cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth and voice commands question, please...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bluetooth and voice commands question, please...

I'm a noob to Samsung and Note.  I was with HTC for years and recently (last week) my EVO went through a jellybean upgrade and it introduced a gazillion bugs (many of which were declared "features" lol).  Anyway, I had been eyeing the Note II for a bit and used this as an opportunity to jump ship and move to Samsung.  Overall, I love the phone...I have a few gripes here and there, but nothing too significant.

However, I have one BIG issue which I can't find the solution.............and surely there is one as it would be kinda nutty otherwise

I love bluetooth.  I use bluetooth in my motorcycle helmet all the time (though I've not yet tested with the Note) and I currently rock the Motorola S11-HD headphones for talk/music.  On my EVO and on past phones, I only had to hit one button on my bluetooth device to initiate a phone call.  I would hit the button, voice command would popup and say something (don't remember what) and I'd say "Call John Doe" and it'd make the call.  I have noticed that if I use screen lock on my Note (and for security, of course I'd use a screen lock), I can't initiate calls by bluetooth.  If I try, the digital lady tells me how many txt messages I have but won't let me speak back to make a call.  I'm not even sure why she tells me I have two txt messages since she won't let me access them with the screen locked anyway.

The entire point (at least for me) of bluetooth is to use the phone without.....without touching the phone.  I need to keep the phone in my pocket while I'm hiking, running, rock climbing, riding a motorcycle, etc.  It doesn't make sense that I have to remove the phone from my pocket, unlock the screen, activate my bluetooth to initiate a call, turn off the phone screen, and return the phone back to my pocket....just to make a call.  Surely there is a more reasonable way to do this?  Like I said, if this is how it'll work with my motorcycle bluetooth helmet, I'll go nuts.  I can't very well fiddle with the phone on two wheels at 100mph lol.  Secondly, one o the reasons that I have a bluetooth helmet and phone is that, in the event of an accident, I can easily initiate a call for help while I'm squirting out blood and not in the mood of trying to unlock my phone while wearing motorcycle gloves.  Turning off the screen lock just isn't an option because of a) security and b) having no lock has resulted in embarrassing episodes of unintentional butt dialing (even with screen sliding).

Do you think this is more of a jellybean issue than a Note II issue?  Do other jb phones do this?

Can someone please help me? 

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Bluetooth and voice commands question, please...

Do sprint reps/customer service people read these posts?  Do they answer them?  If not, is there a place I can go to get assistance from Sprint on this matter? Thanks

Wizard

Journeyman

sprint9149 wrote:

Try app Cyberon.

forums.androidcentral.com/google-galaxy-nexus/192700-jelly-bean-bluetooth-voice-dialing-totally-usel...

Thanks!

I just read through that entire thread.  WOW.  I didn't realize that so many other people were experiencing this bug (again described as a feature).  I feel especially bad for people who are out of network range when trying to do voice dials.  I'm often on my motorcycle and waaaay away from civilization.  I guess I would've found that I would have been unable to make name-recognized calls.

JB created a number of very strange changes...and I simply don't understand the logic behind them.  I don't understand why my vocal request to call a friend also does a google search on his name before calling him (that's kinda creepy, actually).

I just have been out of the loop for a few months and really didn't read up on JB....I just assumed that it'd be better.

Per your advice (and the advice of the people in Android Central), I just purchased Cyberon.  I just wish I had more free time to mess with it to get it running.

I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about these kinds of issues.    

Journeyman

sprint9149 wrote:

Try app Cyberon.

forums.androidcentral.com/google-galaxy-nexus/192700-jelly-bean-bluetooth-voice-dialing-totally-usel...

hmmm...do you run Galaxy Note II?

I just installed Cyberon and made all the necessary changes.  It doesn't seem to work unless you press the on-screen button to activate it.  It appears that the annoying app in question on the Note is "S Voice"

I don't think Cyberon will resolve this bug afterall     

Wizard

sorry about Cyberon. I had just looked quickly today and had thought there was success with it. Looks like they'll refund within 48 hours - hope you saw that.

And what do you mean 'annoying app in question is S Voice' ?

Android calling with voice commands over bluetooth is a weird thing. Very weird. I have not understood it either. With all the advances with Voice Search, Google Voice, Translator, self driving cars, etc...it's weird to not have a viable wicked, killer voice dialing app over bluetooth.

Journeyman

sprint9149 wrote:

sorry about Cyberon. I had just looked quickly today and had thought there was success with it. Looks like they'll refund within 48 hours - hope you saw that.

Nah, you tried and I appreciate that more than you know   It has me looking for software solutions possibly.  In fact, they refunded within seconds even after I was past the 15 min refund period.  They seem very upstanding.

sprint9149 wrote:

And what do you mean 'annoying app in question is S Voice' ?

It's the app S Voice specifically that refuses to respond via from behind a locked screen.  I just came from two generations of pre-jellybean EVO phones.  Until jellybean, they used the standard voice command app which worked very, very well in almost every case.  When EVO updated to jellybean, the voice command app was replaced with the google search stuff which had issues for me on the EVO....and, of course, it does dumb stuff like google searching people's names in addition to calling them...creepy stuff. 

It seems to me that S Voice could be updated (corrected??) to allow bluetooth operation from behind a locked screen.  It already lets you control music and already tells you if you have txt msgs, etc.  It's only a logical thing (maybe even a safety issue) to allow voice dialing as well.  Consider how many bluetooth users must now pick up their phone, swipe their screen, enter their unlock code, etc., just to make a hands free bluetooth voice call....kinda funny, really.

sprint9149 wrote:

Android calling with voice commands over bluetooth is a weird thing. Very weird. I have not understood it either. With all the advances with Voice Search, Google Voice, Translator, self driving cars, etc...it's weird to not have a viable wicked, killer voice dialing app over bluetooth.

I agree.  This is something that should be so easy to do....we just need a no frills voice recognition to call people or send txt.  "Call John Doe"  "Text Susie Q"."  It just seems very easy to me.  Google messed it up with the jellybean update, in my opinion, by trying to integrate their services more fully into the voice dial features.

It's called feature creep.

Wizard

The S-Voice definitely does not work with BT very well, and on top of that there are additional lock screen options that can convolute the whole experience.  Have you looked in the turning off all the lock screen "cool" features?  How about disabling S-Voice altogether?

Journeyman

Svoice and the Galaxy are even more incompatible with my bluetooth motorcycle helmet.....handsfree isn't handsfree at all.

Isn't there someone from Sprint here to address these questions?

Journeyman

Sprint?  Are you here?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat