest restaurant, email your boss, or make a phone call with you. It can also be tailored to a male or female voice with different accents/languages available for download.

One of my favorite features on the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge is the fingerprint scanner. I absolutely love the idea of having just my fingerprint to unlock a device. It was super easy to setup under the lockscreen settings. I just configured a couple of my fingers, and set up a backup pin, in case my fingerprints get burned off, and I was good to go. Now when I want to get into my phone, I swipe the home button (downward) with one of the fingers I set up, and voila, my phone is unlocked. At first it seemed kind of clunky, and I couldn’t get my finger to swipe correctly. The phone would tell me “swipe the whole pad” or “swipe faster.” But after using it for a couple of days, I got used to the cadence of the scanner, and what type of movement it is looking for. I hope more OEMs follow suit and incorporate fingerprint scanners as a way to unlock devices. We should all get to feel like we’re opening a secure briefcase with supersecret contents inside!

0 Comments

Note Edge Wallet Cover

The Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and the Samsung Wallet cover are a match made in Heaven. Well, actually they were both made at Samsung, but you know what I mean. Of course the main attraction of the Note Edge is, well… the Edge! And its allure of productivity shouldn’t be covered up by some tacky case. It would defeat the purpose! The Wallet cover has all the right parts of you device covered, leaving the Edge screen exposed.

Wallet Cover 1.png   Wallet Cover 3.png

But it’s also a smart cover. Which means it can tell the phone: “Hey, I’m protecting the screen right now, but you should still let your owner interact with this fancy edge screen.” You can still swipe through your panels, see your notifications, answer a call and more all the while your beautiful primary screen is protected. The other fancy thing a “smart cover” does is automatically turn your display on when you open your Wallet Cover. Or, turn your display off when you close it. This saves your battery life, as well as provides you with some convenience when you need to use your phone.

This particular case is made with a polyurethane leather that, similar to the back of the note series, maintains the premium feel of the device. It comes in two colors, black and white. This is a serious case for the serious user, so flashy colors are out the window (or on the display rather.) You may have notice the word “wallet” in the name. The inside of the front flap has a wallet pocket that can hold a few cards to free up some of you pants pocket space. Since I don’t usually carry cash anyway, all I need is my debit card, insurance card, and my driver’s license. A perfect fit for this case.

Wallet Cover 2.png

Finally, the back of the case actually replaces the original back panel of the phone. This is to maintain the slim feel of the device by not adding the extra bulk a normal case would. This is a fantastic case for the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge. I think If you are a fan of the Edge, you will be a big fan of this case. And it really highlights the utility of the Edge screen by allowing the user to interact while the rest of device is dormant.

0 Comments

Note Edge Edge second screen controls.

Have you ever tried to take a picture, but the shutter control isn’t in a good position? Or maybe the positioning is good for your hand, but the virtual button covers part of the screen, so you end up with something unintended at the bottom of your frame. Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a second screen that could contain the operational controls of your camera without interfering with the shot? Thank you Samsung for inventing a device that provides this utility.

The Samsung Galaxy Note Edge provides users with the perfect design for games, reading, music, and yes- even taking pictures. The second screen gives you all of the controls (and more in some cases) without taking up your viewing space.

Note Edge Camera Controls.jpg

Source: The Verge

Similarly, the second screen also allows you to change tracks in your music app without having the change apps to do it. You can be reading your favorite blogger and listening to some tunes. As soon as that one song/artist pops up that you don’t like (maybe you share a music library with your significant other and don’t share the same affinity for Britney Spears…) you can switch to the next song without losing your place on the current article. It truly gives a whole new outlook on multi-tasking on your device.

Screenshot_2015-04-12-14-47-43.png

Finally, have you ever been playing an awesome game on your phone, and you’re just about to hit the new highscore mark, and someone calls you? If so, (and you don’t have a Note Edge) the notification may have popped up right over the middle of your game viewing area. Or worse, kicked you out of the application altogether. Fear not any longer…. The Note Edge conveniently puts all of your notifications on the secondary edge screen. You’ll be able to continue your game without interruption. Unless of course the call is from your wife because you’re sitting in your car in the garage playing a game on your phone. You might want to go ahead and answer that one.

0 Comments

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Edge.jpg

The hardest part of using the Note Edge is I cannot go back to a regular smartphone.  The note edge is amazing, the size is perfect I am a bigger guy so it feels great in my hand and with the screen being large makes it easier to view its just perfect for me. The note Edge just received Android 5.0.1 which makes a world of difference in my opinion.  The phone is running smoother and faster, the visual appeal hasn’t changed much with the phone unlike the Nexus device.  My favorite part of this update roll out is when it was available I was able to update right away and not have to wait for my turn, on my nexus tablet it took 2 days after the complete roll out for me to be able to receive the update.  The update brings a few minor things like factory rest protection, wifi calling enhancements and the best is the lock screen notifications are better. This is a very large download it is 1 gb in size which will take a while to download.  I think lollipop is a great update from Google by far the best one I have seen visual and performance wise.  Download it and enjoy it.

10 Comments

The Android 5.0 (Lollipop) update is NOW available for the Samsung Galaxy NoteEdge!

Software version: N915PVPU0AOC8

• Android 5.0 (Lollipop)
  • Wi-Fi Calling enhancements
  • Factory Reset Protection

Fair warning - the update is LARGE, ~1 GB in size. It is available for all Note Edge owners OTA (over the air) as of 9 April, 2015. If you don't have a good to excellent Wi-Fi network at home or office then you will want to update OTW (over the wire) via Samsung Kies.

update.png

Samsung distributes their own MRs (maintenance releases) so once released they are available to all device owners at the same time (unlike Google who prefers stages roll-outs over weeks). I've updated my Note Edge and so far I think it's a WIN! I like the extra security features of Android Lollipop. I like the lock screen notifications and I'm getting better battery life.

I know of lot of you have been waiting for the Lollipop update so get to it! Let us know what you think by posting a comment below.

Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

screenshot.jpg

In my past blogs I have talked a lot about the Edge screen on the Note Edge. While these features is what makes the phone stand out, many basic features that are found on the Note 4 are what make this phone truly amazing. The screen is probably the best I have seen on any phone and the camera is spectacular. I have had the chance to use the Nexus 6 and I can say that these are the two best phones I have ever used. Here are some of the best all-around features of the Galaxy Note Edge:

Camera – Many phones claim to have the best camera, but the Galaxy Note Edge has hands down the best camera I have ever used on a mobile device. One really cool feature is that the camera button and options are located on the edge screen, which make it really easy to use. My niece loves taking pictures so I let her use the Note Edge and now she is hooked. She is planning on switching as soon as she can upgrade.

Screen – The size and clarity of the screen is really top notch. Samsung has always made some of the best screens, but this one outdoes all the others. The colors are crisp and clear and the phone looks really bright.

Edge Screen – I really didn’t think I would use the Edge screen as much as I have. I love the different customization options and the way the notifications show up on the Edge screen instead of up top on the phone. I would love more people to try out the Edge so developers could get behind it and make some awesome new features.

“The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.”

0 Comments

Galaxy-Note-Edge_black-white.jpg

I have become a fan of S Health. Samsung has done a great job updating it with new features to make it more robust over the past year. I have a Samsung Gear S that I partner it up with and it helps keep all my fitness goals/progress in one place. The Samsung Note Edge has the awesome screen on the side of the phone which you can customize with what you want to see. One of the options is to show S Health so you can keep track of your steps. I now use it as my main edge screen so I can get up to the minute updates.

S Health allows me to combine nutrition with exercise to make sure I am staying as healthy as possible. I didn’t really know how much I would use the Edge screen, but features like S Health really became an everyday use for me. Now when I switch to other phones I find myself trying to look at the side of the phone for my progress and to view notifications. Some people called the Edge screen a gimmick that would not be useful, but I have grown to really love it and count on it for a lot of daily use on my phone.

“The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.”

0 Comments

Something unique to Samsung is the Multi Window feature. Having a beautiful and large 5.6 inch display gives you even more reason to want to multi-task and have multiple windows on your device. It is a fantastic feature that is lacking on so many other devices, but is available on the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge.

multiwindow.png

So what exactly is Multi Window? You know how on your computer you’re able to access multiple windows and program at the same time? This is what Samsung has brought to the Note Edge. Multi Window allows you to open applications in split screen view using the “Recents” key, as pop-ups, and from the Multi Window tray. You can adjust the size of the windows, copy information from one app to another, and more.

Enabling Multi Window

Enabling Multi Window is pretty simple. To do this, simply...

1. Drag down from the top of your Note Edge
  2. Select Multi Window

enablingmw1.png

Or, from the home screen, select Apps > Settings > Multi Window

enablingmw2.png

After you enable Multi Window, it does take a little bit of time to become familiar with it. There is a great “Help” section that you can access by visiting…. Apps > Settings > Multi Window > Settings (3 vertical dots in upper-right hand corner) > Help. This area gives a good overview on how to use Multi Window. Something to note: not all apps are Multi Window compatible.

usingmultiwindow.png

Multi Window is a useful feature that you should give a shot, especially on the magnificent Galaxy Note Edge screen. Play around with it and have some fun in your multi-tasking world!

The Samsung Galaxy Note Edge is available for purchase at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

One of the unique features of the Samsung Galaxy Note Series is that of the S Pen. That being said, the S Pen is included with the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge device.

Having a large 5.6 inch screen warrants the use of an S Pen, in my opinion. The S Pen is no ordinary “stylus” and offers a lot of unique features, which are listed below.

Smart Select

Allows you to freely select text and content on any screen to share and save.

Photo Note

Take photos with Photo Note, converting analog to digital. You can also edit notes, change colors, and add memos with the S Pen.

Advanced S Pen

The S pen on the Galaxy Note Edge offers an improved digital handwriting experience through enhanced pressure sensitivity. This allows for a more precise writing experience.

You can customize the way your S Pen works by navigating to Settings > S Pen. In this area you will can access the following S Pen settings...

Air Command

When you press the pen button while hovering your S Pen over the screen, the Air Command features will appear resulting in the following options:

aircommand.png

1. Action Memo - Allows you to write memos quickly and link actions to them. You can make calls, send messages, surf online, and more.
  2. Smart Select - Allows you to quickly collect content.
  3. Image Clip - You can draw around an area of the screen that you want to save/share.
  4. Screen Write - You can capture, edit, and write memos on screenshots and share them

Air View

Allows you to preview information, extend text, or enlarge images by hovering your S Pen over the screen.

Pointer

Allows you to hover the S Pen over the screen enabling a pointer showing available actions.

Direct Pen Input

Allows you to hover the S Pen over the text input area and then tap the button to use the handwriting pad.

S Pen Alerts

Allows you to set your phone to sound an alert and show a pop-up when you walk away with your phone without attaching the S Pen. This function only works when the screen is off.

Turn Off S Pen Detection

Allows you to turn off S Pen detection when the pen is attached which prolongs battery life.

S Pen Sound

Allows you to enable sounds for Air Command, Air View, and Handwriting.

S Pen Vibration Feedback

Allows you to enable vibration for Air Command, Air View, Handwriting, and S Pen Gestures.

S Pen Detachment Options

Allows you to enable detachment options for Action Memo or Air Command.

Attach/Detach Sound

Allows you to select from three sounds for your attach/detach sound.

Attach/Detach Vibration

Allows you to receive vibration feedback when you attach/detach the S Pen.

My favorite S Pen feature is the “S Pen Alerts.” I really like the fact that it alerts you if you leave your S Pen behind. If I walk away with my S Pen on the desk and my screen is off, the Note Edge will alert me that I have left it behind. This will ensure you do not misplace your S Pen. I wish all my devices had that functionality with say… bluetooth headsets (which disappear for me like missing socks in a dryer)!

spenalert.png

The Note Edge is packed with many great features, such as the S Pen. The Samsung Galaxy Note Edge is available for purchase at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Do you recall the old days when you lost a remote control? What a pain it was to have to buy a new remote, and universal remotes could get quite pricey! In addition, what about having a container full of remotes? Explaining to visitors which remote to use can be such a challenge. Well, I’m happy to say that this no longer has to be an issue.

I have been using the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge, and one of my favorite features is that it comes with the Smart Remote app. Smart Remote by Peel Technologies is a universal remote control application that works on select devices, one of which is the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge. If the app is not resident on your device (it was already on my device), you can download it for free from Google Play.

sr1.pngsrphoneisremote.png

So, I must admit that I was hesitant about trying the Smart Remote app. Past experiences with universal remotes have left me a bit disgruntled in this space. I thought “I have such a unique setup, there is no way I will be able to get my remote to work with my system.” You see, the tv in my master is made by Hannspree, and I have been unsuccessful in the past with getting a remote to work with this set. In addition, I access my local channels through a digital antenna via my TiVo and also have a Roku attached to this set.

sr4.pngsrtvbrand.png

I am pleased to say that this Smart Remote app is really smart. It was able to pair with my unique Hannspree TV, TiVo, and Roku. In fact, it will also pair with my AppleTV and a plethora of other devices. I was, however, unable to add my Nexus Player as well as my XBox. Perhaps that functionality will be added soon. That’s okay though and I’ll take what I can get. This remote will replace my many remotes going forward. I love it!

srtivo.pngsrdevicetype.png

The nice thing about the Smart Remote is you can use it with multiple tvs and the setup process is a breeze! Smart Remote allows you to control your TV, DVD/Blu-ray player, Roku, Apple TV, TiVo, audio system and more using the built-in IR blaster on your Samsung Galaxy Note Edge. In addition, it allows you to personalize your settings, select what you like to watch, set reminders, program your DVR, and more.

srpersonalize.pngsrremoteimage.png

Another perk… if you’re a prankster you can really have some fun with this. The next time you’re at a friend’s gathering, pair up your Smart Remote with their set and control their tv.  Back in the day, the prankster in me had a device called “TV B Gone” which was on my keychain. It would simply scan for nearby television sets, pair up, and turn them off. Fun stuff! However, Smart Remote is much more fun due to having far more control. I guess I should grow up one of these days, right? ha

The Galaxy Note Edge is a sweet device full of lots of cool features, and Smart Remote is one of those features you’ll want to check out. The Samsung Galaxy Note Edge is available for purchase at Sprint.

0 Comments

One of the very cool new features on the Note Edge that I really love and have gotten used to is the night clock. Long are the days when I need an alarm clock on the side of my bed, not for alarm purposes but for actually looking at the time during the night. The Samsung Note Edge offers a unique feature where at a set time of your choosing during the night (or day for some) it would convert the edge into a night clock (see image below):

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-2m6m0d-kEXE/VJ1iWGRsDiI/AAAAAAAAaCk/KfoLJmqlMDI/w1405-h759/Noteedge_Curve-GooglePlus_V4.jpg

In order to setup the night clock, swipe up from the bottom edge of the "Edge" and hit the gear or settings button.

Click Night Clock

Hit the switch to turn it on, setup the time frame (start to end) and voila, its done. IT will display the time, the date and the weather (if enabled) throughout the night on minimal battery drain as the larger screen will be off.

So enjoy!

Until next time

-- Your Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

Below are two pictures taken from two high end devices, the Nexus 6 and the Note 4 Edge. Both pictures are subject to the same exact environmental factors and both cameras are in default mode. It is hard to say who is the winner, both devices take fantastic pictures and you will be satisfied with either phone. I just can’t choose, so the winner is in the hands of you the reader. The few changes that are present are small, the Nexus is set for 4:3 while the Edge is set for 16:9. Another difference between the devices are the options, the Nexus gives you a basic camera it rings no bells and doesn’t blow on any whistles. Samsung on the other hand has been a company that gives you entirely too many options, sometimes intimidating the end user.

I feel like in these 2 pictures the Nexus 6 wins the picture is much better you can see the depth in the woods the Edge looks flat.  Now the pictures are action shots of the subject aka big fella swinging the bat, getting the same picture is hard so I did my best.  The top picture is the Edge the bottom is the Nexus.

edge21.jpg

nexus611.jpg

These pictures of the helmet are close but the Edge pulls out on top with better color, the edge picture matches more of the actual helmet.  The top picture is the Edge the bottom is the Nexus.

edge3edited.jpg

nexus63edited.jpg

0 Comments

Firstly, I want to clarify first that I am writing this note as a guidance rather a criticism on battery performance.  The fact is that the smart phones today is so powerful, I am grateful that I can operate the device on my hand with a battery and do not have to always either carry a lead acid battery with me or constantly connect my device to a power source!

The other fact is that it depends on how much you use and the type of application you are using.  I am the one who would want to have location on all the time, the display set at the level that I can read and do not have to worry about changing it for different situation (unless I am in direct sunlight).

I have the device charged overnight.  The first list of activities for the day is: quickly checking the weather, my calendar for my coming meetings for the day, scanning through my inboxes then my Facebook wall, and listening to one or two YouTube tunes while I am preparing breakfast and packing up for work.  By the time I leave home the phone is probably down to 80-85%.

At work I often check email and use the phone to dial into one or two conference calls (so that I do not have to sit at my desk all the time).

For the Galaxy Note Edge, the battery does not quite come to last for one full day, the following showed a light day of usage (usually I would get to 40% after about 8 hours):

Screenshot_2015-03-31-16-14-12.jpg

Here is the Display brightness setting that I use:

Screenshot_2015-03-31-19-44-10.jpg

The spec says that you can charge the device in 30 minutes but I found that it will take close an hour to charge the phone from 13% to close to full (of course using the charger that was supplied with the phone), which I consider to be pretty good (on my old phones, it would take 2-3 hours to fully charge a phone.

Screenshot_2015-03-31-19-44-53.jpg

Screenshot_2015-03-31-20-49-29.jpg

In conclusion, it depends on your usage pattern, I would recommend that you have a charger on your desk at work or in your car so that you can enjoy and fully use this excellent device all day long.

Bye for now.

Hung Bui

0 Comments

Many people ask me about how well the screen of  (name some device) holds up in direct sunshine. My answer is always "I don't care what device you have in your hand, it's really hard to compete with the big ball of fire in the sky." So I'll say up front that using a modern smartphone in direct sunlight isn't so much about who "wins" the display war and more about "can it even compete?"

Today I put two of our biggest, best, heavyweight devices to a head-to-head display shootout...with the sun. Without further ado....Let's get ready to rummmmmmmble!!

In the Blue corner: Weighing in at 174 g with a 5.7" Super-AMOLED capacitive touchscreen panel able to display 16M colors at 1440 x 2560 pixels (not counting the Edge display) and 524 ppi...the Galaxy Note Edge!

In the Red corner: Weighing in at 184 g with a 5.96" AMOLED capacitive touchscreen panel able to display 16M colors at 1440 x 2560 pixels and 493 ppi...the Nexus 6 by Motorola!

The tests I performed are completely un-scientific and I did not use fancy measurement equipment. I set each device to be FULL brightness with no enhancements or auto-adjustment. I took full HDR photos with an iPhone 6 using standard settings. I took photos indoors for comparison at my desk without direct overhead lighting. I took outside photos at noon local time in full sun on a white table. I used two different wallpapers for comparison; one is a bright, multi-color graphic with bubbles; the other is black-n-white with crisp lines and gradients.

In all photos the Note Edge is on the left and the Nexus 6 is on the right.

Color wallpaper indoor:

color-indoor.jpg

Color wallpaper outdoor:

color-outdoor.jpg

Black & White wallpaper indoor:

bw-indoor.jpg

Black & White wallpaper outdoor:

bw-outdoor.jpg

As you can see, the sun is the real winner here. I tried to get the best angle to make each screen as "readable" as possible. But the results speak for themselves. Both devices "fail" in my opinion. The Nexus 6 is barely better than the Note Edge, and even that is subjective to content and viewing angle.

I decided to take a picture of each device with their quick menu pulled down to show just how difficult it is to navigate the device in full sunlight. (You'll have to take my word that each device has the quick-menu pulled down.) That said, the "winner" (if I can use that term) is the Nexus 6 and only because it's standard quick-menu uses white lettering and symbols on a charcoal background. Samsung's TouchWiz uses teal, green and dark green against a steel blue background so the contrast isn't nearly as great.

menu-outdoor.jpg

So maybe this isn't real world enough. After all, most people who are relaxing at the beach or sitting at their son's baseball game aren't messing with settings (after the initial scramble to jack up the brightness). They want to consume content. So one last test - reading news from a browser. I opened cnn.com on each device and took a picture of the front page.

browser-outdoor.jpg

The "winner" here is the Nexus 6. The contrast is better so the text is easier to read in full daylight. Notice also, there's simply more content on the screen. Look at the bottom of the image. The Nexus 6 browser page isn't cut off like it is on the Note Edge. Keep in mind that both devices have the same resolution, quad-HD.

Here's what I learned: If you must use your smartphone in direct sunlight, you're way better off using a high contrast display configuration; i.e. dark text against light or white background. Pretty much all images are washed out and you'll find yourself struggling to "look past" your own glare reflection. If you use some kind of "dark" theme for email or text, you're going to struggle in the daylight. You're better off using a light color theme. If you want to read a good book in a lounge chair by the pool or ocean, you're better off using a dedicated e-Reader with e-Ink display...or an old fashion paper book.

All that said, if you're like me and spend more time viewing your smartphone indoors, or at least when it's dark outside, then I think you'll enjoy the Super-AMOLED from the Note Edge better. The colors are a slight bit crisper. The contrast is slightly better. The blacks are a nudge deeper.

Thanks for reading. I hope this helps some of you make the best decision for purchasing one of our "phablet" smartphone devices.

Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee